Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

They had a hand in setting that board and are able to provide information about said board as well. Yes they probably have non disclosure agreements, but that would not stop back channel info from getting out. As a result of this 29 other teams would have kept them on and released them next Saturday Night.

Based on how well the Eulers have drafted after their 1st pick, wouldn't it have been more appropriate to can them right after the last draft (or the 1 before that, or the one before that, or ..,)?

Agreed the timing of Chiarrelli punting them is unusual. He must believe that their comments at the draft table would be noise he doesn't want to deal with. Would be interesting to know the dynamics of their (the Eulers, not necessarily these scouts) prior draft table decisions. IF their ideas dominated the discussions that led to these results, a case could be made why it's a good decision.

@john_wawrow: Hearing #Sabres will open the season at home on October 8. No word against who just yet. But mark yer calendars. Eichel's NHL debut?

That would be awesome. Would take Friday off from work and have myself a long weekend... :)

Also- looks like we're not the only ones that will be losing someone to the KHL this summer. NYR as well- http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/21/rangers-rfa-klingberg-heads-to-khl/

Based on how well the Eulers have drafted after their 1st pick, wouldn't it have been more appropriate to can them right after the last draft (or the 1 before that, or the one before that, or ..,)?

Agreed the timing of Chiarrelli punting them is unusual. He must believe that their comments at the draft table would be noise he doesn't want to deal with. Would be interesting to know the dynamics of their (the Eulers, not necessarily these scouts) prior draft table decisions. IF their ideas dominated the discussions that led to these results, a case could be made why it's a good decision.

If Chiarelli didn't want too many talking heads on the draft floor, leave them in EDM or at the Team Hotel during the draft. These guys have valuable information which would be beneficial to other teams. Imagine if you are Ray Shero and there is a D Man who fell into the second round that you covet. You know EDM needs D as well and are considering trading ahead of EDM to get him. Shero can put out feelers to EDMs fired regional scout to find out what Chiarelli and the Oilers think about that player and possibly find out if you need to make a move to get him.

In the NFL when a new GM comes onboard, the existing scouting staff is fired the Monday after the draft.

The Cardinals are being investigated for breaching the Astros Player Personnel Profiles. Teams want this information, in order to get a leg up. Particularly the Oilers whose ineptitude was rewarded again.

I agree the scouting staff should be fired because they suck at their jobs, just wait six more days to do it.

If Chiarelli didn't want too many talking heads on the draft floor, leave them in EDM or at the Team Hotel during the draft. These guys have valuable information which would be beneficial to other teams. Imagine if you are Ray Shero and there is a D Man who fell into the second round that you covet. You know EDM needs D as well and are considering trading ahead of EDM to get him. Shero can put out feelers to EDMs fired regional scout to find out what Chiarelli and the Oilers think about that player and possibly find out if you need to make a move to get him.

In the NFL when a new GM comes onboard, the existing scouting staff is fired the Monday after the draft.

The Cardinals are being investigated for breaching the Astros Player Personnel Profiles. Teams want this information, in order to get a leg up. Particularly the Oilers whose ineptitude was rewarded again.

I agree the scouting staff should be fired because they suck at their jobs, just wait six more days to do it.

If you snub them and "leave them in Edmonton or at the team hotel," might they see the writing on the wall and advocate for the next NHL equivalent of Eric Flowers? My guess is, yes, they would.

"No, no, don't read anything into not being asked to the rink in Sunrise. We just know all the geezers in Miami go early for dinner and we need at least 2 of you to hold a table at the Sizzler."

if it was obvious to all (not saying it was, but IF it was) that these guys were toast in a week, it may be better to punt them now.

Edited by Taro T

If you snub them and "leave them in Edmonton or at the team hotel," might they see the writing on the wall and advocate for the next NHL equivalent of Eric Flowers? My guess is, yes, they would.

"No, no, don't read anything into not being asked to the rink in Sunrise. We just know all the geezers in Miami go early for dinner and we need at least 2 of you to hold a table at the Sizzler."

if it was obvious to all (not saying it was, but IF it was) that these guys were toast in a week, it may be better to punt them now.

Most if not all members of the scouting community realize the second a new GM comes they are on borrowed time with their present team. That's part of the job description.

Besides they have reservations at Bahama Breeze, not Sizzler

Most if not all members of the scouting community realize the second a new GM comes they are on borrowed time with their present team. That's part of the job description.

Besides they have reservations at Bahama Breeze, not Sizzler

The Eulers brass that'll be there next Monday probably do. Those guys; they're set at the Sizzler (at best). ;)

Their work is done, I'm sure. Board is set, input has been taken. No need to have any extra chairs at the table.

I'd love to open against Toronto on NBC Sports Network, on Opening Night.

Makes sense for him to go there, and that he would sign there. I don't think he'll be a star, but that will turn into a good move for Shanny. He's not a scrub, that's for sure. (Better than Bailey, IMO.)

Hmm, maybe EDM would be a more interesting matchup. :)

So why would it matter if they were working for the team or not?

They undoubtedly all have clauses that restrict them from talking.  So, either way they are going to be in breach of a contract whether they are employed or not.  If they are willing to leak information after being let go they're likely to leak it while they are employed.  They'd have to be fools to do anything that could cause them serious harm.  So, any information they are likely to give out will have to be so diluted so as to protect themselves.  Even, unofficially speaking, they have to be careful one way or the other.

The concept that they are more likely to say something because they are fired seems weak.  At least to me.. I've been under an NDA and a non-compete agreement.  I was sufficiently interested in maintaining my financial well being and future employability to not say anything.

So why would it matter if they were working for the team or not?

They undoubtedly all have clauses that restrict them from talking.  So, either way they are going to be in breach of a contract whether they are employed or not.  If they are willing to leak information after being let go they're likely to leak it while they are employed.  They'd have to be fools to do anything that could cause them serious harm.  So, any information they are likely to give out will have to be so diluted so as to protect themselves.  Even, unofficially speaking, they have to be careful one way or the other.

The concept that they are more likely to say something because they are fired seems weak.  At least to me.. I've been under an NDA and a non-compete agreement.  I was sufficiently interested in maintaining my financial well being and future employability to not say anything.

:huh:

Is this in response to my posts above? :unsure:

Which fan base you making watch their team's "savior's" 1st game on TV on the road?

They could have Buffalo open their season at home on Thu Oct 8 (vs Toronto or anyone else), and Edmonton open their season at home vs Buffalo (would be Buffalo's second game) on Sat Oct 10.  just an idea.

Moulson and Okposo playing opposite of one another? Former teammates that may have chemistry? That is something to consider. Make a realistic trade and give the guy a chance. If he plays well and manages to stay healthy, offer him a reasonable contract.

I was thinking more for playing on the RW next to Eichel, opposite Kane...but this works too, I guess. (Still like Brock Nelson with Eichel though.)

Hmm, maybe EDM would be a more interesting matchup. :)

GOT EEEMMMM! Lol. I'll take either. Didn't even think of that, but I'll take it.

NHLPA wants 5 minutes of 3 on 3 versus the 4 on 4 to 3 on 3 the NHL suggested, per Dreger.

I would hazard a guess that too many minutes for their star players would be the reason for this. I would prefer the 4-4 to the 3-3, but anything done to avoid the shootout is okay by me. 

I'm also hoping they eventually do something to get rid of the loser point; we saw way too many teams playing for overtime, especially late in the season, and as a result the last half of the 3rd period was anti-climatic to say the least. I can't stand a draw in sports; there has to be some way to get around both the draw and people playing for the loser point.

If there is a penalty called in OT (I know that never happens), would the team on the PP get to put another skater on the ice to make it a 4 on 3?

How about a penalty shot? Or, and I'm not sure it'd work, a penalty 2-on-1.