Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

So when there is a penalty in 3-3 overtime, the rules posted online state that the team then moves to 4 on 3 for the duration of the penalty. I assume when the penalty is over the penalized player then comes back on the ice making it 4 on 4 for a while until there is a stoppage in play. Then it goes back to 3 on 3?

That's the only way it could work, but it seems very confusing. So you could actually have 5 on 4 or 4 on 4 for a pretty long duration in overtime if there are multiple penalties.

Yeah that defeats the purpose of 3 on 3 if it ends up 4on4 or whatever.

The other OT rule about forfeiting the loser point if you pull your goalie is strange as well.... I get the idea, but why penalize the team who's brave enough to do so?

That's what I figured it just seemed kind of strange that you can have more than the allotted number of players based on the rules for OT. It's just not sitting right with me for some reason. :unsure:

If they really want to make it exciting and reduce the chance of SO, they should have 3-on-2 and 3-on-1* powerplays.  :thumbsup:

* and, I suppose, potentially 2-on-2, 2-on-1 and 1-on-1 when both teams are penalized.

Edited by carpandean

A game that doesn't count towards the standings at all?  No, that never happens.

Use the pointless ties as a tiebreaker for the final standings. There, problem solved, they now have meaning. Can we now get rid of the ridiculous point system.  

Use the pointless ties as a tiebreaker for the final standings. There, problem solved, they now have meaning. Can we now get rid of the ridiculous point system.  

Until the the creation of the extra point for overtime games, the point system was the same exact thing as a winning percentage, just a friendlier way of quantifying it.

Until the the creation of the extra point for overtime games, the point system was the same exact thing as a winning percentage, just a friendlier way of quantifying it.

Not the same at all. Under the point system two ties equal a win which is ridiculous.