Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Keller was consistently put out there on the PK and in big minutes to close the game. Not sure you're right about his defensive work

I'm not sure I'm right either :lol:

To expand, I'm projecting their roles at the next level, not what they've done so far. I'd be surprised if Keller became a regular PKer or more than average defensively in the NHL. I think Nylander had a shot to be good or better at both.

Congratulations to Marc Bergevin on not joining the ranks of Benning and Sakic.

Keller was consistently put out there on the PK and in big minutes to close the game. Not sure you're right about his defensive work

I would be happy to draft Keller, love him as a prospect. I do agree with True though that Nylander probably has a better all-around game, and the extra bit of height can potentially be a factor. Keller is the forward I would want after Nylander, though. 

For 3, no, probably not, but for 4 or 5 I need it, otherwise its not worth it. I'm not going to move up only 3 spots AND give up a guy who is a second line center on some teams right now to get someone who probably won't play this year.  Take a look at my second post and it gives a little more info on what I'm thinking. I probably don't move to 5 at all if the three top wingers are all gone, anyways. If there hasn't been a D-man who's gone in the top 4 I'll just wait til 8 and get one of Nylander, Joulevi, Sergachev, or Chykryn (please excuse all of those spellings). I don't think Nylander is worth moving up to 5 for, and I don't know if any of those D-men are that much better than the rest to make me pay to get them. That's obviously up to Murray and the scouts, though.

For a D-prospect coming back in the case of 4/5 I need someone of the Ghule-from-last-year vein probably. Guy who has top-4 upside, but is 2ish years out. Preferably a LHD.

What teams would Girgensons be a second line center for? I like him as much as the next guy and I wouldn't look to trade him anyway at this point due to his value being depressed after a disappointing season but I don't see many teams (if any) where he'd make the cut as a 2nd line center at this point. He'd be a 3rd line center at best that can fill in temporarily in case of injury or he'd have to shift to the wing like we did with him.

Rumors are that Glendale is willing to offer BOTH of their first round picks AND one of either Domi or Dvorak to Toronto for Matthews. I just don't know what to say.

I'm on my phone, not going to post links to the rumors. Just take my word for it. :D

Rumors are that Glendale is willing to offer BOTH of their first round picks AND one of either Domi or Dvorak to Toronto for Matthews. I just don't know what to say.

I'm on my phone, not going to post links to the rumors. Just take my word for it. :D

I think you say no. I mean it would be what #7 #20 and Domi/Dvorak for Matthews. If I were Toronto I would say... OEL, #7, #37, and Domi for Matthews

I think you say no. I mean it would be what #7 #20 and Domi/Dvorak for Matthews. If I were Toronto I would say... OEL, #7, #37, and Domi for Matthews

Arizona or Phoenix or whatever it is this week still might do it.  Matthews can save hockey in that city.

Arizona or Phoenix or whatever it is this week still might do it.  Matthews can save hockey in that city.

Good points from both. At first I was going to say LGR is crazy. No way would I risk giving up that much for one player. But I forgot about the hometown thing. Knowing that the Leaves could milk this for all it's worth so LGR's proposal makes sense now. 

I know it's just a rumor at this point, and there's bound to be many more before the draft, but this could be an interesting combination heading up to the draft. A rookie 27 year old GM vs. a seasoned veteran with 3 Cups to his name. 

What teams would Girgensons be a second line center for? I like him as much as the next guy and I wouldn't look to trade him anyway at this point due to his value being depressed after a disappointing season but I don't see many teams (if any) where he'd make the cut as a 2nd line center at this point. He'd be a 3rd line center at best that can fill in temporarily in case of injury or he'd have to shift to the wing like we did with him.

I mean, not really good teams, but if those teams are drafting near the top they're probably not that good. Girgensons is young, a 1st round draft pick, and can play NOW. That's fairly easy to sell to the fanbase for teams like Vancouver who are under pressure to get back in the playoffs now. Still, your point is taken and I might be over valuing him, but in my defense he's the exact type of player that teams like to over value.

I think Toronto is the team that says no in this scenario. It wouldn't be enough for them for Matthews. Would anyone trade Eichel for 7, 20, and Domi? I certainly wouldn't. 

Edited by Thorny

I think Toronto is the team that says no in this scenario. It wouldn't be enough for them for Matthews. Would anyone trade Eichel for 7, 20, and Domi? I certainly wouldn't. 

At one point I was really hoping the Sabres would get the first overall pick, Arizona would get #2, we could swap picks with them for OEL, and I wasn't sure if we'd do it, which should tell you what I think that pick is worth. No way 7,20, Domi AND Dvorak get it done.

It was a somewhat meandering explanation of why PK is said to be unavailable (it actually read like it was created with voice to text), but "pointless"? That's overly harsh.

Overly harsh? This is a message board. F EM! :P

Ron Francis says decision on Cam Ward should come soon. Reading between lines, sounds like Ward may be re-signed. 

:doh:  :doh:

Sweet. I hope they bring back Eric Staal too and give them matching contracts for long term and big money.

Edited by Drunkard

It was a somewhat meandering explanation of why PK is said to be unavailable (it actually read like it was created with voice to text), but "pointless"? That's overly harsh.

Not overly harsh. The guy should've gotten to his point, instead of name dropping or whatever he was doing.

According to same source, Coyotes would trade their 2 1st rd picks + either Max Domi or Christian Dvorak for right to draft Auston Matthews

I'm only mildly familiar with Murphy, but I don't believe much of what he says... I'm sure Arizona has made a serious offer, but I don't think they're willing to go where they'd have to in order to get a deal done and I don't think Toronto would take anything short of a massacre.

Jimmy Murphy @MurphysLaw74

According to same source, Coyotes would trade their 2 1st rd picks + either Max Domi or Christian Dvorak for right to draft Auston Matthews

I'm only mildly familiar with Murphy, but I don't believe much of what he says... I'm sure Arizona has made a serious offer, but I don't think they're willing to go where they'd have to in order to get a deal done and I don't think Toronto would take anything short of a massacre.

Boy, that would be just the worst possible trade :lol:

It would be a bad trade for Toronto. Just picked a random mock, Button's. It would be something like Logan Brown, Luke Kunin, and Max Domi for Matthews. That's not nearly enough.

A franchise centre like Matthews in invaluable, especially to a team like Toronto.

Toronto is desperately looking looking for a #1 center. IF they new they were getting Stamkos, it would be a trade they could consider. ARI is pretty desperate, I imagine they could get more from them. Replace DOMI with OEL?

Edited by ct fab

Don't could be very intriguing for the leaves

What?

If Arizona wants Matthews, they better bring OEL into the conversation. And rightfully so, because OEL won't put butts in the seats and Matthews will.

Toronto does not need any help with that.  Ariphoenix does.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.