Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Hey...nobody said you were supposed to actually look at the standings and do the math!   :lol:

D4rk is correct, the standings don't change.  The amount teams are out of contention does though.

It keeps the points close. Makes fans think their team still has a chance.

Which is hilarious and dumb.

With the loser point: the Kings miss the playoffs by 2 points. Without it they miss the playoffs by 10.

Good. They shouldn't be 8 points closer than they actually are.

I go back and forth on the issue, but I'd rather keep the playoff races interesting. Maybe some heavier research would reveal if the loser point really does keep it close.

Either way I think changing overtime is a good start.

We can all look at the standings and say this is how the season would have panned out if................... But that season wasn't played under a theoretical points sytem that wasn't in play. If there were a 3-2-1 system teams would have played a different game and more often wouldn't have settled for an OT point if 3 points were awarded for a regulation win.

We can all look at the standings and say this is how the season would have panned out if................... But that season wasn't played under a theoretical points sytem that wasn't in play. If there were a 3-2-1 system teams would have played a different game and more often wouldn't have settled for an OT point if 3 points were awarded for a regulation win.

Good point.

McKenzie: Pending B of G approval, NHL will go to 3-on-3 overtime for 5 minutes in regular season games next season.

Would really like to see them go back to taking 2 players off the ice for offsetting minors when already at 5v4 or 4v4 during regulation. THAT was fun to watch.

I've never liked thinking of this so called loser point as the bonus point that is handed out.  These games are tied at the end of regulation and that is the actual result and like the old days, each team gets a point.  The real bonus point is the one handed to whoever "wins" in overtime/shoot out.  2 points are up for grabs during the portion of the game played under normal rules.

I'll throw this suggestion out there that has come to mind recently.  If they really think that the fans need to see a conclusion, then by all means keep going with the overtime and shootout.  The change here though is to only count them as a tie in the standings.  Use the shootout (or maybe any overtime result) only as a tie breaker in the standings.  They kind of do this already with the regulation wins column that is the first step to break ties.  I say they make that regulation wins column be the one they actually use to calculate your points total.

I'm up for the 3 on 3 overtime, but why not go w/ a 3-2-1 scoring system? 3 for regulation win, 2 for overtime win and 1for overtime loss? Gives reason to play hard in the finals minutes of a 3rd period.  

Edited by Thanes16

I'm up for the 3 on 3 overtime, but why not go w/ a 3-2-1 scoring system? 3 for regulation win, 2 for overtime win and 1for overtime loss? Gives reason to play hard in the finals minutes of a 3rd period.  

Agreed. I assume it isn't done as it would open up the standings more - which would be a good thing because then there would be real buyers and sellers at the deadline, rather than have every team bar like 3 thinking they have a shot at the post season

I genuinely don't understand why this topic gets so much play. The best teams will get into the playoffs no matter what system is used, and maybe a few 8ish teams will swap if the point system was changed,… maybe. Who cares?

The current point system gives teams with skill (shooters and goalies) a little extra edge to make the playoffs. That's it. The NHL wants them in for obvious reasons. Good teams will still get and and bad teams won't.

I genuinely don't understand why this topic gets so much play. The best teams will get into the playoffs no matter what system is used, and maybe a few 8ish teams will swap if the point system was changed,… maybe. Who cares?

The current point system gives teams with skill (shooters and goalies) a little extra edge to make the playoffs. That's it. The NHL wants them in for obvious reasons. Good teams will still get and and bad teams won't.

You're missing the point. The issue is not who gets in and who doesn't - I agree, that for the most part that wouldn't change. The issue is that in a tied game with 5 minutes to go, both teams basically just dump the puck and play very defensive hockey, pushing for overtime so they can get at least 1, maybe 2 points. The 3-2-1 point system makes teams have something to gain by taking more chances late in the game. Especially if they are behind in the playoff hunt

You're missing the point. The issue is not who gets in and who doesn't - I agree, that for the most part that wouldn't change. The issue is that in a tied game with 5 minutes to go, both teams basically just dump the puck and play very defensive hockey, pushing for overtime so they can get at least 1, maybe 2 points. The 3-2-1 point system makes teams have something to gain by taking more chances late in the game. Especially if they are behind in the playoff hunt

Exactly, it's about entertainment level. Personally, I cannot stand a tie, it's one of the main reasons I won't watch regular season soccer. I didn't go to a game, or spend 3 hours watching it, to feel indifferent about the outcome. Get rid of the loser point, and do 4-4 to 3-3 to a shootout. The AHL study with 3-3 showed a significant decline in shootouts.

I know everyone keeps saying that, I'm just not sure it's true.

I actually think it's the opposite: the current points system gives less talented teams a better chance. They can clutch and grab their way to OT for the point, and if they can hold on for 5 minutes, they get to the shootout which is basically a coin flip statistically. It's rare, but teams like Florida two years ago when divisions based on OT losses and teams like this year's Kings miss the playoffs due to bad shootout luck.