Eichel vs. McDavid

WildCard

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have the better rookie year?

• Eichel
    • McDavid
  2. 2. Who will end their career with more points?

• Eichel
    • McDavid
  3. 3. Who will win more Stanley Cups?

• Eichel
    • McDavid

Yep, it's going to happen folks. It's going to be the comparison this board, the league, will talk about for years. So, let's have a thread for it. We all know what each brings to the table, and with one week left until their careers officially begin, I think it's time.

6812-13_1-640x427.jpg

I was going to add Auston Mathews to the topic as well, but I don't think he qualifies as generational.

Edited by WildCard

I wanted to add more questions, but you can't. I think Eichel ends with more goals, Eichel wins a Cup first and has more because Edmonton has too many of the same players and seems reluctant to make change, but I think McDavid has the edge in the Olympics, points, and the World Tournament. 

Had the lotto balls dropped differently we would be saying novenas at the cathedral of Connor. We are lucky that a talent like Jack was available at 2. But I think it is foolish to compare the two. McDavid is the real deal. They are different players in different situations. I am just happy that brighter days are ahead and hopefully we never have to travel that path again.

I think McDavid has the better rookie year. I mean no disrespect to Matt Moulson, but he can't sniff Taylor Hall's jock. Wouldn't surprise me if Eichel ended up with more goals, but I see McDavid with more points. Career points go to McDavid by virtue of being the better prospect. And finally, I think Eichel ends up with more Cups (although I feel predicting them really is a fool's errand). Bottom line is I trust Murray to make more smart moves than Chiarelli.

How about some projections for their rookie years?

Eichel => 28-47-75

McDavid => 23 - 50 - 73

For perspective

Johnny Gaudreau => 24-40-64

I'm just gonna hope for this. This would be so awesome! I think I'd actually be moved to tears.

I think we should be able to see past the "prospect" qualifiers far better at this point. I mean, have we all not seen Jack in these preseason games? These preseason games are giving us a much more accurate look at what Jack brings to the NHL, and it's far better, already, than I anticipated. If the draft were tomorrow, but having seen of Jack what we have in the context we have seen him so far, I don't think I'd want McDavid anyway (although I believe I was saying that closer to draft, anyway). The kid is complete and real on so many levels.

Mcdavid

He is playing alongside Taylor hall who had 81 points last season,  I can see them both alteast doing the same together.

Mcdavid

Hall is an amazing winger eichel doesn't have to start his career.

Eichel

His better physical play will make him more suited for deep playoff runs.

How about some projections for their rookie years?

Eichel => 28-47-75

McDavid => 23 - 50 - 73

For perspective

Johnny Gaudreau => 24-40-64

When I first took a look at your post, I was umm.... not likely. But I forgot about how well Gaudreau played last year. If Eichel does reach 75, I'll be going nuts! Last season only 19 players had at least 70 points. Man, how sweet it'd be if Eichel made the list this year. 

I think we should be able to see past the "prospect" qualifiers far better at this point. I mean, have we all not seen Jack in these preseason games? These preseason games are giving us a much more accurate look at what Jack brings to the NHL, and it's far better, already, than I anticipated. If the draft were tomorrow, but having seen of Jack what we have in the context we have seen him so far, I don't think I'd want McDavid anyway (although I believe I was saying that closer to draft, anyway). The kid is complete and real on so many levels.

I don't think we can look past the prospect labels yet because it's only preseason and I doubt many of us have watched all of McDavid's games.

Eichel and McDavid are very different players in terms of style but much closer than anyone wants to admit in terms of talent level.

Is it this, or is it that some on the other side can't remove the Sabres-tinted goggles? I mean, if we had won the lottery and drafted McDavid, I don't think there's any way an overwhelming majority of the board would be voting Eichel to have the better rookie season. Edited by TrueBlueGED

I am not sure Blue.  I voted Eichel to have the better season because I think he is physically more ready than McDavid. That said, I could very easily see McDavid having the better season.  Again, they are both highly talented and I think a lot closer in talent than we yet realize.

I still think Connor McDavid is the best 18 year old to enter the league since Lemieux. But that doesn't mean I don't love Jack. I think Jack will be a star from day one.

2004 was the last time 2 big stars came out of the top 2 draft picks (2005 if you consider Bobby Ryan a star I guess). 2001 Kovie and Spezza.  After that '88 had Modano and Linden.  If these guys both turn out to be generational......... unprecedented?

The near universal word was that McDavid was a step above.  Going to be fun to watch if that holds true as their careers develop.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.