ROR Impaired Driving Charges Dismissed

Brawndo

That's just it. I know a slew of Mormons. I stand by my statement. Baptist run the lot from pious to well-not-so-pious. Mormons are a completely different religious faith. They wouldn't get caught dead drinking in public, but, get them by themselves and you see a very different side of them..

Agreed about the Baptists running the gamut (from my limited perspective here in suburban NC).

I met some Mormons when I was doing some training in Pasadena in 1998, and they were really cool. One guy used to love to get drunk, but he gave it up once he figured out his dad wouldn't let him back into the house on those drinking nights. He said he got tired of waking up on the front porch with frost on him. He wasn't living with his parents anymore, but he'd still given up on the drinking thing, even though he had no regrets about it (other than the frost). He was a gun freak and hadn't heard of Reservoir Dogs, until I told him about it. I have no doubt he loves that movie even today (like me). There was also a complete video game junkie. He was sober and didn't care who was drinking. The other guy split a pitcher or two of beer with me at dinner before we all went to a Kings game. He had no intention of getting drunk, but he was fine having a few beers with me, or anyone else for that matter. All very likable guys.

At the game, the guy drinking beer with me said something like 'tell me everything you've heard about Mormons'. I said something like 'you're not allowed to have sex until you're married, so once you're married the kids show up immediately, and you like money and work very hard.' He liked my answer. After the game we all went to In-N-Out Burger for the only time in my life. Good times, positive associations.

She shouldn't have done that.  If she really needed to be a shrew, she should've done so in private.  And it wouldn't have killed her to have let him have a little time with the guys and just teased him a little bit about it later.

That's what they do, my man.  It isn't Brooklyn.

That's just it. I know a slew of Mormons. I stand by my statement. Baptist run the lot from pious to well-not-so-pious. Mormons are a completely different religious faith. They wouldn't get caught dead drinking in public, but, get them by themselves and you see a very different side of them..

I will stand by you standing by your statement.

Is Baptiste old enough to drink?

In what country?  

The US is the only country that is nutso over drinking, as far as I know.

Most of the people killed by drunk drivers are the drivers themselves. Followed by their passengers. About 2000 people not in the drunk drivers car are killed per year by drunk drivers in the U.S. According to the CDC.

What's your point? Drunk driving still lead to 9,000 people dying. If bad decisions weren't made, the 2,000 not drinking would still be alive and the 7,000 drinking and driving would also still be alive. Poor decision making led to the death of 9,000 people. That's why countless groups are against drunk driving. They're not just thinking about those killed by a drunk driver. 

Edited by Thanes16

What's your point? Drunk driving still lead to 9,000 people dying. If bad decisions weren't made, the 2,000 not drinking would still be alive and the 7,000 drinking and driving would also still be alive. Poor decision making led to the death of 9,000 people. That's why countless groups are against drunk driving. They're not just thinking about those killed by a drunk driver. 

If a sober driver kills a drunk pedestrian, that is an alcohol related traffic death. Just sayin'.

The only reason this is such a big deal is because a bunch of puritanical mothers got together and formed some political power. Don't get me wrong, drunk driving was an issue that had to be addressed, but the pendulum has swung way to far in the other direction.

Putting a scarlet DD on someone over a .08 is ridiculous. when the average BAC for incidents is .18, is ridiculous. The only reason the limit is so low is money. It is a huge revenue generator for all involved, the _ADD groups, lawyers, judges, police, insurance cos. Believe me, they want you to get that first DUI. Their livelihoods depend on it.

/rant

If a sober driver kills a drunk pedestrian, that is an alcohol related traffic death. Just sayin'.

The only reason this is such a big deal is because a bunch of puritanical mothers got together and formed some political power. Don't get me wrong, drunk driving was an issue that had to be addressed, but the pendulum has swung way to far in the other direction.

Putting a scarlet DD on someone over a .08 is ridiculous. when the average BAC for incidents is .18, is ridiculous. The only reason the limit is so low is money. It is a huge revenue generator for all involved, the _ADD groups, lawyers, judges, police, insurance cos. Believe me, they want you to get that first DUI. Their livelihoods depend on it.

/rant

Just a lot of bs. I'd really like to post the video of Adam Sandler in Billy Madison, but it is has been over played.  

Edited by Thanes16

I'm sure many here have driven with a buzz on when in our youth, which we wouldn't do now. You felt like you had enough control to get home so you didn't bother with finding a ride and figuring out how to get your car back. It doesn't matter how much money you had.

Not to get off-topic, but it's the offseason what else do we have to talk about. I have to make some sort of evasive/defensive maneuvers to avoid people talking/texting on their phone or whatever they're doing with the head looking in their laps constantly. Random estimate probably to the tune of 100:1 that of avoiding a drunk driver. Probably higher. And these people are part of traffic all day long, mostly during rush hour when they are most dangerous. On top of the tiny percentage of texters to drunks, drunks are most common at night when nobody is on the road. Until texters are treated equally to drunks ie jail time for 2nd offenses, community service, revocation of licenses.............. then we will never be safe on the road. If states haven't made texting illegal as a PRIMARY offense cops can hand out wreckless driving, failure to maintain a motor vehicle and/or failure to maintain lane citations, Texters are far more dangerous to me and my family than drunks are and they need to be treated equally.

I'm not condoning driving while intoxicated one bit, but this really bugs the hell out of me. I can't tell you how defensively I need to drive down here while seeing drivers that are completely oblivious as to what's going on around them while cops simply look the other way.

Sorry for the rant, I was long overdue. :flirt:

Actually the thing that bugs me (and part of it may be due to in-car distractions) are people who just drive stupid.  You know what I mean- They need to make a left turn in a half mile, but wait until a block before and try to move across three lanes of traffic from right to left to get to the left turn lane.  Or people who don't know how to drive traffic circles.  There's one on my daily commute and in the afternoon it's pretty crowded.  Three lanes approach the circle:  The first peels off just before the circle and makes an effective right turn.  The next one over goes to that same right turn, or can go "straight".  The last one (most to the left) and go "straight" through the circle or "turn left".  The number of people that enter the circle in the incorrect lane and have feel the need to change lanes blows my mind.... for instance a lot of people start out in the right lane, force their way into the center lane, then turn right immediately.  If they just stayed in the lane they started out in, they would have ended up in the same place (an effective right turn).  Why they felt they needed to force a lane change just before the split is beyond me.  That stuff drives me nuts.

/rant

IMO this is more right than wrong.  I think 0.08 is more political than revenue related.  It sure isn't related to actual alcohol-highway death statistics.

I wonder how many states would have adopted 0.08 if the Feds didn't strong arm them into doing it?

IMO this is more right than wrong.  I think 0.08 is more political than revenue related.  It sure isn't related to actual alcohol-highway death statistics.

I wonder how many states would have adopted 0.08 if the Feds didn't strong arm them into doing it?

After the Feds were strong-armed by MADD and SADD.

/rant

Agreed. These offenses used to have a normal punishment and not the stigma they hold today, you get one now, as a regular person without $$$$, and it could very well ruin your life.

As an aside, who would've thought Kane wouldn't be the Sabre's player in trouble this offseason?

Agreed. These offenses used to have a normal punishment and not the stigma they hold today, you get one now, as a regular person without $$$$, and it could very well ruin your life.

As an aside, who would've thought Kane wouldn't be the Sabre's player in trouble this offseason?

I had no reason to think that Kane would be in trouble.  Has he been in trouble before?

/rant

You may well be right with the other groups, but not police. Makes no diff. to the officer how often you have been charged. Paper work does not get any lighter, we do not get a bonus for repeaters, nothing to be gained. And I, too, miss the days of no damage/injury - we take your keys and drop you at home. The people that ruined that are those that wouldn't stay home after being dropped off.  

You may well be right with the other groups, but not police. Makes no diff. to the officer how often you have been charged. Paper work does not get any lighter, we do not get a bonus for repeaters, nothing to be gained. And I, too, miss the days of no damage/injury - we take your keys and drop you at home. The people that ruined that are those that wouldn't stay home after being dropped off.  

No OT for court dates? 

J/K. When I read this again this morning I thought the same thing. Could probably add judges as well. You're just administering the laws put in front of you.

No OT for court dates? 

J/K. When I read this again this morning I thought the same thing. Could probably add judges as well. You're just administering the laws put in front of you.

It is harder and harder (short of working steady night shift) to get court ot - they schedule during shift). And it pays the same if it is for a ticket as it does for misd.

Honestly, most would rather not have the DD. There are always the exception, we have a youngin' that just itches for excitement, but most would rather not deal with it. For my dept.specifically, it is a half hour trip to central booking each way. Would rather stay in my boro.

It is harder and harder (short of working steady night shift) to get court ot - they schedule during shift). And it pays the same if it is for a ticket as it does for misd.

Honestly, most would rather not have the DD. There are always the exception, we have a youngin' that just itches for excitement, but most would rather not deal with it. For my dept.specifically, it is a half hour trip to central booking each way. Would rather stay in my boro.

I think you would be willing to concede that your experience may not be the experience of all or even most. A guy who graduated with my brother makes a ton on court OT - almost never during his shift.

Also - great insight from you. Glad to hear an inside perspective on this stuff.

Edited by Hoss

I had no reason to think that Kane would be in trouble.  Has he been in trouble before?

He hasn't been in trouble before, but he's easily the most high-profiled Sabre outside of the rink with his social media posts and apparent locker room issues, I figured it'd be him or maybe even another, younger Sabre in trouble and not a vet like O'Reilly

Edited by WildCard

He hasn't been in trouble before, but he's easily the most high-profiled Saber outside of the rink with his social media posts and apparent locker room issues, I figured it'd be him or maybe even another, younger Sabre in trouble and not a vet like O'Reilly

Do that again and I won't be responsible for what ink does to you.

WOW, welcome back.  I remember from the early days of The Sabres Report.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.