Revisiting one burning question about Terry — why did he buy the Sabres?

PASabreFan

Shouldn't this thread be merged with an already existing thread on this topic.

Why is this thread allowed to stand when as the board says, the topic has been discussed many times..

I guess I don't understand this forum and its double standards. Might be why not many new fans join in

Why is this thread allowed to stand when as the board says, the topic has been discussed many times..

I guess I don't understand this forum and its double standards. Might be why not many new fans join in

Is there a reason you keep complaining about this?

I didn't just pull the opinion out of thin air. I'm not using myself as a source. To draw my conclusion, I didn't need to hear anything else besides Terry admitting he didn't know the team was for sale after the Rigas Scandal. What real fan didn't know that? My gawd. I think Terry likes hockey. He grew up a Flyers fan, got attached to the Sabres when he lived in WNY and then took to the Pens when he moved down there.

I'll say it again, I barely watched the Sabres in that time period too (although I did understand the team was for sale). If I had a couple kids and a growing business to manage, I can see it slipping though. I have one small child right now and for all the time I spend here, I can't tell you with certainty how the overtime 4-on-4, 3-on-3 stuff works nor did I know much (if anything) about Coach Challenges until getting whapped in the face with it during game #1. I also consider myself a Bills fan, but I'd be hard-pressed to name more than half a dozen starters and their positions this year. When in 20 years I'm in a position to buy both teams, I'll slink away because clearly I'm not a real fan.

This thread was originally started over a specific news article.  It just happened to go this direction. 

All About Terry Pegula?

I was going to update the original thread but it has been archived and you can't update an archived thread.

I couldn't think of any other thread to throw it into.

On the surface it's a great stroke of luck.

But I just still don't really know who he is. He came out of nowhere. A billionaire Sabres fan nobody heard of. Who made his money in a questionable industry. Who bought the team right before the sh*t hit the fan at Penn State. And now he's pretty much the owner of the city of Buffalo. 

Maybe it's nothing, but something in my gut is telling me to be cautious. 

What are you really trying to say here?

That he's the Ghost of the Ghost of Dwight Drane?

I'll say it again, I barely watched the Sabres in that time period too (although I did understand the team was for sale). If I had a couple kids and a growing business to manage, I can see it slipping though. I have one small child right now and for all the time I spend here, I can't tell you with certainty how the overtime 4-on-4, 3-on-3 stuff works nor did I know much (if anything) about Coach Challenges until getting whapped in the face with it during game #1. I also consider myself a Bills fan, but I'd be hard-pressed to name more than half a dozen starters and their positions this year. When in 20 years I'm in a position to buy both teams, I'll slink away because clearly I'm not a real fan.

Hear, hear.

I'm ashamed to admit that I took a fairly extended leave of absence from this team during a very fun era of Sabres hockey -- one that included the May Day goal. I had other stuff going on. It was pre-internet (not that that matters to Terry Pegula). Life gets in the way sometimes.

What conspiracy? You people are killing me today.

The conspiracy that the Pegula family in some way thought to take advantage of Buffalo and the it's people for some mass, untapped, potential windfall gain in money.

He's not a hero and he's not an anti-Christ. He's a decent person that wanted to buy the Sabres cause he could and thought it would be fun. A person I do business with has put it to me this way before *just ride the wave and enjoy, you may never get another*. He had a chance to buy a NHL team relatively inexpensively, then an NFL franchise the same way. The dude is riding the ultimate fan wave,   and I'm having a blast watching him.

I guess I don't get the recurrence of this theme. It's as if the motivations for Pegula's purchase of a hockey team is a matter of moral rectitude or religious purity. Or if by wanting one thing (a cup), it precludes other things (a Buffalo Renaissance). Why not both? Why not all? Why not a cup, a superbowl, a downtown stadium, a home for US hockey, and a National Cheerios Museum. Why not all? Not one diminishes the other. 

Why are we exploring this? I thought it played out. 

Edited by X. Benedict

I didn't just pull the opinion out of thin air. I'm not using myself as a source. To draw my conclusion, I didn't need to hear anything else besides Terry admitting he didn't know the team was for sale after the Rigas Scandal. What real fan didn't know that? My gawd. I think Terry likes hockey. He grew up a Flyers fan, got attached to the Sabres when he lived in WNY and then took to the Pens when he moved down there.

You did not say it was an opinion, you said it was well established that he was not that big of a fan.

As proof of this established fact, you again reference Pegula's ignorance of the team being for sale when the Rigases were arrested. When was that? 2002? Who the heck knows what was going on for Pegula back then. By my reckoning, he had three young kids in 2002 (the youngest would have been around 2 or 3 years old) and had just taken on a new COO in what I would infer was an effort to expand his company's already vast interests. Oh, and he was just 8 years away from closing on a deal to sell that company for billions.

Busy guy. 

If my piddly sh!t interests in the early 90s were enough to distract me from the Sabres, I trust the above was more than enough to distract Pegula.

Edited by That Aud Smell

The conspiracy that the Pegula family in some way thought to take advantage of Buffalo and the it's people for some mass, untapped, potential windfall gain in money.

While others might imply that he bought the team as a way to deflect attention from his involvement in a pedophile's serial rape of young boys spanning decades.

While others might imply that he bought the team as a way to deflect attention from his involvement in a pedophile's serial rape of young boys spanning decades.

K-9, I think I've read enough to know this is every bit tongue in cheek from you, else I my have to dive back in my closet for more shiny hats for us.

And I don't even want to go there,  the corruption in this State in order to protect their phony baloney jobs is something that gets to me to up set to even talk about.

K-9, I think I've read enough to know this is every bit tongue in cheek from you, else I my have to dive back in my closet for more shiny hats for us.

And I don't even want to go there,  the corruption in this State in order to protect their phony baloney jobs is something that gets to me to up set to even talk about.

I wish it were tongue and cheek, but what else could musichunch have been implying in his post? Not to mention the tomes written by GoDD suggesting as much in the past.

Yeah, the search engine for this site never really works for me either. 

For whatever reason, I can't get the search engine for this site to ever return reliable results. Or, in this case, results at all. But, the essence of this topic has been talked to death. I think, if memory serves, several people tried to say Pegula was doing this to become a god-king for the local area (meaning, he wants to re-boot the local economy and look good doing it). This, of course, was poo-poo'd by many others.

The next obvious question is "why would he want to conduct an socio-economic experiment here?"

Do you use the "advanced" one or just the main one?

You did not say it was an opinion, you said it was well established that he was not that big of a fan.

As proof of this established fact, you again reference Pegula's ignorance of the team being for sale when the Rigases were arrested. When was that? 2002? Who the heck knows what was going on for Pegula back then. By my reckoning, he had three young kids in 2002 (the youngest would have been around 2 or 3 years old) and had just taken on a new COO in what I would infer was an effort to expand his company's already vast interests. Oh, and he was just 8 years away from closing on a deal to sell that company for billions.

Busy guy. 

If my piddly sh!t interests in the early 90s were enough to distract me from the Sabres, I trust the above was more than enough to distract Pegula.

It's my opinion that it was well established. It's not a big deal. It's just common sense. But anything that takes a little shine off of Terry has to be met with indignation. I'm a huge Bills fan by the way... whoa, wait a second... Pegula owns the Bills? When did that happen? Is Ralph OK? Sorry, been a little busy with stuff.

I guess I don't get the recurrence of this theme. It's as if the motivations for Pegula's purchase of a hockey team is a matter of moral rectitude or religious purity. Or if by wanting one thing (a cup), it precludes other things (a Buffalo Renaissance). Why not both? Why not all? Why not a cup, a superbowl, a downtown stadium, a home for US hockey, and a National Cheerios Museum. Why not all? Not one diminishes the other. 

Why are we exploring this? I thought it played out. 

I feel like it's my team that Terry bought. I've always been curious about why he bought my team. Why the Knoxes brought the Sabres to Buffalo (make Buffalo big league, wealthy guys giving something back to the city), why Rigas bought the team (business interests), why Golisano bought the team (maybe to save it, more likely to be a placeholder owner until he could flip it and make some money) are all important. Excuse me for my interest. It's being discussed again because there's news, pretty big news as far as I'm concerned, a statement that Terry's principal motivation was to have a platform to change the city. It's interesting stuff. Don't post in threads that bore you.

Edited by pASabreFan

Nope, just that he has gone about it stupidly.

Listen, this thread isn't about me. My post was very fair and factual. It could be a good discussion.

Tanking to get Eichel clearly was a stupid move. The kid obviously sucks. Let's bring back overrated losers like Miller and Stafford and make more heroic runs to ninth

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.