Sabres Prospects 2015-2016

Hoss

Guhle's season is done in the WHL, is it worth bringing him in to Rochester?

They said they'd be bringing some kids up for the last handful of games. Thought they were talking Amerks like Bailey & Baptiste. Would be interesting to see what he could do. Though a 3rd pairing of Nelson & Guhle would be, on the face of it, in a word, scary.

They said they'd be bringing some kids up for the last handful of games. Thought they were talking Amerks like Bailey & Baptiste. Would be interesting to see what he could do. Though a 3rd pairing of Nelson & Guhle would be, on the face of it, in a word, scary.

Just on effort put forth alone I would call up Rodriguez over Baptiste. I'd also like to see Dupuy get a game or two.

I wonder how much its worth a player to get a one or two game call up? Has to be a big chunk of money to make that jump for game. What, $20,000? 

It all depends on their contracts but probably the difference between $1K per game and $10K per. Its not hockey, but one of my favorite stories from a few years ago was about a career minor leaguer who got called up just before an extended road trip and made more money from his per diem then he made playing a whole year in the minors.

I've been wondering about him. Anymore insights?

Toi is around 19:00 average. I think I read 50% face off. Not flashy. Sound positioning and good passing. He's been using his size a lot more this year to lean on the opposition. He's not going to be a high point player. He is steady though. A guy you can put out there for anything. He's starting to look like Tallinder. Edited by iTInSn

Toi is around 19:00 average. I think I read 50% face off. Not flashy. Sound positioning and good passing. He's been using his size a lot more this year to lean on the opposition. He's not going to be a high point player. He is steady though. A guy you can put out there for anything. He's starting to look like Tallinder.

Thanks. It would be great if he develops with that size he could be a masher

Kasdorf, Ullmark, McCabe, Nelson, Schaller, Catenacci, Fasching, Bailey, Schneider, Rodrigues, Reinhart, Eichel.

Twelve rookies got a taste of the NHL this year.

Our prospect list doesn't look as strong as it was but I think we are sowing the seeds of some depth again.

Annual Hockey News Future Watch has been out for a while and since no one has mentioned it, and it's not online, I'll do a recap here.

For those who aren't familiar, it's one of the better prospect resources out there because of the source.

Started by Bob McKenzie when he ran the Hockey News it still follows the same principles.

Each NHL team provides its own list of top prospects, which the editors then run through a panel of NHL talent evaluators who give each team a letter grade and come up with a personal top 50 prospect list. Those lists are combined into a consensus top 75.

For the first time I can remember, the Sabres failed to place a player in the top 50.

At 69 overall, and our highest-ranked prospect: Brendan Guhle

2: Fasching

3: Borgen

4: Bailey

5: Baptiste

6: Petersen

7: Estephan

8: Stephens

9: Dupuy

10: Austin

Notable absentees include recent second-rounders Cornel, Carrier, Karabacek and Hurley.

I'm interested in how highly regarded last year's three young defence men are and shocked at the presence of Austin who I considered fringe at best. Ullmark did not qualify because of the time he spent in Buffalo this year.

Also interesting: Colin White, the guy Ottawa took with the pick we traded for Lehner, is ranked 15th overall. Armia was 53.

Compher, Lemieux, Roslovic, and Roy (the latter two being the guys taken with the picks we gave up in the ROR and Kane trades) did not make the top 75.

The overall ranking takes into account 21-and-unders in the NHL and with two second overall picks on our roster, we finished second. Arizona was number one.

Last year we finished fourth overall with Samson (1), Grigorenko (38), and Fasching (75) in the top 75.

This year's five prospects overall, in order: Strome, Nylander, Marner, Provorov, Rantanen

One thing I noticed, and I wonder if you (or anyone else) noticed...

Buffalo does not have one prospect on that list UNDER 6-feet tall. (Only one under 185 pounds.)

Toronto only has two prospects on that list OVER 6-feet tall. (Only four over 185 pounds.)

That is impressive to me...keep building like this and we'll destroy teams moving forward.

Edited by Bob Malooga