Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Stamkos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kane

Just one stall would do, right? I don't understand why he wouldn't fit in like the rest. Because he's great?

I'm terribly sorry, Steven, but I'm afraid our facilities are not equipped to meet your needs. A man of your carriage couldn't possibly fit in one of our locker room stalls. But f you settle down, Mr. Pegula would be happy to treat you to a garbage bag full of popcorn.

How do we know he's a big personality?

He's the captain of the lightning. I doubt Yzerman would have a weak captain.

Nothing wrong with having a big personality and being the guy.  My only concern would be how that fits in Buffalo.  Not opposed to acquiring him but the dynamics of the locker room are something to consider on top of all the pieces you would have to trade for him.  I mean we are talking Reinhart, Bailey/Baptiste, 1st round pick, and probably Pysyk/McCabe and that might be low balling them.

Do we really think Stamkos will sign anywhere, especially for the money he wants and will get, and won't expect to be 'the guy' on the team?

That was kind of my thinking. I think he has a great attitude and is a good leader but he's the guy.  I am just not sure how that would play in Buffalo. Could work just fine, idk.

I think you'd be kissing Kane goodbye in a few years if you committed to that deal though. He'll be up for too much of a raise once his deal is done. Now, I'd gladly swap him out of our lineup for Stamkos, but I have a very hard time ever seeing the two of them on the same roster for more than 1-2 years.

Well, cap realities certainly could dictate that, like Chicago, the Sabres lock up a core of 4 or 5 forwards and 2 or 3 defensemen -- and Kane might not be one of those guys when the time comes. I wouldn't expect that to be the outcome with Kane, but it might.

What's your limit, if I may inquire?

Around $9 million. My main issue with Stamkos is that he's a 1-dimensional scorer, who if this season holds, will have just had consecutive seasons of reduced production. That's a pretty big red flag. He'll turn 27 in the middle of the first year of the contract, and he wouldn't be the first guy to show signs of slowing down in his late 20s. To be sure, elite players tend to defy the aging curve longer than good-great players, but the offense is still always the first thing to go.

On top of that, if Tampa fans are to be believed, he hasn't been the same player since his leg shattered. The explosiveness isn't there and the ability to consistently get to the slot has been reduced.

Lastly, he's butt heads with his coach and GM over position. Cooper liked him more on the wing and Yzerman thinks he should be willing to play both, but he's made it clear he wants to play center. Maybe this is just because he hates Cooper, but I'd like to be able to have the option to move him to the wing if it's in the team's best interest without it causing conflict.

Put that all together, and I'm just not willing to sign the guy to a cap busting contract that has a non-trivial possibility of costing me Eichel or Reinhart down the road. If back diving contracts were still a thing and we could lock up the entire core for 75 cents on the dollar, sure, sign me up. But those days are long gone, and I have a hard time imagining we can afford to pay three forwards $11 million+ while still icing a roster deep enough to contend.

Around $9 million. My main issue with Stamkos is that he's a 1-dimensional scorer, who if this season holds, will have just had consecutive seasons of reduced production. That's a pretty big red flag. He'll turn 27 in the middle of the first year of the contract, and he wouldn't be the first guy to show signs of slowing down in his late 20s. To be sure, elite players tend to defy the aging curve longer than good-great players, but the offense is still always the first thing to go.

On top of that, if Tampa fans are to be believed, he hasn't been the same player since his leg shattered. The explosiveness isn't there and the ability to consistently get to the slot has been reduced.

Lastly, he's butt heads with his coach and GM over position. Cooper liked him more on the wing and Yzerman thinks he should be willing to play both, but he's made it clear he wants to play center. Maybe this is just because he hates Cooper, but I'd like to be able to have the option to move him to the wing if it's in the team's best interest without it causing conflict.

Put that all together, and I'm just not willing to sign the guy to a cap busting contract that has a non-trivial possibility of costing me Eichel or Reinhart down the road. If back diving contracts were still a thing and we could lock up the entire core for 75 cents on the dollar, sure, sign me up. But those days are long gone, and I have a hard time imagining we can afford to pay three forwards $11 million+ while still icing a roster deep enough to contend.

:thumbsup:

Well, cap realities certainly could dictate that, like Chicago, the Sabres lock up a core of 4 or 5 forwards and 2 or 3 defensemen -- and Kane might not be one of those guys when the time comes. I wouldn't expect that to be the outcome with Kane, but it might.

I think it will be very telling what kind of deal they wind up working out with Ristolainen before next season.  Do they go with a bridge deal or do they wind up with something more long term.  That may very well paint a picture for how they wind up dealing with our two rookies in a couple years.  That also just happens to be the same exact year Kane's deal is done.  As Hoss mentioned upthread, you can make these things work, but it's going to be very interesting given that those three all hit in the same year... with or without anything Stamkos related.

Just pure speculation on my part but could the team be allowing Weber and Ennis to heal so that they can be traded and pass a physical for their new team? Webers condition was an ongoing issue he just decided to finally go in and have it cleaned up I read? Thoughts?

Travis Yost has some terrific content on league-wide chatter that is apparently intended to get Edmonton to part with some of their elite young talent.

Here are the Tweets - but there's more to it if you click through.

https://twitter.com/travisyost/status/672522471396913152

1. Reality is everyone is trying to push Edmonton to the ledge because, you know...track record.

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

Fourteen games of Draisaitl (with Hall), I have seen enough! TRADE EVERYONE.

Travis Yost added,

CVVEgJvWsAATuOn.png
    m g @kikkerlaikaMore
Edited by That Aud Smell

It's about ###### time they moved some players. Can't move Yak or Eberle as their value is very low right now, and Yak has shown he can at least wing McJesus, but Hall and RNH should fetch huge returns, and you still have a very good 1-2 center punch.

So, what do the Sabres give the Oilers for Taylor Hall?

Just pure speculation on my part but could the team be allowing Weber and Ennis to heal so that they can be traded and pass a physical for their new team? Webers condition was an ongoing issue he just decided to finally go in and have it cleaned up I read? Thoughts?

Weber is worth maybe a 5th round pick at best in trade value. He is sitting because he is our worst defender

Hmmmm, maybe not? 

Western Executive:  "You'd get the most for Hall...I like Hall but there is a missing level of engagement, somehow. You want to love him. He plays hard, with reckless abandon. He tries, he battles. But there is a lack of awareness, it seems to me." 

https://twitter.com/kikkerlaika/status/672519046877872128

Edited by WildCard

Hmmmm, maybe not? 

Western Executive:  "You'd get the most for Hall...I like Hall but there is a missing level of engagement, somehow. You want to love him. He plays hard, with reckless abandon. He tries, he battles. But there is a lack of awareness, it seems to me." 

Sounds a bit like E Kane, perhaps?

Edited by MattPie

Hmmmm, maybe not?

Western Executive: "You'd get the most for Hall...I like Hall but there is a missing level of engagement, somehow. You want to love him. He plays hard, with reckless abandon. He tries, he battles. But there is a lack of awareness, it seems to me."

Sounds a bit like E Kane, perhaps?

That executive sounds like an idiot. How one couples "missing level of engagement" with "plays hard, with reckless abandon" I have no idea. But whatever team he works for, I want to trade with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.