OT Last Week Tonight

drnkirishone

Craig Ferguson was flat out brilliant. I'd love to know what he did to piss off Letterman (Worldwide Pants produced the LLS) so bad that Dave never spent a nickel on his show? Craig just turned that lack of respect into more brilliance, like why he had a gay robot sidekick. #Assmode.

my guess? his lack of hate of leno.

The way that this episode portrays FMLA created a lot of anger and outrage. The cases brought to light in this episode make people want to scream. But there is another side to the coin. I see nothing but the worst part of FMLA, daily. Co-workers, friends of mine who use FMLA to leave work early or not come into work at all for no reason other than, they don't want to be there. And they leave everyone else holding the bag.

I'm not anti FMLA by any means, but there has to be a better way.

I don't know about you, but I can't afford to just take off of work for three months with no pay.  When my wife and I have kids, I already talked to my boss, and I will be taking 2 weeks vacation, and then will be part time for the better part of 2 months, with more working at home than in the office wherever possible (hard to do when you're a test engineer, but easier as a supervisor because with network access, I can review results from home).  

I'm not sure what kind of FMLA you're talking about with the bad coworkers, but here if you take it, you're effectively not an employee in a lot of ways until you come back (no door access, computer accounts suspended, etc.). I'm almost certain they wouldn't let me use it as a part-time or ad hoc solution. It sounds like your company needs to set a few FMLA policies in place to stop the abuse.

Having just done the baby thing, you described almost exactly what I did. After the first week, my body started to adjust to the sleep schedule and I  worked a few hours a day from home. My vacation time is by hour, so any time I could put in was worth it. I didn't take any FMLA because I can't afford it (turns out kids are expensive) and from what I've heard from other coworkers, it takes days if not weeks to get all the access stuff sorted out.

They did a segment on how pharma reps try and get doctors to write scripts for their "product." Free lunches, payments in exchange for the docs becoming "thought leaders" who sell to other docs, travel, speaking engagements and the like. They put up a link to a government site that publishes the data pharma is required to submit regarding these relationships. I found out one doctor here got lunches almost every other day last year to the tune of almost $3k. A local surgeon hauled in over $24,000. Thanks Obama(care)!

https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/

I'm not sure what kind of FMLA you're talking about with the bad coworkers, but here if you take it, you're effectively not an employee in a lot of ways until you come back (no door access, computer accounts suspended, etc.). I'm almost certain they wouldn't let me use it as a part-time or ad hoc solution. It sounds like your company needs to set a few FMLA policies in place to stop the abuse.

Having just done the baby thing, you described almost exactly what I did. After the first week, my body started to adjust to the sleep schedule and I worked a few hours a day from home. My vacation time is by hour, so any time I could put in was worth it. I didn't take any FMLA because I can't afford it (turns out kids are expensive) and from what I've heard from other coworkers, it takes days if not weeks to get all the access stuff sorted out.

I don't know how it works in any other business, or company. Our FMLA is hourly and must be approved by a doctor. It's a huge joke. I could get it tomorrow if I wanted. I love money, though. So I work.

To clarify my last post. A doctor initially approves their FMLA claim. Then "perscribes" them an amount of hours that they can use towards their "ailments." The employee is then allowed to use their FMLA hours whenever they want, obviously without repercussions from missing work.

It's a crock of .

To clarify my last post. A doctor initially approves their FMLA claim. Then "perscribes" them an amount of hours that they can use towards their "ailments." The employee is then allowed to use their FMLA hours whenever they want, obviously without repercussions from missing work.

It's a crock of ######.

Interesting, I guess I've only run up against it in the context of maternity/paternity leave. That seems like a pretty questionable practice from the outside.

Interesting, I guess I've only run up against it in the context of maternity/paternity leave. That seems like a pretty questionable practice from the outside.

Very questionable, to say the least. But I am 100% in favor of paid maternity and paternity leave. My brother is Las Vegas Metro Police and he gets 12 paid weeks for paternity leave. That's gotta be awesome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...