Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

She might be worried she's not going to get a piece of the payout if the evidence is weak.

I expect this case to be the basis of a future episode of Law & Order: SVU.

Joe, I used to think this was too nuts for that.   I think, though, that you're on to something.  I loved the ol' Law and Order ...  SVU, i'm less familiar with.

If the mother and daughter were in on a ploy to squeeze money from Kane, as it keeps on appearing more and more likely, both women need to spend some time in prison. 

I don't think we have enough facts to surmise that.  We should wait to see what Sedita does.

Edited by LGR4GM

Qualitatively, Sedita seems quite annoyed at this whole ordeal (and I don't blame him). What a mess.

It appears to me that the case is informally on hold until he determines whether the accuser was involved in the evidence bag hoax. If so, case dead. If not, investigation continues.

That's kind of his natural state.

If the mother and daughter were in on a ploy to squeeze money from Kane, as it keeps on appearing more and more likely, both women need to spend some time in prison. 

See, this statement is where you get yourself in trouble.  IF you want to say that the odds of that scenario are marginally higher now given recent events you might be okay.  However, there I think it's extremely irresponsible and inaccurate to portray this as the mother and daughter are squeezing kane for money and certainly not more and more likely.  There's just no solid evidence to suggest that.  It is not proven to be untrue or true any more than any other possibilities.

Then you jump to prison. Sigh.

And you are back to using "IF" again.. which normally would be fine but you do interject your "more and more likely" which then adds your presumed judgment to the statement.

I am not sure we have enough facts to surmise that.  We should wait to see what Sedita does.

I'm done giving her the benefit of the doubt. The more this plays out, the more it's turning out to be exactly what I expected it to be. If it turns out that I am wrong, I will eat my words. I'm pretty confident I won't be. 

See, this statement is where you get yourself in trouble.  IF you want to say that the odds of that scenario are marginally higher now given recent events you might be okay.  However, there I think it's extremely irresponsible and inaccurate to portray this as the mother and daughter are squeezing kane for money and certainly not more and more likely.  There's just no solid evidence to suggest that.  It is not proven to be untrue or true any more than any other possibilities.

Then you jump to prison. Sigh.

And you are back to using "IF" again.. which normally would be fine but you do interject your "more and more likely" which then adds your presumed judgment to the statement.

The fact that most on here won't even consider the possibility that they're trying to squeeze money out of Kane is ignorant. If I'm right, these women have lost millions for Kane, cost the tax payers probably hundreds of thousands of dollars, and put a black mark on a professional sport and one of its elite players. If this plays out how most people see it, these women  need to be punished and held accountable. I know it's not the popular belief, but it's my belief and much more widely accepted outside this forum. Sorry if it's not what most on here want to hear, but I can speculate just as much as everybody else. 

Stop with the 'if' stuff. This entire thread is full of 'ifs', not sure why you all decide to focus on mine. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Shrader, because of your request, I will continue to hold off.  Also it is Friday and we survived another week. Good job everyone.

it's not 5pm yet.  Until I walk out the door of work, I cannot consider myself having survived.  

I've yet to chime in on this topic yet, but have been keeping tabs in here.  I've gotta say, with the way this is all shaking out, I have no idea what to believe.  I'm glad I'm not in the DAs office trying to sort this thing out.   

What would the mother's motive be?

Wow, how bad does the attorney whose name I won't try to spell look? You can say he was duped, but the rest is on him. He said the bag contained the rape kit.

I would assume the leak regarding lack of DNA below the waist sent her into a panic and acted like a momma bear protecting her cub. Of course, given her ignorance of the evidence handling process and the court of public opinion, she may have done the exact opposite in reality.

Hopefully that was her motive. What an astonishingly stupid thing to do.

Assuming she (up till bringing forth the bag) was on the up & up and believed that her daughter had been raped, hearing that no Kane DNA was where it might have been expected to be and then hearing addition hearsay that other DNA was there instead, the emotions must have been horrific. She could very likely believe that the evidence HAD to be tampered with and she thought this was a way (perhaps, in her mind, the only way) to get it reexamined.

But even 5 minutes of thought about what that could bring about should have included people (potential jurors & grand jurors perhaps) believing the initial accusation was fraudulent and her daughter now getting viewed as unethical by those same people that had been willing to believe her or at least go in with an open mind and willing to let the evidence form their opinion of the accusation.

And that is the result if her motives were good even though her actions were extremely unethical.

IF her motives weren't pure, then wow, just wow.

[EDIT:Meant to imply if the mother's motives weren't pure, one would be left speechless; not the other way 'round. :oops: ]

Edited by Taro T

Seems like more than a fair reading of the situation to infer that the Mom was trying to do something, anything to help her daughter.

Especially, as you say, because of the recent leaks regarding the forensic test results. I think the thing that would have inflamed the mom was the leak about traces of DNA from more than one man found on her or garments worn below her waist.

Did the press conference mention how the bag got to the mother?  Was the shirt returned to them while still inside the bag?

She went w/ her daughter to ECMC. If I heard correctly (WBEN doesn't come in well where I was at), the nurse put a top in the bag and gave it to the mother. Sedita's quote was roughly 'the last person seen w/ the (paper) bag was the person who brought it to the attorney,'

Also, the plastic bag was from the attorney's office, presumably Attorney E didn't want to contaminate the bag any more than it might have been when he received it.

Seems like more than a fair reading of the situation to infer that the Mom was trying to do something, anything to help her daughter.

Especially, as you say, because of the recent leaks regarding the forensic test results. I think the thing that would have inflamed the mom was the leak about traces of DNA from more than one man found on her or garments worn below her waist.

How did we jump to the conclusion the mother went rogue? Is there a father? Perhaps others were involved.

Did the press conference mention how the bag got to the mother?  Was the shirt returned to them while still inside the bag?

The way I heard it is that the girl changed her top at home before going to ECMC. The mother took her daughter to ECMC and was given the bag by the nurse to bring in the top that was left at the home.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.