Revisiting one burning question about Terry — why did he buy the Sabres?

PASabreFan

Nope.

I find it ironic that people willingly clicked on a thread about Pegula's motives, didn't like it, so they turned it into a thread about PA's motives.

I click on every thread.

To the bold: Again, why do you think that is?  It couldn't have anything to do with the thousands of "Pegula bad" posts we've read in half the threads (on topic and derailed) on this board over the years.  No reason at all to look at yet another Pegula thread with a jaundiced eye given that history.

I click on every thread.

To the bold: Again, why do you think that is?  It couldn't have anything to do with the thousands of "Pegula bad" posts we've read in half the threads (on topic and derailed) on this board over the years.  No reason at all to look at yet another Pegula thread with a jaundiced eye given that history.

They were never "Pagula bad" posts, though. They were always "why was he really doing what he was doing" posts. You and many others jumped on PA because you read them as "Pagula bad" posts. But that's on you not him. 

And as it turns out, as the article in the OP says, PA was right. There was more to the story.

And it might even been all true. Does everyone really think that he bought a $225 million on a whim or without having a complete analysis done? More likely he had some high priced versions of PA, Dudacek, DeLuca compile an expert analysis of his proposed purchase and is there any doubt that in a lot more complicated way they said;

1) Good PR

2) Could help with that NYS Fracking thing

3) Take attention away from the disaster that is Penn State

4) Give your wife something to do

5) Hey, it could be fun

Not to mention a guaranteed return on investment, albeit not what you are used to.

This was a good post, BTW.

They were never "Pagula bad" posts, though. They were always "why was he really doing what he was doing" posts. You and many others jumped on PA because you read them as "Pagula bad" posts. But that's on you not him.

And as it turns out, as the article in the OP says, PA was right. There was more to the story.

You're right... all of the people that read PA's posts the same way are doing it wrong. PA posts with an axe to grind. That's fine, and it results in some good discussion, but that discussion can't exist without the questioning of PA's motives as well. You and he like to act like every single one of his posts/threads exists in a vacuum but people don't forget who said what over the years.

(As claude said upthread)

You're right... all of the people that read PA's posts the same way are doing it wrong. PA posts with an axe to grind. That's fine, and it results in some good discussion, but that discussion can't exist without the questioning of PA's motives as well. You and he like to act like every single one of his posts/threads exists in a vacuum but people don't forget who said what over the years.

I guess I just never saw an ax. Just someone whose spidey-sense was tingling.

I guess I just never saw an ax. Just someone whose spidey-sense was tingling.

Axe to grind, devil's advocate, alternative point of view.....  Whatever it is, I don;t get the angst for them.  You either wade in, or move on.  

They forget, conveniently or otherwise, and misrepresent. It's the Internet.

You mean like how you forgot about how you had claimed Pegula really isn't about winning a Cup?

The OP wasn't innocuous when people actually remember what you've posted. Time and again.

I don't know what Terry's about and neither do you. If we take Benson at his word, more than anything, Terry is about revitalizing the city. You pulled one quote of mine from last December, during the depths of a second season at the bottom of the league. Should a fan be criticized for wondering what in the world the owner is thinking? Does the owner of the Oilers or the Coyotes get the same benefit of the doubt? They must be all about winning a Cup as well.

The amount of effort put into trying to make the Pegulas into villains by a few posters is mind boggling. So he bought the team as a means to get a foot in the door on the revitalization of a city and that's supposed to be negative in any way? It's not. In fact that's a great reason to buy a team.

And I believe it was Liger who had the post that should've ended this conversation: why would this reasoning and attempting to bring a championship to the city be mutually exclusive? This city loves its sports and often times is content or not based on the performance of its teams... Happier people spend more money so winning teams would play a part in making this city better.

We can have our cake and eat it, too: we got owners who are here for the long haul and we can love them for it. It's okay to be happy about SOMETHING in your sporting fandom.

Good post. I obviously don't live in Buffalo but as someone on the outside from what I can see he has done more for that city in a short time than anyone. I only wish there was a Billionaire willing to do the same for my little city. What a fortunate stroke of luck that he chose Buffalo.

I don't know what Terry's about and neither do you.

Now we're getting somewhere. I'm in 100% agreement with this statement. However, by words (reason for existence) and actions, the overwhelming body of evidence points to Terry being about bringing championships to Buffalo, and yes tanking is part of that evidence.

Given that hes all in on a Cup and since you agree that we don't know, and likely never will know his absolute true motivations, I guess I don't really understand the constant need to try to uncover some nebulous and sometimes sinister reason for TP buying the Sabres.

I don't know what Terry's about and neither do you. If we take Benson at his word, more than anything, Terry is about revitalizing the city. You pulled one quote of mine from last December, during the depths of a second season at the bottom of the league. Should a fan be criticized for wondering what in the world the owner is thinking? Does the owner of the Oilers or the Coyotes get the same benefit of the doubt? They must be all about winning a Cup as well.

Today I'm going to drive to Rochester, it is very important to me that I do. I think I might go to Dinosaur too. Why can't I do both?

Given that hes all in on a Cup and since you agree that we don't know, and likely never will know his absolute true motivations, I guess I don't really understand the constant need to try to uncover some nebulous and sometimes sinister reason for TP buying the Sabres.

And I don't really understand what the bolded has to do with me. Maybe you've got me mixed up with someone else. None of the choices I offerered in the original poll or angles I've explored over the years are sinister in any way. Fracking? Buying one business to advance the cause of another isn't sinister. Everyone pretty much knew Rigas buying the Sabres was about Adelphia, and both entities stood to benefit until he got caught with his hand in the piggy bank. At my worst, one theory was that Pegula was less about winning a Cup and more about putting the Sabres in good footing, financial and otherwise, for the "next owner" that Ted Black spoke of one time, presumably Terry's kids. Again, hardly sinister. I don't know, what else you got?

And I don't really understand what the bolded has to do with me. Maybe you've got me mixed up with someone else. None of the choices I offerered in the original poll or angles I've explored over the years are sinister in any way. Fracking? Buying one business to advance the cause of another isn't sinister. Everyone pretty much knew Rigas buying the Sabres was about Adelphia, and both entities stood to benefit until he got caught with his hand in the piggy bank. At my worst, one theory was that Pegula was less about winning a Cup and more about putting the Sabres in good footing, financial and otherwise, for the "next owner" that Ted Black spoke of one time, presumably Terry's kids. Again, hardly sinister. I don't know, what else you got?

Off the top of my head? I seem to remember an accusation that TP was using FNC to hold meetings to advance his fracking interests. That certainly was an accusation that you tried to lay at his feet that could be considered sinister.

If you want to try to claim that you haven't attempted to paint the guy in a bad light beyond hockey decisions / meddling concerns then I guess we're done here.

Edited by Claude_Verret

I'm really with X, and that's it.

When you buy a going concern for $189MM, there are multiple things that can and should be accomplished.

pA,you seem unduly concerned with a purity and singularity of purpose. I know what he said at the opening presser. Some of that was just feel-good PR gloss. Some of it may have been naïveté, fueled by emotions of the moment. But it's not something to hang onto, as though etched in stone.

Off the top of my head? I seem to remember an accusation that TP was using FNC to hold meetings to advance his fracking interests. That certainly was an accusation that you tried to lay at his feet that could be considered sinister.

If you want to try to claim that you haven't attempted to paint the guy in a bad light beyond hockey decisions / meddling concerns then I guess we're done here.

Not an accusation. It happened. It was in the news. And I don't consider it sinister.

We are done, because now you're making things up.

I'm really with X, and that's it.

When you buy a going concern for $189MM, there are multiple things that can and should be accomplished.

pA,you seem unduly concerned with a purity and singularity of purpose. I know what he said at the opening presser. Some of that was just feel-good PR gloss. Some of it may have been naïveté, fueled by emotions of the moment. But it's not something to hang onto, as though etched in stone.

I can guarantee you that fans hang onto "Starting today..." and the notion that above all else Pegula is about winning a Cup. The disappointment will be enormous if it ever comes out that he's not "about that." And it'll take more than Benson suggesting that something else was the driving reason he bought the team.

I don't remember this. But, I remember the 80s better than last week.

Not an accusation. It happened. It was in the news. And I don't consider it sinister.

I can guarantee you that fans hang onto "Starting today..." and the notion that above all else Pegula is about winning a Cup. The disappointment will be enormous if it ever comes out that he's not "about that." And it'll take more than Benson suggesting that something else was the driving reason he bought the team.

This isn't a zero sum game. He can be fully committed to the Cup and also put effort into other things.

But why not both? You see a contradiction. I think many (most?) don't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.