GDT: Ottawa @ Buffalo, 7pm edt, 10/08/2015

WildCard

This is my take on the game. Not enough hustle. This offense is talented but they need to play as a unit and get in hard on the forecheck. Rosto needs to move the puck up the ice quicker and the defense has to stop pinching in so much. Their not fast enough to get back. I thought Zemgus hustled a lot tonight but this team has to play as a team too much individual play. If they skate hard the best Ottawa. I guess that's where I'm frustrated.

A great night ruined by a stupid ###### new rule. This league keeps getting worse somehow.

At least we got to see a goal. If the ref call it correctly right away we wouldn't have. I love this rule. We have probably watched hundreds of goals scored on the Sabres that were offside.

And Kane has nobody but himself to blame. He screws around at the blueline every entry and makes his line mates wait.

Parts of that game were great. We will see more parts of games be great moving forward. Me likey.

At least we got to see a goal. If the ref call it correctly right away we wouldn't have. I love this rule. We have probably watched hundreds of goals scored on the Sabres that were offside.

And Kane has nobody but himself to blame. He screws around at the blueline every entry and makes his line mates wait.

Parts of that game were great. We will see more parts of games be great moving forward. Me likey.

BS.  Kane played hard every shift and was tough to play against.  I will never question his heart or his method. He strikes fear in the opposition. Jack will too in short order. 

Can you say opening night jitters?  Sure you can.  For 2+ periods anyway.  Tentative for the most part.

Girgensens and Larsson really looked good paired together early.  I thought they were the most effective forward combo in the 1st two periods.  And Girgensens game was a damned good fit for Eichel and Kane as well.  Gus might've just got his promotion to the top 6.

Risto didn't have a good rush up ice until into the 3rd.  Need to see alot more of that.  He needs to be the guy on D that is bringing the offense.  If he's not doing it, it might be a tough season.

Ennis-O'Reilly-Moulson did not impress me.  Where was Ennis' dynamic play?  We are going to need these three to carry the load until the kids get their feet under them.  Has. To. Happen. 

Kane really pursues the puck.  Wow.  Guy is all over it.  Me likey.

Pysyk had another quietly effective game. 

Boy, did Eichel's game change after that goal.  The energy and aggression on the puck really picked up after that goal.

Samson didn't look bad, but we didn't hurt with him stapled to the bench in the 3rd either.  He'll need some more time methinks.

Overall, the improvement in skill was obvious.  The powerplay looked like it wasn't familiar yet.  Not surprising given the new coach and all the new players.  And in 3 weeks I don't think the lines are going to look anything like they do now.  Lots of simmering needed to get it all to meld together, but the quality of the raw materials is evident.

I don't have time to read back through everything. Did anyone mention how similar Eichel's goal was to Drury's Who Else goal? Pretty crummy call by Rick. It does make me wonder what's left in his tank.

As for the overturned goal, not a fan of that rule. An offside on a rush that leads to a goal right away sure. But that offside had nothing to do with the goal really. What a soul-sucking moment for a hockey game that was about to become a good one. What are the refs looking at? Is that my old dumb phone?

Actual. NHL. Talent.

I don't care that they lost, I actually believed they could win all the way up to the empty netter. It's a great feeling.

I feel they can beat Ottawa tonight if they skated hard and fore checked.

I don't have time to read back through everything. Did anyone mention how similar Eichel's goal was to Drury's Who Else goal? Pretty crummy call by Rick. It does make me wonder what's left in his tank.

As for the overturned goal, not a fan of that rule. An offside on a rush that leads to a goal right away sure. But that offside had nothing to do with the goal really. What a soul-sucking moment for a hockey game that was about to become a good one. What are the refs looking at? Is that my old dumb phone?

I agree with that challenge. Stupid rule and can kill teams momentum in hockey games.

Boy, did Eichel's game change after that goal.  The energy and aggression on the puck really picked up after that goal.

It's almost certainly been mentioned, but when he put the puck behind the defenseman on the rush, went wide and still got to it before the goalie did... that was magical. I still can't believe I saw that. I'm even doubting my eyes in my postgame fog. That happened, right?

It was somewhat similar. Drury's was more scrambly.

And, yeah. I posted upthread that RJ's call of Captain America's first career goal was ... almost equivocal.

Yeah once they got going, they were a lot of fun. Definitely jittery to start, though.

Eichel is great. There were a few flashes where he looked like a man among boys. I would expect we'll see more of those. I also don't think we'll see any more complaints of Girgs being marginalized!

It's almost certainly been mentioned, but when he put the puck behind the defenseman on the rush, went wide and still got to it before the goalie did... that was magical. I still can't believe I saw that. I'm even doubting my eyes in my postgame fog. That happened, right?

We had the same eyes and ears. I stood up off the couch on that play. Unreal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.