Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Evgeny Kuznetsov has 58 points in 56 games. Washington has two elite number-one centers. Ovie has his patented one-timer, and Kuzy is developing this patented passing play. Love to see the creativity he talked about in that PT article we discussed manifest in this league despite all the dumping and chasing nonsense :P 

Ryan Miller getting abused a bit vs. Anaheim. Getzlaf bombs one in, Manson (Dave Manson's kid? How old am I?) 27 seconds later. 4-0 Duckies. the first two were fairly soft as well. Looking at how this season's panning out, we may well see zero Canadian teams in the playoffs this year.

Ducks are 10-1-1 over ther last 12. Quite the season turnaround. Maybe Bruce won't be fired after all?

Ryan Miller getting abused a bit vs. Anaheim. Getzlaf bombs one in, Manson (Dave Manson's kid? How old am I?) 27 seconds later. 4-0 Duckies. the first two were fairly soft as well. Looking at how this season's panning out, we may well see zero Canadian teams in the playoffs this year.

Always amuses me when this happens. Always tons of articles going ape over the fact that no native country reps their sport Edited by WildCard

Ducks are 10-1-1 over ther last 12. Quite the season turnaround. Maybe Bruce won't be fired after all?

Always amuses me when this happens. Always tons of articles going ape ###### over the fact that no native country reps their sport

Those articles drive me up the wall. I am Canadian, I couldn't care less, (really, not at all) that it could be that no Canadian teams make the playoffs. Who cares?! Half the players on the American teams are Canadian anyways. Never understood the sentiment. The Canucks aren't representing Canada. They are representing Vancouver. And themselves.

^

Good on you. That is not, however, a perspective shared by many Canadians.

It is by this one.

The Canadian concern is mostly pushed by the media, particularly the TV networks whose ratings will be hurt.

A conversation I've had too many times.

Them: "How can you vote for an American team?"

Me: "You know there are more Canadians on my team than (Vancouver, Montreal, etc.)"

"Them" is almost always a casual fan or a bandwagon jumper.

Edited by dudacek

Those articles drive me up the wall. I am Canadian, I couldn't care less, (really, not at all) that it could be that no Canadian teams make the playoffs. Who cares?! Half the players on the American teams are Canadian anyways. Never understood the sentiment. The Canucks aren't representing Canada. They are representing Vancouver. And themselves.

Same same. Who cares ? I'll let y'all in on a little secret. The Canadian media does this to create buzz. I want the Sabres to make it. Could really care less about any other team.

^

Good on you. That is not, however, a perspective shared by many Canadians.

It is by this one.

The Canadian concern is mostly pushed by the media, particularly the TV networks whose ratings will be hurt.

A conversation I've had too many times.

Them: "How can you vote for an American team?"

Me: "You know there are more Canadians on my team than (Vancouver, Montreal, etc.)"

"Them" is almost always a casual fan or a bandwagon jumper.

Same same. Who cares ? I'll let y'all in on a little secret. The Canadian media does this to create buzz. I want the Sabres to make it. Could really care less about any other team.

It's good to see I'm not alone in the sentiment. But Smell is definitely right that it's not a very prevalent perspective in regards to Canadian hockey fans. duducek and bunomatic hit the nail on the head when they mention it being something purported by the media here. That is very much so and to my mind it is well over the top. To catch the hockey highlights for games that don't involve Canadian teams, like when I'm waiting for the Sabres highlights, when watching Sportscentre I usually have to wait until the second half of the show after they've gone through the Canadian game highlights twice each. I get that that is probably dictated by the viewership, but it is put forth by the media as well, it's definitely cyclical.

Once you get used to it though, it's not a huge deal. You just get used to the way the coverage is.

I am Canadian, I couldn't care less, (really, not at all) that it could be that no Canadian teams make the playoffs. 

^

Good on you. That is not, however, a perspective shared by many some Canadians.

It is by this one.

Same same. Who cares?

It's good to see I'm not alone in the sentiment. But Smell is definitely right that it's not a very prevalent perspective in regards to Canadian hockey fans. duducek and bunomatic hit the nail on the head when they mention it being something purported by the media here. That is very much so and to my mind it is well over the top. To catch the hockey highlights for games that don't involve Canadian teams, like when I'm waiting for the Sabres highlights, when watching Sportscentre I usually have to wait until the second half of the show after they've gone through the Canadian game highlights twice each. I get that that is probably dictated by the viewership, but it is put forth by the media as well, it's definitely cyclical.

Once you get used to it though, it's not a huge deal. You just get used to the way the coverage is.

Thanks, fellas, for the dialogue.

I did misspeak. Or, at least, I mis-typed. I corrected myself above. I have a few anecdotal stories on the issue, but the one that stands out is when I sat next to a group of eight or so guys who'd flown into Buffalo from Alberta for the Sabres-Leafs conference finals in '99. None were Leafs fans, but all were resolute that a Canadian team must be in the SCF, as had been the case for every preceding SCF with a year ending in "9".

I'm Canadian but have never had any desire to cheer for a Canadian team in the playoffs just for the sake of the flag. I realize that every team is made up of multiple nationalities regardless of home base. The Stanley Cup makes its tour through Canada and other parts of the world in the summer no matter who wins.

Besides, I have a hate on for the Leafs, Senators and Canadiens as long time rivals. I've never liked the Canucks. Flames were OK with MacInnis and I admired the 80's Oilers. I was a fan of Hawerchuk before his Sabres days. I did pull for the Nordiques a few times, but mainly against the Habs.

Bottom line, I cheer for certain players when Buffalo is out.

I know McDavid will win it because McDavid, but I really think Gostistbehere should get the Calder if the season ended today.

He won't because he'll have half of a season played when it ends, unless he does something ridiculous like hit 60 points. Honestly, if Jack keeps up his PPG pace and hits 65 or so, I think he'll get it.

Eh. Tyler Myers won the Calder. The problem is that the rest of your career needs to happen before a full accounting can be made.

And I can't remember another year in which there have been so many high-end rookies turning out all at once.

I think we'll look back on this season as a watershed year for new talent entering the NHL.  The balance of power in the NHL will shift considerably because of it.

Looks like King Kong will be playing for Chicago in the Old Timers outdoor game this afternoon. Surprised he can still skate at his age. (There might be some arguments about whether the word "still" actually belongs in that sentence. ;)) A few other geezers going as well - Meloche & Maruk (Seals alum that stayed through the move & the merger) are playing for Minny.

I know McDavid will win it because McDavid, but I really think Gostistbehere should get the Calder if the season ended today.

I don't think McDavid will be getting it, too many games missed. He's the most talented rookie but I think it's unlikely he wins it. He may not even get a nomination because of just how many good rookies there have been this year. I agree that Gostisbehere should certainly get a nomination.

25 points in the last 25 games for Eichel.

27 in 27 actually.

I don't care if Eichel doesn't win it, even though I think that, because McDavid missed so many games, and even though I obviously have bias, that Eichel is the most deserving of the award as of right now. Due to his age, position, linemates, and the role he had to take on, on a team coming off consecutive basement finishes. Added to the fact he is second in rookie scoring behind only 24 year old Panarin who led his pro team in scoring last year in the KHL.

I would however like to see Eichel garner a nomination, and would be reasonably disappointed if he didn't.