Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

The only way Matthew's Rights get traded is if in private he or his agent have made it clear he will not play for the Leafs.

McKenzie proposed a hypothetical situation to some scouts where the Leafs game would want to keep the London Knights Top Line intact in the NHL. Arizona gets the first overall pick, Toronto gets 4th overall, and Edmonton drops to 7th. Besides Dvorak to the Leafs, I have no idea what else it would take to get that deal done.

The scouts said it was interesting but would not happen

Edited by BRAWNDO

auto-correct

I don't know how 'it' turned into 'don't' though.........

Nope, turns out I mis-read the whole thing.

I actually am turning to google to learn whether the team is currently the Arizona Coyotes or the Phoenix Coyotes.

Answer:  Cardinals.

Just throwing this out there while watching the Indians and Angels play. 

The Calgary Flames trade their three 2nd Round picks and a prospect to the Sabres for the #8 overall pick.

The Flames than trade the #6 pick, #8 picks with Johnny Gaudreau to the Leafs for the #1 overall pick. 

It would be an ultra aggressive move by the Flames. They have a lot of talent. Moves like this may prevent them from falling into an Oilers like loop of mediocrity. 

Release the Bolton hounds if you will. 

The Calgary Flames trade their three 2nd Round picks and a prospect to the Sabres for the #8 overall pick.

The Flames than trade the #6 pick, #8 picks with Johnny Gaudreau to the Leafs for the #1 overall pick. 

It would be an ultra aggressive move by the Flames. They have a lot of talent. Moves like this may prevent them from falling into an Oilers like loop of mediocrity. 

I think the Flames are very set and happy at center. I did read an article that says they make the perfect trade partner for CBJ though

Sabres only have 50 contracts so would have no interest in that whatsoever. They want to get rid of picks (like trade 2 3rds for a late 2nd, a 3rd for Nash, etc....)

Too soon for a move like trading for Nash. I know it's easy for fans to want to jump the gun. The young guys are far from ready. If the Sabres are going to trade for an established NHL player you want to stay around that 24,25 or 26 year old range. The Sabres are still 2-3 years away from being a serious contender. Bringing in a high priced 30 year old veteran at this time is a waste of assets. 

a-la Bennett 

The Sabres need a player like Bennett. In a dream big world that would be the ideal trade. 

Edited by deluca67

Why would the Sabres agree to that?

Why would the Sabres agree to that?

4 to 1 asset acquisition.  We're not talking a top five pick or a player likely to jump right into the lineup. The Sabres end up with a NHL ready prospect and 8 picks in rounds 2 & 3 to use in other moves or to draft themselves. The building is far from complete. 

4 to 1 asset acquisition.  We're not talking a top five pick or a player likely to jump right into the lineup. The Sabres end up with a NHL ready prospect and 8 picks in rounds 2 & 3 to use in other moves or to draft themselves. The building is far from complete. 

If you're giving the Sabres someone who really is ready for the NHL, ok.

Otherwise, it's just trading the Sabres' opportunity for someone else's garbage.

Balsy idea, will admit not sure if it works but it might hmmm depend on how down they are on first round talent

If you're giving the Sabres someone who really is ready for the NHL, ok.

Otherwise, it's just trading the Sabres' opportunity for someone else's garbage.

If you don't have faith in Murray's ability to scout the Flames and acquire a quality prospect, why would you expect him to hit on the #8 pick? I have faith in Murray that any player he would accept in this deal would be a quality NHL ready prospect just as I have faith he we could get a solid prospect at #8. I also love the idea of trading the #8 pick as a part of asset management.   

If you don't have faith in Murray's ability to scout the Flames and acquire a quality prospect, why would you expect him to hit on the #8 pick? I have faith in Murray that any player he would accept in this deal would be a quality NHL ready prospect just as I have faith he we could get a solid prospect at #8. I also love the idea of trading the #8 pick as a part of asset management.

If the name's Bennett, "done", but that ain't happening.

Outside of Bennett, I don't see a name (considered Shinkaruk, Poirier and Kylington) that I like more than marginally over Fasching or Bailey. I believe thee three, as a group, are stronger than Fasching, Bailey and, say, Guhle, but it's close.

I may be leaving out a young NHL roster player that we can still call a prospect.

To me, It comes down to 3 Eric Cornels and another Fasching for a Nylander/Keller/SergaChych. One of the three #2s would have to develop into an #8 just to break even.

I'm out.

Edited by N'eo

A quality prospect and stuff will not get Murray as good a player as #8 because of the depth of this draft. You're getting a maybe top 6 player, like a justin bailey if you trade.

Also how is this asset management? Honestly the entire proposal reeks of a gm who is desperate.

Edited by LGR4GM

I really don't see the value of having 5 2nd round picks, most of which will never make it to the NHL. Same could be said if a team dumped on us 10 2nd round picks. We need quality, not quantity. I'm not into giving charity (#8) to another NHL team for peanuts unless Bennett is coming back.

I do.  Your original suggestion did not mention that the prospect would be NHL-ready, is all.

A quality prospect and stuff will not get Murray as good a player as #8 because of the depth of this draft. You're getting a maybe top 6 player, like a justin bailey if you trade.

Also how is this asset management? Honestly the entire proposal reeks of a gm who is desperate.

A top 6 player is what I expect out of a #8 pick.

#8 overall doesn't mean a whole lot, either. Pierre-Marc Bouchard was #8 overall once.

He's not in this draft. The variable is any nhl ready player versus #8 in this draft. We could narrow to Calgary players if that helps. Just because a player is nhl ready it doesn't mean it's valuable as the centerpiece for the 8 th overall pick.

Trading the #8 pick for extra picks in the second round is A) counter productive B) taking quantity to quality C) Lazy.  The draft is what it is.  The strength after the top #3, is D.  You take what you feel is the best fit long term.  Whether that's Juolevi, Chychrun, Sergachev, Bean, McAvoy. Or you take a forward like Nylander, Keller, Jost, etc. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.