Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

He's heard it from posters on the Internet.

As much as I love me some Tkachuk, Bogo and 8 for 4 makes me want to spew.

I agree, the notion of giving up a slightly flawed but solid top four defensemen and #8 to Edmonton of all teams for #4 is ludicrous.  If they want to accept Bogosian and #38 sure, but you're asking for pigs to fly with a top 4 defensemen locked up and a top 10 pick in a weak draft for #4 to get Tkachuk seems unfathomable.  There has to be some sort of realistic view by TMGM, I doubt he'd hand them that package. 

Interesting. 

Without knowing anything about who would likely be there at #4 relative to #8, I think I would do it.

Let's look at this draft from Tim Murray's point of view.  The consensus, I believe, is that their are 9 good players, but two of them Murray doesn't want (Nylander is small, Sergachev is... what's a good word for Russian?).  If he gets himself to 4, he'll get a forward, it's almost certain he gets either Tkachuk or Pulju..etc.  I think there's some logic to the idea that Edmonton would be just as  happy at 8, taking one of the 3 defensemen, but if I'm Edmonton, I take either T or P.  If I was Edmonton and wanted to get a defenseman, I would auction the 4th to 6th, 7th, 8th, I'm relatively certain that auction would garner more than Pysyk, I'm guessing McCabe.

This morning on WGR, Matthew Coller said he has heard Edmonton is interested in Bogosian (hour 1 ~22 minutes in). Fire up the trade machine boys n girls!

TAYLOR HALL 

Same here

Rivet said that he things Pysyk and 8 would be enough to land 4.

Well, Rivet is wrong  :lol:

not a chance

Pysyk and 8 might get you to 7.    Pysyk, 8, and a top prospect (Bailey/Fasching) and another pick (3rd round) might... might get you to 4.

not a chance

Pysyk and 8 might get you to 7. Pysyk, 8, and a top prospect (Bailey/Fasching) and another pick (3rd round) might... might get you to 4.

Sekera and 8 was enough to get to 5 (Rutherford said he offered that to Regier and Regier said no). I don't think it's going to take much more than Pysyk and 8 if Edmonton likes Pysyk (who is a hometown kid and captained the Oil Kings).

not a chance

Pysyk and 8 might get you to 7.    Pysyk, 8, and a top prospect (Bailey/Fasching) and another pick (3rd round) might... might get you to 4.

Sekera and 8 was enough to get to 5 (Rutherford said he offered that to Regier and Regier said no). I don't think it's going to take much more than Pysyk and 8 if Edmonton likes Pysyk (who is a hometown kid and captained the Oil Kings).

Yes, the real question is how much does EDM like Pysyk and not want whoever will be there at #4.  It is definitely a draft floor deal though. 

Yes, the real question is how much does EDM like Pysyk and not want whoever will be there at #4. It is definitely a draft floor deal though.

Definitely. I have no doubt some teams already have the parameters of deals agreed to for certain selections (as they always do) which will go down if certain players are or aren't there.

I also wonder if we'll see any deals go down relatively quickly after the finals end since there's been such intense talk and the league prefers that teams don't announce deals during the draft.

Peters and Rivet, still gushing over Rick Nash  :sick:.  I would take Okposo for free without giving up assets for a player with too much $$.

No disrespect for Rivet but anything Peters has to say I ignore.

As much as I hate Bogosian, I too think that is too much. Not necessarily because I value Bogosian that much, but I think he could have quite a bit more value than that in another deal.

In the abstract I think he may be right. But does Chiarelli value the type of game Pysyk brings?

If we trade on of our RHD to Edmonton we should also get them to throw in one of their LHD players or prospects. From my understanding they have more LHD than we have RHD so it shouldn't be hard to get one of them if we put up Bogosian or Pysyk.

Bogo + 8 = 4 + Davidson?

I agree. Have to wonder how much Chiarelli values Pysyk's game. On the one hand, he's not exactly a Boston-style player and he doesn't bring a bunch of points like Krug either. On the other hand, with Edmonton's inability to play defense at all, a player who is positionally sound and can exit the zone may be attractive.

Peters and Rivet, still gushing over Rick Nash  :sick:.  I would take Okposo for free without giving up assets for a player with too much $$. 

I doubt the assets given up for Nash are going to be too much--couple of mid round picks most likely. The advantage is you're only going to have to pay him for 2 years, whereas Okposo will be ~$7M for 5-6.

I recall this too.  Kinda interesting how it worked out -- DR said no on this deal, which meant the Sabres ended up with Risto at #8, and not Elias Lindholm (a 6'1" center whom Carolina picked at #5 and who has had 2 respectable 39-point seasons) or Sean Monahan (a 6'3" center whom Calgary picked at #7 and who has had a 62-point season and a 63-point season).  But DR, later that day, said yes to a different Carolina offer of #35 overall (which the Sabres used to pick JT Compher, who was, in 2015, included in the ROR trade) plus Jamie McBain for Sekera.

If one was so inclined, one could read this as a microcosm of the DR era -- he avoided splashy moves like the plague and was terrible at drafting forwards, but he loved to collect 2nd-tier assets like, say 2nd-round picks.  So he decided to trade a pretty decent defenseman in Sekera (who's averaged 22 min per game in the 3 seasons since the Sabres traded him), but instead of using the return on a potential star center in Monahan, he took a good defense prospect and a forward who was at least 3 years away from being an NHL player (and projects as a 3rd-liner in any case).

Back to the original point, though, I would also point out that Sekera was substantially better than Pysyk.

I recall this too.  Kinda interesting how it worked out -- DR said no on this deal, which meant the Sabres ended up with Risto at #8, and not Elias Lindholm (a 6'1" center whom Carolina picked at #5 and who has had 2 respectable 39-point seasons) or Sean Monahan (a 6'3" center whom Calgary picked at #7 and who has had a 62-point season and a 63-point season).  But DR, later that day, said yes to a different Carolina offer of #35 overall (which the Sabres used to pick JT Compher, who was, in 2015, included in the ROR trade) plus Jamie McBain for Sekera.

If one was so inclined, one could read this as a microcosm of the DR era -- he avoided splashy moves like the plague and was terrible at drafting forwards, but he loved to collect 2nd-tier assets like, say 2nd-round picks.  So he decided to trade a pretty decent defenseman in Sekera (who's averaged 22 min per game in the 3 seasons since the Sabres traded him), but instead of using the return on a potential star center in Monahan, he took a good defense prospect and a forward who was at least 3 years away from being an NHL player (and projects as a 3rd-liner in any case).

Back to the original point, though, I would also point out that Sekera was substantially better than Pysyk.

I agree, though I don't believe this view was widely held while he was here. I distinctly remember Sekera being quite the popular guy to dump on. Vocal minority syndrome? *shrug*

Bogo + 2nd rounder and a 3rd for 4th overall

If they really like Bogo, I could honestly see it. After all Edm fans are willing to trade 4th overall for Barrie straight up and Bogo + a 2 and 3 should come rather close in terms of value.

OR 

Pysyk + 8th and a 5th rounder for 4th overall

Then we could turn around and acquire a Barrie/McDoungh/Shattenkirk using #8 as the primary piece.

I know it's been said there is little difference between 4-12 in many scouts minds.  I also know and agree with TBG that the beauty of Eichel is he makes who he is playing with better and we don't have to search for his ideal winger.

Saying that, I'm excited by the smoke out there we are looking to trade up to 4.  Tkchuk is the perfect fit to play with Reinhart and Eichel.  Kid is a beast along the boards and behind the net.  Plus he can put the puck in the net.  Reinhart Eichel Tkchuk for the next decade is like a wet dream......

I agree. I have Tkachuk as the 4th best player in the draft by quite a bit, and like you said, when you factor in how well Tkachuk would fit in to our roster going forward, finding a way to land him would be a huge win.

Good point, and let's hope. I'd rather not give up Bogosian, so something like #8, Pysyk, and a 3rd would be an ideal situation.

As much as I hate Bogosian, I too think that is too much. Not necessarily because I value Bogosian that much, but I think he could have quite a bit more value than that in another deal.

In the abstract I think he may be right. But does Chiarelli value the type of game Pysyk brings?

Bogo + 8 = 4 + Davidson?

I agree. Have to wonder how much Chiarelli values Pysyk's game. On the one hand, he's not exactly a Boston-style player and he doesn't bring a bunch of points like Krug either. On the other hand, with Edmonton's inability to play defense at all, a player who is positionally sound and can exit the zone may be attractive.

I doubt the assets given up for Nash are going to be too much--couple of mid round picks most likely. The advantage is you're only going to have to pay him for 2 years, whereas Okposo will be ~$7M for 5-6.

I was just going to propose adding Davidson to try and balance the Bogo deal out, because I wouldn't do Bogo + 8 for just 4 either. I chose Davidson because they wouldn't add Nurse or Klefbom and I want no part of Reinhart. I don't know much about Davidson, however, other than oilers fans were very pleasantly surprised by his play this year.

I was just going to propose adding Davidson to try and balance the Bogo deal out, because I wouldn't do Bogo + 8 for just 4 either. I chose Davidson because they wouldn't add Nurse or Klefbom and I want no part of Reinhart. I don't know much about Davidson, however, other than oilers fans were very pleasantly surprised by his play this year.

Those are the exact same reasons I added Davidson :lol:

I don't know much about him either, but by process of elimination...

Those are the exact same reasons I added Davidson :lol:

I don't know much about him either, but by process of elimination...

Seems to be a bit of a late bloomer, but does seem to be coming along nicely and is still fairly young. Seems like a character kid, had to battle through testicular cancer in 2012.

https://www.nhl.com/news/oilers-davidson-details-comeback-from-cancer/c-784331

#8, and Bogosian for #4, and Davidson - would probably make this trade, but it's undoubtedly because of how much I like Tkachuk.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/can-don-sweeney-boston-bruins-do-what-needs-to-be-done-offseason

Some juicy defensive-trade talk here...

- Talk is that Colorado may be dangling Duchene to land Jacob Trouba

- Hall and Nugent-Hopkins are the two that Edmonton is mainly dangling to land their dman

- Boston is hoping either Ryan Spooner, a first and a prospect or a package around David Krejci can get a top defenseman.

Duchene for Trouba would be another pretty crazy hockey forward-for-dman trade a la Johansen for Jones. I hope Boston moves Krejci because he's one of the few I like in Boston.

Edited by Hoss

Seems to be a bit of a late bloomer, but does seem to be coming along nicely and is still fairly young. Seems like a character kid, had to battle through testicular cancer in 2012.

https://www.nhl.com/news/oilers-davidson-details-comeback-from-cancer/c-784331

#8, and Bogosian for #4, and Davidson - would probably make this trade, but it's undoubtedly because of how much I like Tkachuk.

Don't know about Tkachuk though, his lack of speed worries me.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/can-don-sweeney-boston-bruins-do-what-needs-to-be-done-offseason

- Hall and Nugent-Hopkins are the two that Edmonton is mainly dangling to land their dman

- Boston is hoping either Ryan Spooner, a first and a prospect or a package around David Krejci can get a top defenseman.

Duchene for Trouba would be another pretty crazy hockey forward-for-dman trade a la Johansen for Jones. I hope Boston moves Krejci because he's one of the few I like in Boston.

- Colorado is the dumbest franchise in the NHL. Hands down

- There are exactly 4 pieces I wouldn't give for Hall

- Not all too surprised that Krejci is on the move

Edited by WildCard

That would be a fleecing by the Jets. Is Sakic that Dumb?

Juicy doesn't even begin to describe these. Good stuff.

-Can you imagine being a Colorado fan if this trade happens? In a matter of 3 years you've let Stastny walk for nothing, traded O'Reilly for a mid-tier package, traded Duchene for a young defenseman whose best season was three years ago, and traded Barrie for "insert subpar value here" ??? At least they have legal weed to ease the pain.

-If that's the case, it would seem to me they're swinging for something more than what we have to offer (assuming we all agree Risto is untouchable).

-Krejci would be a good get for any team looking for center help and in win-now mode. That's not us, but super interesting to see his name out there.

If he is, then the fact that he wants to trade Barrie should be enough to convince anyone on the fence that Barrie is worth acquiring and paying.

Yes I think Sakic is that dumb. He traded ROR instead of signing him for a russian enigma, a russian tank that occasionally wonders off, a canadian kid who listens more to his dad than his coaches, a guy who looks to be a solid 3rd or possibly 2nd line winger and a draft pick they traded and ended up with a 2nd round guy I personally don't think will ever see the NHL.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.