Gretzky and McDavid: Comparison Debate

LGR4GM

Gretzky was great. He would not score in todays NHL at 50% more than the next guy. The talent gap closed so the top players are closer.  Also the game is played differently. McDavid could be the Gretzky player of his era or the Crosby if you will.

What's jack eichel comparable too.

Here ###### discuss til your hearts content and stop wasting the development camp thread on it.

Perhaps it's the other way around. Maybe there is less high-end talent in the league today.

Here are all the HOFers, soon to be HOFers, and borderline HOFers from the 1993-1994 season. Compare them to the future HOFers today.

Wayne Gretzky

Mario Lemieux

Brett Hull

Cam Neely

Brian Leetch

Martin Brodeur

Doug Gilmour

Sergei Fedorov

Dominik Hasek

Grant Fuhr

Raymond Bourque

Brendan Shanahan

Joe Sakic

Scott Stevens

Mike Modano

Steve Yzerman

Slava Fetisov

Luc Robitaille

Ed Belfour

Mark Messier

Mike Gartner

Glenn Anderson

Jari Kurri

Jaromir Jagr

Ron Francis

Patrick Roy

Nick Lidstrom

Bryan Trottier

Dale Hawerchuk

Denis Savard

Paul Coffey

Igor Larionov

Teemu Selanne

Dino Ciccarelli

Al MacInnis

Larry Murphy

Michel Goulet

Pat LaFontaine

Chris Chelios

Joe Niewendyk

Mark Howe

Joe Mullen

Chris Pronger

Pavel Bure

Eric Lindros

Mats Sundin

Dave Andreychuk

Jeremy Roenick

Mark Recchi

Rob Blake

Claude Lemieux

Adam Oates

Sergei Makarov

Tom Barraso

Mike Vernon

The Beezer

Alexander Mogilny

Vincent Damphousse

Phil Housley

Sergei Zubov

Theoren Fleury

Edited by musichunch

Here are all the HOFers, soon to be HOFers, and borderline HOFers from the 1993-1994 season. Compare them to the future HOFers today.

Thanks to the stats deflation, we have no idea of how to really compare today's elite to those guys.  The numbers will never match up to most of those guys, but it doesn't mean that certain players today aren't as dominant as some of those guy were.

^

MY EYES!

On a more (less) serious note: How much tail must The Great One have pulled in his heyday?

I submit that no male athlete ever did so well, or had the chance to do so well, in that ... um, department.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there are a few basketball icons who did better than Wayne, and probably a good amount of NFL players too

Thanks to the stats deflation, we have no idea of how to really compare today's elite to those guys.  The numbers will never match up to most of those guys, but it doesn't mean that certain players today aren't as dominant as some of those guy were.

I don't think it's fair to throw those players out the window because of "stats deflation". Let me filter out everyone except the unquestionable greats from the list above. Now how many players today compare to them:

Wayne Gretzky

Mario Lemieux

Brett Hull

Martin Brodeur

Sergei Fedorov

Dominik Hasek

Raymond Bourque

Brendan Shanahan

Joe Sakic

Scott Stevens

Mike Modano

Steve Yzerman

Ed Belfour

Mark Messier

Jari Kurri

Jaromir Jagr

Patrick Roy

Nick Lidstrom

Bryan Trottier

Paul Coffey

Teemu Selanne

Al MacInnis

Pat LaFontaine

Chris Chelios

Chris Pronger

Pavel Bure

Eric Lindros

Mats Sundin

Jeremy Roenick

Mark Recchi

Rob Blake

Adam Oates

Many of those players played well into today's era at the end of their careers and held up fine. A few lit it up far above the pack (Jagr, Lemieux).

Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Keith, Doughty, Price, Lundqvist, Thornton

How many of those guys would fit into Tier 1? 5? It seems to me that most of today's best players fit into the 2nd tier. 

Edited by musichunch

I heard from a buddy of mine that Jeter was in the habit of giving his lady friends a gift basket the day after 

Yes. And he gave the same gift every time. How do we know this? Because he accidentally spent the night with the same chick a second time, and didn't even recognize her. Think about that. Even The Great One didn't get as much as Jeter.

On a more (less) serious note: How much tail must The Great One have pulled in his heyday?

I submit that no male athlete ever did so well, or had the chance to do so well, in that ... um, department.

Pretty strong words.

Do you have a #fancystats case to back this up?

Yes. And he gave the same gift every time. How do we know this? Because he accidentally spent the night with the same chick a second time, and didn't even recognize her. Think about that. Even The Great One didn't get as much as Jeter.

3k hits on the field and in the sheets. That's GOAT material right there

I don't know how you can think anyone did better than Jeter. 

Hmm. That's probably right.

Being in Edmonton for a significant stretch of time would have worked against 99. It also strikes me that -- in terms of his own temperament -- he probably wasn't a guy who worked to accumulate notches on his bed post.

#YeahJeets

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.