OT Last Week Tonight

drnkirishone

Another great episode.  I hope that girl in the wheelchair is able to see the special video that was done just for her.  I would love to see a video of her watching it.  What a heartwarming gesture.

The way we treat these refugees, who are refugees due to US in a large part, is ######-up.

Prisons are a large piece of mental health care in America, oh and cops aren't properly trained to deal with mental health issues   :wallbash:

The one-way greyhound ticket was an interesting technique for dealing with people with mental health issues as well  :censored:

Prisons are a large piece of mental health care in America, oh and cops aren't properly trained to deal with mental health issues   :wallbash:

The one-way greyhound ticket was an interesting technique for dealing with people with mental health issues as well  :censored:

America delights and doing the head in the sand technique for any difficult problem. If we pretend it doesn't exist long enough it will just go away right?

I like last week tonight because it brings up a lot of issues and discusses them in a interesting way.  For years the US has pretended like mental health is some fake thing but it is real and the more we isolate ppl in a society the more they are affected by it.

It's funny. Mental health has long been considered a liberal practice that isn't worth spending money on. We've tried it and had it fail at the hands of penny pinching conservative "tough on crime" types before in this country. We tried it in the 70s. Mass incarceration and mandatory minimum sentencing was easier. The rhetoric got votes. 

Now suddenly, as liberal politicians are pushing for more and more gun control legislation, the conservative policymakers and pundits would have us believe they now want to support progressive mental health policy. Every shooting incident provokes "We don't need gun control, we need better mental health care! That's the REAL problem!" 

It's almost as if they have no idea that this was very likely the liberal agenda all along. Push for aggressive gun control, "settle" for the real reform you actually wanted. Let the conservatives think mental health care expansion was their idea. 

America delights and doing the head in the sand technique for any difficult problem. If we pretend it doesn't exist long enough it will just go away right?

I like last week tonight because it brings up a lot of issues and discusses them in a interesting way.  For years the US has pretended like mental health is some fake thing but it is real and the more we isolate ppl in a society the more they are affected by it.

Agreed about the show.  One of my favorite on TV.  As a big Daily Show fan, I knew he'd be awesome on HBO.  

Agree with your points on America as well.  Now that I think about it, just about everything that Oliver covers on his show every week has been happening for a long time, but has been largely ignored by the public.  None of this stuff is going to just go away.

It's funny. Mental health has long been considered a liberal practice that isn't worth spending money on. We've tried it and had it fail at the hands of penny pinching conservative "tough on crime" types before in this country. We tried it in the 70s. Mass incarceration and mandatory minimum sentencing was easier. The rhetoric got votes. 

Now suddenly, as liberal politicians are pushing for more and more gun control legislation, the conservative policymakers and pundits would have us believe they now want to support progressive mental health policy. Every shooting incident provokes "We don't need gun control, we need better mental health care! That's the REAL problem!" 

It's almost as if they have no idea that this was very likely the liberal agenda all along. Push for aggressive gun control, "settle" for the real reform you actually wanted. Let the conservatives think mental health care expansion was their idea. 

I understand what you're saying about the "long game" here, and I hope it's true, but another challenge is turning that rhetoric into action.  Conservatives will want a better mental health system to deflect from guns, but it's just lip service.  They have no plans for it and the action never occurs to back up their statements.  They keep saying we need better a mental health system until the story fades away, then do nothing, then the next incident occurs, and they're back out there saying we need a better mental health system.  Oliver pointed to Mike Huckabee as a prime example of this in comparing Huckabee's actions as governor with his current rhetoric on mental health care to deter gun violence.

Politics aside, it's a hugely necessary societal wakeup call.

I measure these things in regards to my grandmother's life- she was a violent, abusive paranoid schizophrenic. From the perfectly acceptable in its time forced institutionalization, shock therapy and force feeding she endured in the 1940s to her death in 2007 where she was ignored/mistreated by nursing home and hospice workers, we still have a very very very long way to go.

Right before she passed, they got some Haldol in her, and soon a clearer thinking human being realized she'd lost most of her life. No one ever helped her get treatment or could find a legal way to do so. She threatened to shoot the local pastor with a pistol kept in the house for some misguided reason, but of course everyone ignored it. Didn't happen, luckily, but there's our gun control debate. 

I'm glad to see mental health getting some attention. Maybe we can make things easier for those who suffer and their families. 

I really like these segments. I don't watch the show. I do find Oliver somewhat annoying, almost in a good way, and the segments to be strained at times, like they're trying too hard. Too many laugh lines? Then again, I tend to binge-watch them, so it could be on me.

Also, I don't consider this journalism in any way. It's some young people seeing what they can dig up by Googling and searching YouTube. The sourcing is pretty weak. One more thing. I find the personal attacks based on people's looks to be just mean. They railed on some bald governor's head like it mattered at all to the point they were trying to make. Just a bit too much snark for my liking, and I love me some snark.

Income Inequality was my favorite.

"I know this game is rigged, but that's what's going to make it SO SWEET WHEN I WIN THIS THING!"

"If you're not comfortable calling your accumulation of an estate, the estate tax probably doesn't apply to you"  :lol:  :lol:

I really like these segments. I don't watch the show. I do find Oliver somewhat annoying, almost in a good way, and the segments to be strained at times, like they're trying too hard. Too many laugh lines? Then again, I tend to binge-watch them, so it could be on me.

Also, I don't consider this journalism in any way. It's some young people seeing what they can dig up by Googling and searching YouTube. The sourcing is pretty weak. One more thing. I find the personal attacks based on people's looks to be just mean. They railed on some bald governor's head like it mattered at all to the point they were trying to make. Just a bit too much snark for my liking, and I love me some snark.

There's a fine line between satire, comedy and investigative journalism. He knows the difference between the three, he is just miles away from finding that line. I figured he would grow out of his awkward outbursts as he became more comfortable hosting his own show. Apparently not. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

There's a fine line between satire, comedy and investigative journalism. He knows the difference between the three, he is just miles away from finding that line. I figured he would grow out of his awkward outbursts as he became more comfortable hosting his own show. Apparently not. 

That's his style.  The awkward, funny-looking British guy.  it's not a comfortability thing, it's who he is.    

And I think his investigative journalism is needed and connects well with his audience.  They do a better job than traditional media and do some pretty deep digging into things.  I completely disagree with the bolded.  His satiric comedy relates well to people and teaches us something in the process.

That's his style.  The awkward, funny-looking British guy.  it's not a comfortability thing, it's who he is.    

Of course, but he tries too hard. I just don't find it cute or entertaining, it gets really old after a while. Alas, I'm not part of their target demographic so my opinion is irrelevant. 

Of course, but he tries too hard. I just don't find it cute or entertaining, it gets really old after a while. Alas, I'm not part of their target demographic so my opinion is irrelevant. 

Your opinion of the show maybe but your opinion of the topics is not. The show is shedding light on major issues in the US.

I wish they would do a show on paid maternity leave because we have 0 of that in the US. A ton of other countries have mandated paid maternity leave. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[YT]zIhKAQX5izw[/YT]Your opinion of the show maybe but your opinion of the topics is not. The show is shedding light on major issues in the US.

I wish they would do a show on paid maternity leave because we have 0 of that in the US. A ton of other countries have mandated paid maternity leave.

Your wish is my command. You must have missed this somehow.  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIhKAQX5izw

P.S. Can someone give me dumbed down instructions for embedding videos?  I can't seem to figure it out.

Your wish is my command. You must have missed this somehow.  :P

P.S. Can someone give me dumbed down instructions for embedding videos?  I can't seem to figure it out.

Take the URL from the top of the page in your browser bar, should embed

Edited by LGR4GM

Thanks guys. I think I have it now.

That was a particularly angering episode as I recall.

The way that this episode portrays FMLA created a lot of anger and outrage. The cases brought to light in this episode make people want to scream. But there is another side to the coin. I see nothing but the worst part of FMLA, daily. Co-workers, friends of mine who use FMLA to leave work early or not come into work at all for no reason other than, they don't want to be there. And they leave everyone else holding the bag.

I'm not anti FMLA by any means, but there has to be a better way.

That's the thing, ubkev. Oliver and his staff can find a story that is rife with potential outrage and humor and easily create a piece in his style. But it's lacking balance. That's what journalism is supposed to do and why he's not a journalist. It was always scary to me that young people talked about getting their news from Jon Stewart. Really?

Yea young people, we are the problem.

Also I don't view the Daily Show or this show as news, I view it as entertainment that discusses news.  Sometimes I go off and I look up things they discussed and other times I laugh and walk away.  If young people are getting their news from these sources that isn't an indictment of young people, it is against the garbage that the major news corporations pump out.  I haven't given a about Hillary Clinton's emails for months but foxnews says it's important.  Sorry maybe young people are just sick of the so they have looked other places. 

Yea young people, we are the problem.

Also I don't view the Daily Show or this show as news, I view it as entertainment that discusses news.  Sometimes I go off and I look up things they discussed and other times I laugh and walk away.  If young people are getting their news from these sources that isn't an indictment of young people, it is against the garbage ###### that the major news corporations pump out.  I haven't given a ###### about Hillary Clinton's emails for months but foxnews says it's important.  Sorry maybe young people are just sick of the ###### so they have looked other places. 

going to need to agree with you for the most part here.  I know that I'm not getting my "news" from these shows, but it does serve as a launch platform for me to go look at other things instead of getting the that Fox, MSNBC, etc forced down my throat.