Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Pull vs. root is the question.  What is the difference?  Would you say rooting is something that occurs both during games and in-between where pulling is something you only during a game?  On most nights there is a team I would prefer win a game and there are teams out there that I would prefer win all their games except when playing the Sabres.  There are also teams I would prefer lose all their games.

Just curious how you break it down...

For me, there are differences on an in-game basis as well. Including the matter of whether I even make it a point to tune into the game, or whether I try to arrange my life so that I can watch the game or attend the game.

If the stakes are high and the Sabres are on, my attention is rapt and undivided, and there will be fist pumps, awful dancing, and F-bombs depending on what's happening. If the stakes are high and the Stars are on, my attention is casual, divided, and there will be "haha! nice!'s", snoozing on the couch, and "aww, too bad's" depending on what's happening.

Whether you push, root, support or cheer.................don't ever use that team's logo as your avatar, even if it is only have of the avatar.

Spoken like someone who knows what they are talking about.

That Connolly default was better received.

EDIT TO ADD:

I never had a problem with that avatar JJ.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

This was pretty funny from last night,  watching the nerdy security guy get all dramatic calling for backup because of a couple people trying to get on TV. Watch Moller try not to laugh when the hot chick starts dancing around. 

You WWF fans might recognize the guy on the left. 

http://vid125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/jjfiveoh/2015-12-22%2022.40.38_zpshctqwqik.mp4

I was going to add "even with the long in the tooth Jagr," but then he goes and loses them.

43 years old and he's never lost any teeth up until last night. Pretty impressive. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I love that Dallas team.  Changing of the NHL guard last night?

I'm rooting for my Sabres first and Dallas second this season. 

Dallas had me hooked at the beginning of the season when we got a 4 or 5 week free trial of the NHL League pass. If they are on I watch. I root more for their style of play than the team, they are just the funniest hockey going right now, and I would like Lindy to win a cup.

I do not intend to make much of this, but it's been a minute since I had occasion to observe what appears to be a generational difference in the idea of rooting for a team other than one's own. 

Maybe it's semantics. I'll pull for Lindy's team to win, but it cannot rise to the level of cheering or rooting or backing. I only do that sort of stuff for the Sabres.

Gotta agree with this. There only one team I root for, and that's the Sabres. It's all good for people to do things in whichever way they choose to, of course. But I sometimes find that people find the idea of not have a "second favorite team" foreign. Particularly when your favorite team isn't your home team. People almost unfailingly act very incredulous when it comes up that I am nothing other than a Sabres fan, baffled by the idea that I don't view my home team as my second favorite. I just try and explain that I am a fan of one team only, as that's just what feels right, to me.

Edited by Thorny

I was interested in what the Q stood for and thought others might be too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/06/01/lgbtq-questioning--meaning/26925563/

" is anything that exists outside the dominant narrative."  - wow.. 21st century speak at it's finest.  It's all good.  Thanks for sharing, I had guessed as it seemed more generic a term.

In Canada you'll often see "LGBTQQIP2SAA." I believe it's less common in America.

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Trans

Queër

Questioning

Intersex

Pansexual

2-Spirit

Asexual

Ally

http://www.yeuphonic.com/lgbtqqip2saa-is-the-correct-acronym/

The problem with this is that it puts everyone who isn't straight (I understand the "ally category") into one bucket.  As if each group above faces the same sets of challenges, concerns, etc.  And one of those categories, 2-spirit, I've never heard of.  Actually, I'm not really sure what Intersex means, either.

Edited by eleven

The problem with this is that it puts everyone who isn't straight (I understand the "ally category") into one bucket. As if each group above faces the same sets of challenges, concerns, etc. And one of those categories, 2-spirit, I've never heard of. Actually, I'm not really sure what Intersex means, either.

Well there's an opportunity to learn there if you aren't sure what two of them are!

As far as it putting all into one bucket - there are some that believe LGBT isn't inclusive enough as it ignores several other forms of sexuality/sexual preference/gender identity. I don't see the larger acronyms as problems in any way. Especially knowing that folks are unaware of some of the different parts of the acronym.

Well there's an opportunity to learn there if you aren't sure what two of them are!

As far as it putting all into one bucket - there are some that believe LGBT isn't inclusive enough as it ignores several other forms of sexuality/sexual preference/gender identity. I don't see the larger acronyms as problems in any way. Especially knowing that folks are unaware of some of the different parts of the acronym.

I've done some googling and still am unsure.

But tell me that an asexual man and a transexual man face the same issues?  Nope.  No way I'm buying that.  In fact, they have less in common, not more.

People are People ...

Not sure why we have to have more labels than that.

It's not that simple in the world today and likely never will be. I wish it were, but even I, defender of utopian views, don't believe it.

I've done some googling and still am unsure.

But tell me that an asexual man and a transexual man face the same issues? Nope. No way I'm buying that. In fact, they have less in common, not more.

They don't. I'm not sure why you think the acronym infers that they do. They're certainly part of a similar community of different individuals who are marginalized in different ways.

People are People ...

Not sure why we have to have more labels than that.

The problem with this is that it puts everyone who isn't straight (I understand the "ally category") into one bucket.  As if each group above faces the same sets of challenges, concerns, etc.  And one of those categories, 2-spirit, I've never heard of.  Actually, I'm not really sure what Intersex means, either.

Well said. I agree with NS

Edit: Eleven, there's something where people believe their animals in a persons body or something like that. Not sure if that's 2-spirit or not

Edited by WildCard

Well said. I agree with NS

Edit: Eleven, there's something where people believe their animals in a persons body or something like that. Not sure if that's 2-spirit or not

Nobody disagrees with NS but it's not a realistic standard considering the climate of today.

On 2-Spirt: no. Two-Spirit is a First Nations belief that two identities exist within one body. Could be man and woman, woman and man, man and man, woman and woman... Etc.

In Canada you'll often see "LGBTQQIP2SAA." I believe it's less common in America.

Lesbian

Gay

Bisexual

Trans

Queër

Questioning

Intersex

Pansexual

2-Spirit

Asexual

Ally

http://www.yeuphonic.com/lgbtqqip2saa-is-the-correct-acronym/

Is TL:DR inappropriate? Cuz there is no way I'm getting that acronym out in one breath. Edited by We've