GDT: Ottawa @ Buffalo, 7pm edt, 10/08/2015

WildCard

McDavid maintains and plays with speed slightly better than Jack.  Jack wins in an end to end race.  i was fortunate to have both games on side by side and just switching from the Sabres to he other game you could tell immediately when McDavid was on the ice.  He can fly. Shattenkirk and Steen were giving him a lot of respect. 

I don't think you guys have watched McDavid enough. In a dead forward sprint maybe Jack can win it.  But the lateral stuff is what's going to make McDavid an all time great.

Right, thats why I said McDavid has better edgework.  Jack's skate overall is a 9.5 where as McDavid is an 11 on a 10 scale.  In a dead sprint, i would bet on Jack.

I suppose it doesn't matter. I am happy with Jack.

I suppose here is as good as any place to comment on the opening for last night.  Finally able to watch the videos...

It's nice to see some quality production value coming to the Sabres.  The opening video was done exceptionally well.  The on-ice presentation/3D work was engaging but not utterly incredible.  I hope they integrate more of that.  I think back to when I first saw the use of the 3D ice projections.  I think it was the Winter Olympics in Vancouver when they had whales going across the ice.  It was fantastic.  The technology is amazing.

Right now I'm just excited.  Though I don't live in Buffalo any more it will always be the place that made me who I am.  Granted that being in Rochester is not too far away but there is a world of difference in the sports fandom here.  Given my involvement with youth hockey and seeing how my son reacts to these days is something I will always remember.  

Tomorrow I'll be in the car driving back from Utica when the puck drops on the 2nd game of the season.  It's killing me to miss parts of these games but I take solace that I get to watch some 11/12 year old hockey hopefuls create their magic on the ice.

One last thought for me on this game.. listening on the radio during the 2nd period I was noticing that I never heard the name Eichel, O'Reilly, or Ennis for most of the period.  Not being able to see the game I was relying on RJ for the call and while I heard a lot of other names being called those remained conspicuously absent.  Seeing the 3rd period I began to see those players touching the puck.  It sounded like Bylsma made some changes to the lines and to the way the Sabres were creating offense to begin getting those players involved more. 

Man.. I'm still jacked.  And you can bet everything you own.. that was intentional.

Is it wrong that I prefer to watch the TSN highlight of Jack's goal? RJ saying "Jeichel" makes me a little uneasy. Perhaps I missed the memo where "jeichel" is the preferred nickname. I think we can do better.

Edited by Stads

Is it wrong that I prefer to watch the TSN highlight of Jack's goal? RJ saying "Jeichel" makes me a little uneasy. Perhaps I missed the memo where "jeichel" is the preferred nickname. I think we can do better.

RJ missed training camp with an injury and came back a little over weight and out of shape. Give him a few games to heal up and shake off the rust and really settle in.

I think Connor would beat Jack in a dead sprint too. But it doesn't matter at all. We're fine with what we have and so is Edmonton.

Back to Jack, I hope they get him the puck on the rush more often, it was almost infuriating seeing Colo or Weber hesitate and then pass to someone else instead.

Weber couldn't leave his own zone with possession to save his life. Poor guy playing over his head again.

On McDavid and Eichel's skating...

McDavid's stride is quicker. Eichel's is more powerful.

In a straight race, over a short distance, say goal line to blue line, McDavid wins, I think handily.

By the time they are at the other goal line, Eichel will have caught and passed McDavid, I think handily. They way Eichel just continues accelerating is uncanny. Eichel's eventual top speed is faster, I believe.

Who cares, they are both great skaters!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.