New year, tons of firepower, still cant score.

matter2003

Dumping and getting it back will be a trademark of this team this year. The weakness in that effort is the inability of Weber and Franzen to support by getting to the blue line and supporting. The opposition will simply fire it up the boards to get it out and then you are trapped in the o zone. Bogo should help a bit especially if we can split up those two.

That's exactly what was happening...and he should.

Wow, we have a very young team, new coach, most players haven't played together much and after 2 games against the Stanley Cup Finalist and a team that is 25-4-4 in their last 33 regular season games and PANIC is the word. Just WOW. I would think sometime around Thanksgiving we'll be able to give a real analysis as to how we're doing.

Early analysis: we won the Kane-Bogo vs. Myer-Staff trade hands down. Kane looks beastly.

Foligno is playing better than I would have expected, giving them some muscle down low

Mark Pysyk won't be going to Rochester anytime soon

They miss Bogosian right now.

Tampa Bay with a very fortunate bounce off goal to Stamkos for their 3rd goal. Otherwise they played a decent game. Also I haven't seen noted was their 2nd goal off the power play caused by too many men on the ice. Otherwise that's a 1-1 game in the 3rd. Shots on goal so far this year although not much of a indicator of play but does show they are much more competitive than many are giving them credit for.

Saw Zadarov play against the Stars yesterday. Kid looked better than I expected.

Wow, we have a very young team, new coach, most players haven't played together much and after 2 games against the Stanley Cup Finalist and a team that is 25-4-4 in their last 33 regular season games and PANIC is the word. Just WOW. I would think sometime around Thanksgiving we'll be able to give a real analysis as to how we're doing.

Early analysis: we won the Kane-Bogo vs. Myer-Staff trade hands down. Kane looks beastly.

Foligno is playing better than I would have expected, giving them some muscle down low

Tampa Bay with a very fortunate bounce off goal to Stamkos for their 3rd goal. Otherwise they played a decent game. Also I haven't seen noted was their 2nd goal off the power play caused by too many men on the ice. Otherwise that's a 1-1 game in the 3rd. Shots on goal so far this year although not much of a indicator of play but does show they are much more competitive than many are giving them credit for.

Saw Zadarov play against the Stars yesterday. Kid looked better than I expected.

Zadarov is the one player that I knew Murray was determined to trade that i didn't want him to. He was young and immature but in 2 years we will be kicking ourselves firmly in the ass on that one.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bylsma say recently that he leans more towards having set pairs on offense, for each of the lines, rather than set 3 man combinations for each? If that is the case, perhaps we can expect all 4 lines to have two players in the same place consistently, with the third man on each line being shuffled around a fair bit.

It seems like up until this point, we can count on Eichel and Kane being together, while the third guy on that line may change fairly frequently. I would rather it be Eichel and Moulson, but that is a separate conversation.

Edited by Thorny

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bylsma say recently that he leans more towards having set pairs on offense, for each of the lines, rather than set 3 man combinations for each? If that is the case, perhaps we can expect all 4 lines to have two players in the same place consistently, with the third man on each line being shuffled around a fair bit.

It seems like up until this point, we can count on Eichel and Kane being together, while the third guy on that line may change fairly frequently. I would rather it be Eichel and Moulson, but that is a separate conversation.

This is correct.

It seems to be correct, but I wonder what the third pair is supposed to be once Gionta is back? Larsson and Girgs?

Mark Pysyk will never be going to Rochester because he will never clear waivers.

To the learned:

I have an observation that's neither praise nor criticism. Is my observation correct?

Kane is a different cat. I am used to seeing five guys perform as a unit and I anticipate each as the game plays out. When Kane's on the ice, I see an uber talent creating by himself and four others positioning to be successful situationally as he creates.

This isn't criticism! In fact, his singlemindedness is refreshing.

Am I on to something? If so, do we encourage this and ride its uniqueness? Who does he compare to?

While I'm not drawing any comparison, I had the same style feel when watching Ovechkin, especially early in Ovi's career.

To the learned:

I have an observation that's neither praise nor criticism. Is my observation correct?

Kane is a different cat. I am used to seeing five guys perform as a unit and I anticipate each as the game plays out. When Kane's on the ice, I see an uber talent creating by himself and four others positioning to be successful situationally as he creates.

Am I on to something? If so, do we encourage this and ride its uniqueness? Who does he compare to?

While I'm not drawing any comparison, I had the same style feel when watching Ovechkin, especially early in Ovi's career.

I think it will work fine as long as the 2nd best player on the team is the one standing around waiting for him to do something. :wallbash:

To the learned:

I would agree with this. Kane is tenacious both with and without the puck but he definitely prefers to carry the puck. I think it's a mistake to pair him with Eichel. I think he'd be better off paired with O'Reilly or even Reinhart. Eichel seems to prefer to carry the puck as well so he should be paired with a guy like Moulson who has made a career out of camping out near the net and taking advantage of playmakers on hs line.

Kane O'Reilly Ennis

Moulson Eichel Gionta

Larrson Girgensons Reinhart (pick your center)

Deslauriers Legwand Foligno

Ideally I'd have Gionta as the 3rd line RW and put Reinhart with Kane and O'Reilly and Ennis with Eichel and Moulson but DB seems intent on putting Gionta in the top 6 when healthy. I don't like having 2 rookies on the same line so I'd put Reinhart on the 3rd line and pair him with Larsson and Girgensons.

To the learned:

I think this is mostly right, which is why he needs to skate with players who are very effective away from the puck (read: not Eichel). I also don't think it's going to change at this stage of his career, and it will cause considerable angst for some.

Kane is a bit of a one man show which to me is troublesome. Use your linemates. That being said it'll take some time for these cats to gel into a cohesive unit.

Kane has been in the league for what, six years now? I think he is who he is. I don't have a major issue with it, but he's gotta be with the right linemates for it to work.

Kane's mantra has been the team needs to be harder on the puck.  He embodies that.  Surround him with others of the same mindset, (Girgs is my preference) and he will not feel or see the need to try and do it himself.  then I think you will see him be more deferential to his linemates.  Now he sees a need to be pressuring the puck and he does it.  Hopefully it is contagious.

To the learned:

He needs to be the focal point of his line and play with guy who will get him the puck and not need to get it back, a guy who plays elite hockey without the puck.

Someday Reinhart will be his centre and all will be right in the universe.

Reinhart's play to Legwand prior to the Deslauriers goal was thing of beauty.

Thinking of Kane as the forechecker on that play, or as the finisher, should make you smile.

Eichel has said he loves to pass the puck.

He does, but after carrying it for a while (and getting bumped aside by Kane on his way to get to it).

Edited by dudacek

I'll give them 20 games to gel offensively.   Eichel and Kane look very good.   O'Reilly seems to just be running around out there, seems like he's trying hard but he's turning the puck over and just seems out of position most of the time.    Not really worried about it yet, but just a thing to watch.   Him and Ennis haven't really clicked.    Moulson has done absolutely nothing, not even getting chances.    I'd like to see Kane/Eichel/Ennis together.   With Girgensons centering O'Reilly and Moulson.     The Larsson line is chipping in and creating chances, which is what you want from your third line.

After the first game, Eichel was on pace for 82 goals.   Now he's on pace for only 41.... BUST.

He's got to turn this around fast. He's also a selfish player since he's trending for no assists. Has anyone ever been in the top-10 of the league in goals with zero assists? He's trending for a -164, too, worst in NHL history.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.