OT Last Week Tonight

drnkirishone

This may or may not need it's own topic but I figure at the very least me and liger will enjoy having a topic to discuss our mancrush on John Oliver

I also have a mancrush on Oliver.

Ok i'm not a man, but his show is fantastic. 

I wish he were the guy replacing Stewart. I like the South African guy all right, but Oliver crushes it.

Agreed. I love John Oliver's show on HBO, but I tend to miss too many episodes since they aren't as easily accessible (I have other things to do on a Sunday night) for me. the ones I have caught have been entertaining and informative. 

I wish he were the guy replacing Stewart. I like the South African guy all right, but Oliver crushes it.

The problem for John Oliver is he's almost too good for something like the Daily Show. Oliver is carrying out actual investigative journalism. That goes well beyond the comedic reporting we get from the Daily Show. 

John Oliver is one serious step away from being the next Cronkite. 

Agreed. I love John Oliver's show on HBO, but I tend to miss too many episodes since they aren't as easily accessible (I have other things to do on a Sunday night) for me. the ones I have caught have been entertaining and informative.

if you have a hbo subscription I would suggest using the hbogo app. Shows get added I think next day and the app is available on windows, xboxs, playstation s, iphones, and andriod phones

if you have a hbo subscription I would suggest using the hbogo app. Shows get added I think next day and the app is available on windows, xboxs, playstation s, iphones, and andriod phones

That is the way I watch it. My point was that I often find myself watching something else live on tv before I think to watch it on demand.

youtube channel with liger, you, and me livechatting his show. We could be rich!!!! Lol

Only if I can drink Bourbon and swear.

John Oliver's shows thus far have been fantastic. Hell on the last one he set up a church, an actual church, just to prove how the IRS laws are for what constitutes a church.  He's just on point and shows the inequality that is rampant in America while also raising good points about how to fix it.  I wish he was taking over for Stewart but I kind of like the idea of having him on HBO where he is pretty much free to do his thing. 

This times a million

The problem for John Oliver is he's almost too good for something like the Daily Show. Oliver is carrying out actual investigative journalism. That goes well beyond the comedic reporting we get from the Daily Show. 

John Oliver is one serious step away from being the next Cronkite.

If there was a way he could continue his weekly investigative reports and do the Daily Show, that would be phenomenal

Some of his shows I love, some are way over the top. I'm not keen on his delivery. I know it's partially satire but he could stand to tone it down a bit. His spastic outbursts and swearing get old. I love swearing but you need to know where to use it and how often to make an impact. Use it too often and it just waters down the effect. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great episode as usual.  I disagree with those who say he's peaked or not as good.  This country will always need someone like John Oliver.

To the video above:  every problem, including this one, can be traced back to money and greed.  How can we continue to feed the law enforcement/prison industrial complex if people can defend themselves against charges, which we all supposedly have a right to do?

The Jonny Flynn (Go Orange!) bobbleheads at the end was hilarious.  The guy who sent them was on reddit and is a Timberwolves season ticket holder.  He bought several cases of Jonny Flynn bobbleheads at a Timberwolves preseason game when they were selling all the old crap they had laying around for $60 total.  He sent a case to John Oliver's church as a donation.  He also travels alot for work and takes one with him each time and leaves them in random places :w00t: