GDT: Tampa at Buffalo, 10/10/15, 1pm

Eleven

Their possession time and corsi is greatly improved over two games compared to last year.

My question is in regards to Guhle, would he be any worse than the journeyman D we have, or let him play in juniors for another year?

Given it seems like half our D are skating in mud out there, I'd be all for giving him a look. He has wheels, mobility, and a great shot from the point (I'm looking at you Tank Commander Weber). Why not?

GO SABRES!!!

We're coming off back to back sub-55 point seasons and just lost to a Cup finalist from last year and a favorite to go back this year. It's definitely the time for anger, panic, and depression.

It seems like there could be a fair few fans who follow that exact path.

I think the "carryover argument" is pretty flimsy. It's not like they brought back last year's team with a few tweaks. There has been a healthy injection of high-end talent. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed in the start. Anything resembling the last two seasons is completely unacceptable. Only two games, but two losses at home with very uneven efforts and two goals for. People are seeing ghosts. Others might be whistling past the graveyard. #outofhalloweenreferences

But it's moreso about the quality of the opponents so far, and our need to develop chemistry. Even with all the new talent, we were playing a very good team today who is well ahead in terms of development as a team, obviously. We have looked better than last year so far, but just because we have more talent doesn't mean it will all click immediately.

I understand your point about, as a team, not wanting to look like last year, but even at this early stage, I don't think we do.

Gamecenter free trial ends oct. 27th...don't quote me on that as I'm pulling that from memory. Alternatively one could presumably look on the /r/nhlstreams subreddit for viewing opportunities

Went on to gamcenter and logged in to my account and there didn't seem to be any free trial. It kept trying to get me to buy the different viewing packages.

I missed the entire game today and was told it wasn't worth the watch, can anyone tell me how Eichel, Reinhart and the other big guns looked todaY?

Eichel didn't have a particularly good game. He didn't have a bad game, he just didn't stand out like usual. He had his moments, though.

Reinhart looked good. He was creating out there, picked up a primary assist, and was as usual rarely out of position.

In general our group looked a little out of sync, which is to be expected. We did out hit them and put up a decent amount of shots, overall for playing what could be the best team in the east, we looked decent, much better than we would have looked last year, for the most part.

You didn't miss much.

Nothing stood out. However, I dozed off 5 or 6 times.

Eichel didn't have a particularly good game. He didn't have a bad game, he just didn't stand out like usual. He had his moments, though.

Reinhart looked good. He was creating out there, picked up a primary assist, and was as usual rarely out of position.

In general our group looked a little out of sync, which is to be expected. We did out hit them and put up a decent amount of shots, overall for playing what could be the best team in the east, we looked decent, much better than we would have looked last year, for the most part.

Thanks guys, that's about what my brother told me. I recorded the game but he said don't bother, he said it wasn't even a blow out, it was just very boring and nobody really did anything

What were the top two lines tonight?

I missed the entire game today and was told it wasn't worth the watch, can anyone tell me how Eichel, Reinhart and the other big guns looked todaY?

Eichel took his first penalty when he wedged off Stamkos, who was trying to enter the Sabres' zone without the puck. Stamkos also got to the front of the net and scored while Eichel waved his stick at him. One of our D was trapped in the corner and Ristolainen was sort of in no man's land, so Jack was the last line of defense. IIRC Eichel also was in prime scoring territory and missed the net.

I saw no issue with effort. Maybe when it was 4-1 but the game was over at that point.

It's game 2, not game 42.  Lack of effort when down bad is not a good thing.  I get it if it's midseason, guys are playing hurt, tired, whatever.  It's Game 2.  I wanted to see more fire at the end.

Thanks guys, that's about what my brother told me. I recorded the game but he said don't bother, he said it wasn't even a blow out, it was just very boring and nobody really did anything

What were the top two lines tonight?

The top two lines?  What minute--or second--do you want?

Tampa is a damn good team.

From my seat it really came down to this, Webber and Franson can't keep up. Not quick, enough to keep puck in the zone, pinch, or support the puck for the forwards.

This is a work in progress,...

Lastly, the Avatar guessing game between periods is pretty funny.

Eichel took his first penalty when he wedged off Stamkos, who was trying to enter the Sabres' zone without the puck. Stamkos also got to the front of the net and scored while Eichel waved his stick at him. One of our D was trapped in the corner and Ristolainen was sort of in no man's land, so Jack was the last line of defense. IIRC Eichel also was in prime scoring territory and missed the net.

Ennis and Eichel missed the netmultiple times. They gave Bishop way too much respect.

From my seat it really came down to this, Webber and Franson can't keep up. Not quick, enough to keep puck in the zone, pinch, or support the puck for the forwards.

Ennis and Eichel missed the netmultiple times. They gave Bishop way too much respect.

Weber can take a seat anytime he wishes. Love his pluck, hate his game. 

Tough day at the office for Eichel, and I understand the criticism for the lack of effective back check on Stamkos' goal, but that goal was a fluke with a perfect carom from a pass that hit the side of the net and bounced straight onto Stamkos' stick. Chad Johnson actually made the poor play that started that sequence. His pass behind Gorges resulted in Gorges going one on two in the corner and losing the puck. 

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

Tough day at the office for Eichel, and I understand the criticism for the lack of effective back check on Stamkos' goal, but that goal was a fluke with a perfect carom from a pass that hit the side of the net and bounced straight onto Stamkos' stick. Chad Johnson actually made the poor play that started that sequence. His pass behind Gorges resulted in Gorges going one on two in the corner and losing the puck. 

GO SABRES!!!

The boards seem crazy lively. I'm wondering why.

Franson is atrocious. We need Bogo to get healthy and McCabe to step up ASAP.

I think the "carryover argument" is pretty flimsy. It's not like they brought back last year's team with a few tweaks. There has been a healthy injection of high-end talent. There's nothing wrong with being disappointed in the start. Anything resembling the last two seasons is completely unacceptable. Only two games, but two losses at home with very uneven efforts and two goals for. People are seeing ghosts. Others might be whistling past the graveyard. #outofhalloweenreferences

To the first bolded point, yes, there has been a healthy injection of high-end talent. There's also serious holes on defense and in goal, and rookies and young players playing key roles. Add in what, a 40% roster turnover and a brand new coach, and you've just built a giant flashing billboard saying "early season issues." Additionally, we were the worst team since the lost season for two years running...one offseason doesn't fix that, especially when the opponent is one of the best 5 teams in the entire league.

To the second bold, in spite of what I just said, these losses have not resembled last season's in anything but score. Game 1 was kinda ugly, but Ottawa was ugly too, and it was evenly matched overall. And today, although I didn't watch, possession was even through two periods. That's not nothing.

GO SABRES!!!

I actually think that goal was on Gorges. If you check it out again, Johnson gets the puck, and instead of drifting to one side so Johnson has an outlet and can play it to him, Gorges skates directly at him and Johnson doesn't really have anywhere to go with the puck. Schmozzle ensues, Tampa scores.

THE BUFFALO SABRES WILL BE FINE.

If the Blue Jays and Rangers could win their divisions after being sub-.500 at the All-Start break, there's hope for the Sabres.  Heck, the Rangers were in dead last in the AL at the end of the first month of the season.

And even if they don't get it together right away, it's to be expected, what with all the new players, new coaches *and* a new system.

There are some good things happening. The Sabres are winning draws and the passing and pace of play are much improved.

I really like the forwards, but they have to forget about beating a goalie like Bishop with an extra pass and need to create more traffic.

O'reilly is strong on the puck, but really needs to draw in players before getting it off his stick. The focus is on up-tempo play now, and they are doing that, but sometimes holding that puck an extra half second lets the play develop. Bishop had easy reads all afternoon.

Samson looked okay. Eichel missed the net on the far side 3 times or more, but he's learning.

Webber, Franson, Carlos.....lets just say that's 3 #6s on the ice. Not faulting effort, they just don't match up well.

Those 3 are going to get killed on the road.

There are some good things happening. The Sabres are winning draws and the passing and pace of play are much improved.

I really like the forwards, but they have to forget about beating a goalie like Bishop with an extra pass and need to create more traffic.

O'reilly is strong on the puck, but really needs to draw in players before getting it off his stick. The focus is on up-tempo play now, and they are doing that, but sometimes holding that puck an extra half second lets the play develop. Bishop had easy reads all afternoon.

Samson looked okay. Eichel missed the net on the far side 3 times or more, but he's learning.

Webber, Franson, Carlos.....lets just say that's 3 #6s on the ice. Not faulting effort, they just don't match up well.

Those 3 are going to get killed on the road.

Good write up, much appreciated. 

Just finished watching the game. Heard about today's game when it was already half over. Doh.

Reinhart played a really nice game. I didn't even mind having him on the 4th line between Deslauriers and Legwand because those guys can play hockey.

The lines were juggled A LOT. Lindy would've been like "woah"

Whenever Larsson and Zemgus were together I loved it. Those guys are impossible to play against. Moulson looked better being centered by Larsson, but we'll get the most value out of him if he plays with Eichel. Oh well, maybe some day.

Eichel looked just solid today. Battled well on the boards and slowed the game down a few times when it was desperately needed. Agree with all that want to see Kane off his wing.

Edited by qwksndmonster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.