GDT: Ottawa @ Buffalo, 7pm edt, 10/08/2015

WildCard

You know what I don't like about the challenge? The same thing I don't like about video review in general. It's a way of preventing Buffalo from attaining karmic justice. We lost a championship to bad officiating. And the more the NHL tries to perfect the game, the less chance we have of a blown call going our way in the future. Every year that goes by we have less of a chance of pulling one over on a hated rival. We were due a wrong call in our favor. Maybe now we'll never get it.

Just rode the elavator with Kane (and his hot girlfriend i think? (she was hot but it might be his sister or something) and family) at the new hotel. Too funny.  I suggested the offside call sucked, NFL-style.  He agreed "I know!".  

Really, do we want this replay crap?  That sucked. 

You know what I don't like about the challenge? The same thing I don't like about video review in general. It's a way of preventing Buffalo from attaining karmic justice. We lost a championship to bad officiating. And the more the NHL tries to perfect the game, the less chance we have of a blown call going our way in the future. Every year that goes by we have less of a chance of pulling one over on a hated rival. We were due a wrong call in our favor. Maybe now we'll never get it.

If you actually believe in Buffalo-style karmic justice, the far more likely outcome is we'd lose again on bad officiating :p

Anyone agreeing with that the spirit of that challenge is supporting a rule for the sake of rules. That's the tail wagging the dog. The Sabres gained no advantage on that play that was too close to call by a referee standing in perfect position 6 ft away.

If that's the way you want that rule to be enforced, Lord Almighty - you must have seizures with the uncalled, interference, hooking, and slashing that goes on every 15 seconds.

Theybwere offside. The linesman missed it. The Sabres scored. Huge advantage Sabres. The challenge clearly showed a whistle should have blown. It is no different than a runner steeping ob on a long td. But for a missed call no td. Same thing here.

Here's how you tweak the rule-

No slow motion. If the referee cannot determine offsides at regular speed, then it does not violate the intent of the rule.

No eliminate a challenge of a missed off sides. I have no problem eliminating it. But that is the rule and it was a good challenge.

Theybwere offside. The linesman missed it. The Sabres scored. Huge advantage Sabres. The challenge clearly showed a whistle should have blown. It is no different than a runner steeping ob on a long td. But for a missed call no td. Same thing here.

No eliminate a challenge of a missed off sides. I have no problem eliminating it. But that is the rule and it was a good challenge.

I understand the opinion.

But, It is a ton different. Football stops every 12 seconds anyway. The beauty of hockey is that it has flow, players change on the fly, the constant motion. It isn't football. All stops in hockey should be minimized. 

What does happen if TEAM A enters the offensive zone, play continues, TEAM B commits a penalty, then TEAM A scores negating the penalty. TEAM B then challenges the entry and play is ruled offsides. No goal AND no penalty? STUPID STUPID rule. 

A 2v1 into the zone is a missed offside (even an by an imperceptible amount) and directly leads to a goal, yes, by all means review the ever loving shite out of it. That 2v1 turns into a battle in the corner and then it's passed out to the point and the D-man scores, chock it up to variance, goal stands. 

Edited by Ottosmagic13

If we want to minimize the use/effect of the challenge while still aiming to get the blatant misses corrected, what about having a 2 minute bench minor for a failed challenge? Would discourage coaches from using it as a blind hail mary unless it was a true critical situation like a minute left in a playoff game (which is also the time we should be most concerned about accuracy).

It would actually be more like reviewing something a few plays earlier in a scoring drive.

I understand the opinion.

But, It is a ton different. Football stops every 12 seconds anyway. The beauty of hockey is that it has flow, players change on the fly, the constant motion. It isn't football. All stops in hockey should be minimized.

We are probably saying the same thing. Goals are reviewed. High stick goals are reviewed. Kicks are reviewed. The need for a challenge on an off side is probably specious at best. But that's the rule. And they got it right in this case.

It would actually be more like reviewing something a few plays earlier in a scoring drive.

No, the play continues until,a,whistle score. Same in both cases. Someone upstairs looks at the video and sees ob/offsides. The whistle hasn't blown play hasn't stopped in either case. Same thing.

We are probably saying the same thing. Goals are reviewed. High stick goals are reviewed. Kicks are reviewed. The need for a challenge on an off side is probably specious at best. But that's the rule. And they got it right in this case.

No, the play continues until,a,whistle score. Same in both cases. Someone upstairs looks at the video and sees ob/offsides. The whistle hasn't blown play hasn't stopped in either case. Same thing.

And I'm saying that because of the nature of hockey, and the continuation of play through changes of possession, that drives in the NFL are more like possessions in hockey.

And I'm saying that because of the nature of hockey, and the continuation of play through changes of possession, that drives in the NFL are more like possessions in hockey.

Agreed, but for a missed whistle we do not score. I hate the idea of coach's challenges but this is exactly why they put it in. There is no difference between our goal and a missed off side on a breakaway. There should have been a whistle. I will be the first to sign the petition to repeal the challenge rule.

Here's how you tweak the rule-

No slow motion. If the referee cannot determine offsides at regular speed, then it does not violate the intent of the rule.

I like that. Also give them one minute to make the call. As long as they looked at it tonight suggests it was too close to call.

1) my son and I have the memory of Eichels first goal forever, just awesome

2) that building exploded after both goals and it gives me faith that it will be rocking in that arena sooner than later...

This is a good point. The building seemed louder after Jack's goal today than I had heard it in a good long while.

My 2 cents:

- I was struck by how non-pumped up they looked during the intros and the anthem. I would go so far as to say somber -- like they found out someone had just died. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother to mention it but they kinda played with much less spirit than I was expecting through the first. 2 periods.

- The D was overall pretty shaky, including Weber, Franson, Pysyk and Risto. Coco was surprisingly not too bad IMHO.

- that 3rd was pretty exciting though. Eichel was the best player on the ice in that period and it looked like he realized it.

- Kane was a freaking beast.

- Lehner's injury was weird enough that I'm concerned he just somehow randomly tore his Achilles. Not sure WTF they do if that's the case.

- I liked a bit of what I saw from ROR but was expecting more offense out of that line. They didn't generate many chances.

- I agree that the replay rule is stupid. Every other league tweaks the rules every year to increase offense. Not the NHL.

It was kinda nice for Eichel to get the first goal of this era. Many more!

How many challenges can a coach call during a game ? 

And what's stopping them from having them check EVERY zone entry that preceded a goal. 

This is a good point. The building seemed louder after Jack's goal today than I had heard it in a good long while.

The resulting roar from that goal was two seasons worth of pent up release. That amount of release holds a lot of back pressure. It hails of a new time in Sabres history, a birth of sorts. 

You keep saying this. How else would it work? Are you saying there should be a whistle blown killing a live play so they can review a maybe offside?

Both in baseball, and in the NFL, coaches challenges have to occur before play resumes.  There needs to be a 10 or 15 second time limit tops;    they certainly shouldn't let play continue for minutes, and then someone chimes in from the sidelines -"Oh by the way, there was a foul that occurred 5 minutes ago"  

Even easier -  How about the NHL just shitcans the stupid rule?  It's a terrible new rule.   It was meant to redress blatant missed calls - but now it's gonna be splitting hairs and it will kill momentum and likely piss fans off.     I know I was,  and still am, plenty ticked off!  

Edited by Jsixspd

Our bottom six looked awesome when they were getting ice time. Larsson and Zemgus could be a deadly shutdown duo

Our top six looked inept until Z got moved up to play with Kane and Jack.

It only took Dan 40 minutes to realize what we all know: everything is better with Zemgus.

Tentative start overall, but the elevated talent level is blindingly obvious.

I think they will be a treat to watch when the chemistry starts coming.

Eichel's was prettier, but that was a BEAUTIFUL goal by Kane;  it didn't seem like Anderson even knew it was in the net.   And I will call it a goal - in any of the thousands of games played in 98 years of NHL history prior to tonight, that was a goal,  before the league started pulling out protractors and slide-rules to micro-analyze linesmen calls from minutes before. 

I don't need to, the new rule was played like a Stradivarius. The linesman missed an offside. The Sens challenged according to the rule. Well played.

Not well played. Ottawa abused a new rule. What SDS had to say sums it perfectly. Man, do you have box of tissues sitting next to you while watching a Sabres game? Calls are "missed" left and right. The blown offsides call was not "missed." They were moving in real time. The ref was right on top of it. He felt the Sabres were onsides. Having to go to slow motion w/ the use of multiple camera angles to make a call is ridiculous. 

Anyone agreeing with that the spirit of that challenge is supporting a rule for the sake of rules. That's the tail wagging the dog. The Sabres gained no advantage on that play that was too close to call by a referee standing in perfect position 6 ft away.

If that's the way you want that rule to be enforced, Lord Almighty - you must have seizures with the uncalled interference, hooking, and slashing that goes on every 15 seconds.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.