OT Last Week Tonight

drnkirishone

Yea young people, we are the problem.

Also I don't view the Daily Show or this show as news, I view it as entertainment that discusses news.  Sometimes I go off and I look up things they discussed and other times I laugh and walk away.  If young people are getting their news from these sources that isn't an indictment of young people, it is against the garbage ###### that the major news corporations pump out.  I haven't given a ###### about Hillary Clinton's emails for months but foxnews says it's important.  Sorry maybe young people are just sick of the ###### so they have looked other places. 

Let me tell you about Uncle Walter. Those were the days, before you kiddies had your pong and etch a sketches.

I didn't say young people are the problem. I would disagree with any young person, however, who thinks the Stewarts and Olivers and Colberts in the media are the antidote to the mainstream media. Remember, those shows are under the umbrella of the corporate media as well.

That's the thing, ubkev. Oliver and his staff can find a story that is rife with potential outrage and humor and easily create a piece in his style. But it's lacking balance. That's what journalism is supposed to do and why he's not a journalist. It was always scary to me that young people talked about getting their news from Jon Stewart. Really?

To be fair, every mainstream news station is like this. At least Oliver talks about things, rather than just shouting about one side.

Let me tell you about Uncle Walter. Those were the days, before you kiddies had your pong and etch a sketches.

I didn't say young people are the problem. I would disagree with any young person, however, who thinks the Stewarts and Olivers and Colberts in the media are the antidote to the mainstream media. Remember, those shows are under the umbrella of the corporate media as well.

Our Cronkite has yet to emerge.

Our Cronkite has yet to emerge.

And won't. Back then there were three networks and at 6:30 every night the whole nation sat down to watch one of three newscasts, mostly Cronkite. He's not exactly young, but I think Anderson Cooper is about as good as it gets right now. Especially when he talks about Dyngus Day in Buffalo.

Are we never again going to get our Kronkite because there are so many more avenues to choose from, or has journalism gotten so watered down and inept that people don't have anybody in which to attach themselves? 

Probably more the former. (Former-latter always throws me off; I mean to say probably just the many different sources for news, the Internet and so forth.) Cronkite probably wasn't that great. I think there are good broadcast journalists out there that probably put Walter to shame. As an aside, I recently had the thought that Jimmy Fallon has more talent in his big toe than Johnny Carson had in his whole body, but there won't ever be another Carson.

The way that this episode portrays FMLA created a lot of anger and outrage. The cases brought to light in this episode make people want to scream. But there is another side to the coin. I see nothing but the worst part of FMLA, daily. Co-workers, friends of mine who use FMLA to leave work early or not come into work at all for no reason other than, they don't want to be there. And they leave everyone else holding the bag.

I'm not anti FMLA by any means, but there has to be a better way.

I have seen what you describe with FMLA.  I think the problem is more that the system is entirely screwed up and allows for this kind of stupidity.  If we had a system where everyone was universally granted a certain amount of time for a childbirth, this much time to care for a sick relative, this much time to recover from surgery, etc. etc. it would work better.  OK, you're off for 12 weeks, but I can fully count on you when you get back.

As it is now, like you said, it's kind of an umbrella reason for people to take random time periods off from work for a long period of time and screws everything up in the workplace.  Ok, Cindy is here today and next Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday the next week, but off the rest of the time.  How does that person even help or be able to have any responsibility in a workplace?  Like I said, just be off for 3 months and have it over with rather than 2 days here, 3 days here, off for 2 weeks, in for 1 week, etc, etc.

Edit: the time off should be paid, like every other country in the world gives to their citizens

Edited by EastsideOasis

That's the thing, ubkev. Oliver and his staff can find a story that is rife with potential outrage and humor and easily create a piece in his style. But it's lacking balance. That's what journalism is supposed to do and why he's not a journalist. It was always scary to me that young people talked about getting their news from Jon Stewart. Really?

And won't. Back then there were three networks and at 6:30 every night the whole nation sat down to watch one of three newscasts, mostly Cronkite. He's not exactly young, but I think Anderson Cooper is about as good as it gets right now. Especially when he talks about Dyngus Day in Buffalo.

I think the way that people desire their news to be delivered has changed.  I haven't watched a local or national news broadcast at 6 or 6:30 in well over a decade.  The days of grabbing your salisbury steaks and mashed potatoes and watching the news are over. I don't even know who the anchors are anymore.  

The way the world and America really is is extremely depressing.  If I'm going to see that dark side I want it with humor so I laugh my ass off while I'm being outraged.  And shows like the Daily Show and John Oliver actually dig deeper into the why of how things are instead of just reporting on the surface, which is also important to me.  Sure they have some bias, everyone does, but they make me think and dig deeper and become more aware.  And I happen to think that Jon Stewart and John Oliver do a better job being newscasters than the actual newscasters do.

I have seen what you describe with FMLA.  I think the problem is more that the system is entirely screwed up and allows for this kind of stupidity.  If we had a system where everyone was universally granted a certain amount of time for a childbirth, this much time to care for a sick relative, this much time to recover from surgery, etc. etc. it would work better.  OK, you're off for 12 weeks, but I can fully count on you when you get back.

As it is now, like you said, it's kind of an umbrella reason for people to take random time periods off from work for a long period of time and screws everything up in the workplace.  Ok, Cindy is here today and next Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday the next week, but off the rest of the time.  How does that person even help or be able to have any responsibility in a workplace?  Like I said, just be off for 3 months and have it over with rather than 2 days here, 3 days here, off for 2 weeks, in for 1 week, etc, etc.

I don't know about you, but I can't afford to just take off of work for three months with no pay.  When my wife and I have kids, I already talked to my boss, and I will be taking 2 weeks vacation, and then will be part time for the better part of 2 months, with more working at home than in the office wherever possible (hard to do when you're a test engineer, but easier as a supervisor because with network access, I can review results from home).  

Probably more the former. (Former-latter always throws me off; I mean to say probably just the many different sources for news, the Internet and so forth.) Cronkite probably wasn't that great. I think there are good broadcast journalists out there that probably put Walter to shame. As an aside, I recently had the thought that Jimmy Fallon has more talent in his big toe than Johnny Carson had in his whole body, but there won't ever be another Carson.

Nobody had Carson's timing. He made everyone around him funny. Fallon doesn't have that same thing IMO.  

Fallon's very funny himself, but he needs the games and gimmicks to make everyone around him funny. Carson never needed that. 

If Jon Stewart became and actual newscaster tomorrow I would watch him.

As would I and millions of others right along with you.  It would have to be available on Hulu though for the cord cutters.  I'm not messing with an antennae and tv schedules ever again outside of live sporting events  :P

I don't know about you, but I can't afford to just take off of work for three months with no pay.  When my wife and I have kids, I already talked to my boss, and I will be taking 2 weeks vacation, and then will be part time for the better part of 2 months, with more working at home than in the office wherever possible (hard to do when you're a test engineer, but easier as a supervisor because with network access, I can review results from home).  

The time off should be paid.  That's a big part of the point that I negelcted to mention.  Everyone else in the world has guaranteed paid leave except the good ole USA.  Why do we allow ourselves to be treated as less than everyone else when we're supposedly the greatest nation on Earth?

As would I and millions of others right along with you.  It would have to be available on Hulu though for the cord cutters.  I'm not messing with an antennae and tv schedules ever again outside of live sporting events  :P

The time off should be paid.  That's a big part of the point that I negelcted to mention.  Everyone else in the world has guaranteed paid leave except the good ole USA.  Why do we allow ourselves to be treated as less than everyone else when we're supposedly the greatest nation on Earth?

That I agree with

Nobody had Carson's timing. He made everyone around him funny. Fallon doesn't have that same thing IMO.  

Fallon's very funny himself, but he needs the games and gimmicks to make everyone around him funny. Carson never needed that. 

Carnac was a little gimmicky. Sis boom bah, what sound does an exploding sheep make? I loved Carson and hate myself for my Fallon comment. I never thought of timing as a talent, but yes Johnny had it in spades. Fallon sings and does the impressions very well, though. Interviewing, exposed as a guy sitting at a desk, not so much.

I don't know about you, but I can't afford to just take off of work for three months with no pay. When my wife and I have kids, I already talked to my boss, and I will be taking 2 weeks vacation, and then will be part time for the better part of 2 months, with more working at home than in the office wherever possible (hard to do when you're a test engineer, but easier as a supervisor because with network access, I can review results from home).

And if paying everyone for maternity leave were the same as FMLA then I'd have no gripes about it. It would be wonderful. Instead what we have is a friend of mine walking into his Dr. Office and telling his doc that he has trouble working around large groups of people. Then my friends Dr gives him 360 hours of FMLA per 6 months.

Sure, he's not getting paid for those hours, but that's 18 weeks over a full year that he gets off. Put in PTO and it got denied? FMLA! Everyone is going to the bar, and you have to work? FMLA! Got FMLA? Good you'll never get fired for not coming to work.

It has already been touched on, but the changing nature of the media landscape nearly precludes the possibility of a new Cronkite. The network news has to compete for viewers with 200 different channels, the hardcore politicos go to cable and/or the Internet for news that reinforces their views, and so the networks are left providing superficial coverage and human interest stories to make ends meet. Bleh.

The thing about Cronkite today is the left would view him as having a conservative bias and vice versa for the right. Meanwhile, the people most inclined to view him as impartial would be too busy watching HGTV for his existence to matter.

Some exaggeration involved, but you get the idea.

I "met" John Oliver here, on SabreSpace. I dig him. The part real news, part comedic satire, is dead on. There was a place for that when I was a boy, and there's a place for it now. I enjoy his m, and he makes me think, all the while smiling.

Words I never thought I'd say: "Right on, Eleanore Holmes Norton".

It's hard to imagine a Cronkite today for just the reason several of you have mentioned. As much as I liked Walter, I am a larger fan of the frenetic pace of ideas coming at me from unexpected angles.

Imagine the political discourse back in the day when we all went to work or school informed by the same three white men. We didn't know what we were missing. Here's to the accelerated pace of change and the discomfort it brings.

Pandas and PoundTown.

Edited by N'eo

Because it would cut into profits.  We've even "demoted" certain holidays (like Columbus Day earlier this week) so that many businesses do not give their workers these "minor" holidays off anymore.  If they can't even give employees a few extra paid days off every year, how are they going to give the parents of a newborn many weeks of paid time off?

Carnac was a little gimmicky. Sis boom bah, what sound does an exploding sheep make? I loved Carson and hate myself for my Fallon comment. I never thought of timing as a talent, but yes Johnny had it in spades. Fallon sings and does the impressions very well, though. Interviewing, exposed as a guy sitting at a desk, not so much.

That's why I'm not a big fan of Fallon. I'm not watching the show for him, I'm watching the show for his guests. He has the first half hour to be a circus monkey. Unfortunately, it seems as though Colbert is headed in the same direction. Sign of the times? Comedy styles heading in a different direction? Different demographics? Young adults have a different view of what they find funny? Who knows.............. it could be all of the above.

I found Craig Ferguson to be an outstanding interviewer. He didn't get the best ratings because he show was minimal and for the first half hour he had to do what he could with what was given to him. (I think his replacement is terrible). But when it came time for interviews he knew the guests. His tone and direction changed for every single guest. He didn't force the guest to answer questions that he wanted to hear, he asked questions that made them comfortable and allowed them to open up. He knew which guests he could push the limit in terms of creepiness, he knew which guests needed to be taken seriously and he almost never brought them on to push a new movie/book. I'll never forget the interview he did with Zack Galifianakis. Zack's thing is to come out on stage and just be goofy. He never really says anything with substance, he just plays dumb and the audience laughs. Craig turned it around on him and did the interview exactly the way Zack treats interviews........... dumb and goofy; Zack didn't know what to do because Craig didn't give him the interview he was expecting. Of course that's the opposite of what Craig was all about, but it was in his last year and I think it was an interview CBS forced him to do to push a movie, and I don't think Craig was a big fan. The point is, Craig was able to take control of an interview with somebody that usually comes out and takes control of everything. Nobody else could do that.

I was a big fan of the Colbert Report, Ferguson and Stewart (pre-2014). When all those went away I gave all their replacements a chance. I just can't stomach a single one of them.

If Jon Stewart became and actual newscaster tomorrow I would watch him.

NO! We have enough of them. His charm, his gift, his value ... all stem from the fact that he's "un" actual.

I think I get your overarching point about credibility and thoroughness. I just want him to retain his special mojo. We have Anderson Coopers and Brett Baiers.

That's why I'm not a big fan of Fallon. I'm not watching the show for him, I'm watching the show for his guests. He has the first half hour to be a circus monkey. Unfortunately, it seems as though Colbert is headed in the same direction. Sign of the times? Comedy styles heading in a different direction? Different demographics? Young adults have a different view of what they find funny? Who knows.............. it could be all of the above.

I found Craig Ferguson to be an outstanding interviewer. He didn't get the best ratings because he show was minimal and for the first half hour he had to do what he could with what was given to him. (I think his replacement is terrible). But when it came time for interviews he knew the guests. His tone and direction changed for every single guest. He didn't force the guest to answer questions that he wanted to hear, he asked questions that made them comfortable and allowed them to open up. He knew which guests he could push the limit in terms of creepiness, he knew which guests needed to be taken seriously and he almost never brought them on to push a new movie/book. I'll never forget the interview he did with Zack Galifianakis. Zack's thing is to come out on stage and just be goofy. He never really says anything with substance, he just plays dumb and the audience laughs. Craig turned it around on him and did the interview exactly the way Zack treats interviews........... dumb and goofy; Zack didn't know what to do because Craig didn't give him the interview he was expecting. Of course that's the opposite of what Craig was all about, but it was in his last year and I think it was an interview CBS forced him to do to push a movie, and I don't think Craig was a big fan. The point is, Craig was able to take control of an interview with somebody that usually comes out and takes control of everything. Nobody else could do that.

I was a big fan of the Colbert Report, Ferguson and Stewart (pre-2014). When all those went away I gave all their replacements a chance. I just can't stomach a single one of them.

late night needs our scottish douche back

Craig Ferguson was flat out brilliant. I'd love to know what he did to piss off Letterman (Worldwide Pants produced the LLS) so bad that Dave never spent a nickel on his show? Craig just turned that lack of respect into more brilliance, like why he had a gay robot sidekick. #Assmode.

Edited by PromoTheRobot