Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

hmmm tempting w/o first maybe a 2nd

Telling you Sabres picking 2nd

But you don't make that trade prior to the lottery. That is a trade you make the morning of the draft. A draft taking place in Buffalo, which I would guess means we will be using our pick.

I think sabres pick 9th or so, it's buffalo, I have no faith in winning anything (including a lottery)

Its gonna be a crazy off season I think, Stamkos, Ufa D men, half the avalanche, vesey, etc... Hoping murray makes a giant splash, and something that is thought out of ahead of time (ie, the cap will work with the rookies when that time comes)

Poor man's Erik Karlsson. Of course, he's a right handed shot, which isn't exactly on our list of needs...but his skill set is something we sorely lack.

To add to True's Post

His points per 60 mins over the past three seasons has been 1.15-1.45-.87. He is an RFA as well.

But you don't make that trade prior to the lottery. That is a trade you make the morning of the draft. A draft taking place in Buffalo, which I would guess means we will be using our pick.

I don't think that because the draft is in buffalo we necessarily need to pick, a move that giant would be wayyyyyyyy more exciting than the pick itself. I don't realistically think Colorado does that, but if we pick outside of top 5-6 then I would pull the trigger on it

Pierre LeBrun offers his take on what teams he feels will have active June/July on the trade market

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14875775/nhl-trade-deadline-was-quiet-action-pick-summer

Every year in recent memory...EVERY year, we hear that Edmonton is going to make major changes in the offseason. Big trades...sometimes right from the GM's mouth. It doesn't happen.

So, the leadership in Edmonton vows major changes...but they then don't do anything because they expect 'equal' value in return for their current players who they still think too highly of.

Edmonton needs to move out some of their 'stars', and take the best offer available.  Don't trade them to the first team that comes knocking...but shop some of them..and take the best offer. Even it isn't what you want....Big changes now WILL give you a better chance of being a good team in 3-4 years instead of always waiting for the 'perfect offer'.

Edmonton needs to pick the 2 centers they want and the 2 wingers they want to keep and then start trading guys. RNH or Draisaitl? Hall or Eberle? Pick the one you aren't keeping and ship them out for some real veteran leaders. Idk who is a UFA this year but Edmonton should go get the Legwands and Gorges of UFA and bring them in for 2-3 years. Maybe go out and trade for Landeskog or someone young like that too.

Edmonton needs to pick the 2 centers they want and the 2 wingers they want to keep and then start trading guys. RNH or Draisaitl? Hall or Eberle? Pick the one you aren't keeping and ship them out for some real veteran leaders. Idk who is a UFA this year but Edmonton should go get the Legwands and Gorges of UFA and bring them in for 2-3 years. Maybe go out and trade for Landeskog or someone young like that too.

Could they keep all four of the guys you mentioned ( 2 centers, 2 wingers)?  :huh:

More seriously: I think GM TM's acquisition of players like ROR and Kane indicate that there is a tiering by seniority that should occur in these rebuilds. I'm still waiting to see who the Sabres' "Hossa" acquisition might be.

From Roy

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/04/06/roy-unacceptable-avs-missed-playoffs-our-core-needs-to-show-more-leadership/

Adrian Dater who despite his faults has a good relationship with Sakic

I do believe there will be a substantial trade involving either 9, 92, 4 or 1

Duchene, Landeskog, Tyson Barrie and Varlarmov. Any of the first three would be a welcome addition to the Sabres.

Barrie?!  Yes!!!   

I'm still waiting to see who the Sabres' "Hossa" acquisition might be.

Stamkos?

:doh:

So, it has to be that RNH moves, yes?

(I was mostly joking above re those four guys. Also, I've had a wicked cold/sinus thing. I've been fuzzy all week.)

lol, I would move Eberle and RNH. The return would be good and it would be a good shakeup. Also it helps clear the decks and make that team McDavid's.

lol, I would move Eberle and RNH. The return would be good and it would be a good shakeup. Also it helps clear the decks and make that team McDavid's.

based on what i hear and read, i think those are the guys to move. and, ya - that's what you hafta do.

i do wonder, though: did edmonton fail (need?) to protect its young superstar by acquiring a ROR equivalent?

based on what i hear and read, i think those are the guys to move. and, ya - that's what you hafta do.

i do wonder, though: did edmonton fail (need?) to protect its young superstar by acquiring a ROR equivalent?

They failed by expecting 18yr old kids to be able to lead a grown man's hockey club.

And Ference and et al, the vets they brought in where not capable either. Murray knew what he was doing bringing Gionta into the fold.

Another good call.

This is hard to say definitively though IMHO.  We sure didn't see much effect from Gionta last year.

I think you need to bring in not just veterans but leaders and they have to be talented guys or guys who already have respect. Marian Hossa could play like crap for the next 5 years but he has 3 cup rings, there's respect there regardless. Edmonton failed for a lot of reasons. It will be interesting to see if they somehow manage to finally pull out of their funk.

This is hard to say definitively though IMHO.  We sure didn't see much effect from Gionta last year.

I do think Gionta has helped the team avoid an Edmonton route to an extent (I read somewhere that we have more points this season than they've had any of their last seven) but I think the true leadership move was the O'Reilly trade. That's the one Edmonton should have made but never did, because they couldn't handle losing their brand new assets that were going to be a part of the core (Grigs/Zads)

That's an awful, terrible trade.

The one I responded to, or the exception that involves Matthews?

Zemgus, Psyk, our 1st and Ennis

For Duchesne, landenskog and barrie :)

I take that and run away, If sakic does that trade he needs to be locked up in a mental hospital.   Even with Matthews coming back.

I make this trade very very easily, which makes me think Colorado won't touch it. Sure their management doesn't seem very good, but this is just robbery, unless maybe that pick winds up 1st OA.

I would still do that trade anytime.

Could they keep all four of the guys you mentioned ( 2 centers, 2 wingers)?  :huh:

More seriously: I think GM TM's acquisition of players like ROR and Kane indicate that there is a tiering by seniority that should occur in these rebuilds. I'm still waiting to see who the Sabres' "Hossa" acquisition might be.

That's the O'Reilly trade to me. I know it was a trade and not a UFA signing, but I think insisting "our Hossa" has to be brought in via UFA is being a bit too rigid in comparisons. When I'm doing the comparisons I'm looking at role/impact, not acquisition method.

Toews = Reinhart

Kane = Eichel

Hossa = O'Reilly

Sharp = Kane?

Keith = Risto

Seabrook = ?????

Hjalmarsson = Bogo? (I don't think so, but I don't feel like litigating that argument here)

That's the O'Reilly trade to me. I know it was a trade and not a UFA signing, but I think insisting "our Hossa" has to be brought in via UFA is being a bit too rigid in comparisons. When I'm doing the comparisons I'm looking at role/impact, not acquisition method.

Toews = Reinhart

Kane = Eichel

Hossa = O'Reilly

Sharp = Kane?

Keith = Risto

Seabrook = ?????

Hjalmarsson = Bogo? (I don't think so, but I don't feel like litigating that argument here)

Toewsx2 = Reinhart + O'Reilly

Kane=Eichel

Hossa= ?

Agree with the rest

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.