Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

From Joe Haggerty

Sometimes tough to gauge the validity of these things, but there are whispers of Jimmy Vesey interest in Buffalo, and playing w/Jack Eichel

The Eichel Effect

I know next to nothing about Vesey (maybe even less than that) ... but this sort of stuff gets me fired up.

Vesey is a big scoring RW who is expected to step directly into the NHL.

I'm sure the whispers are coming from the question posed to Jack in the season-ending scrum but it is good to hear Buffalo brought up in these conversations (Stamkos, Caggiula) by outside media.

That never happened pre-Pegulas.

Vesey is a big scoring RW who is expected to step directly into the NHL.

I'm sure the whispers are coming from the question posed to Jack in the season-ending scrum but it is good to hear Buffalo brought up in these conversations (Stamkos, Caggiula) by outside media.

That never happened pre-Pegulas.

That GD meddling earth rapist buffoon.

From Joe Haggerty

Sometimes tough to gauge the validity of these things, but there are whispers of Jimmy Vesey interest in Buffalo, and playing w/Jack Eichel

The Eichel Effect

If this is the case I wonder if GMTM trades a pick to be able to get him signed and in for Dev Camp

only if it is a 7th or something. no reason in trading Nashville much for an asset we all know will be a UFA in August

That GD meddling earth rapist buffoon.

I find this an odd way of essentially subtweeting others and attempting to buttress a position.

And, fwiw, I think the indication that Vesey is taking a hard look at the Sabres has much, much more to do with Eichel being here than the Pegulas being the owners. I'm sure having good, stable ownership helps the team's prospects in this kind of sweepstakes, but having an elite young talent at center (someone who trains with the player in question) is the key.

For my part, I continue to be interested in judiciously applying a critical and slightly cynical eye (although certainly not to any whack-a-doo-level) to the doings of any resident billionaires. I keep reading (browsing) long-read articles in heady publications (Economist, WSJ) about how being in the gas/oil/natural gas energy markets nowadays is a bad and worsening position and can only be sustained by the largest of concerns (such as the Dutch conglomerate that bought East Resources (?)), and I keep thinking that Pegula knew well enough to get out just in time.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Caggiula has high-end skill and speed that make him a very intriguing prospect around the NHL. He’s highly coveted around the league by many teams.  Vancouver, Ottawa, Chicago and now Buffalo are a few teams that have been connected to the North Dakota forward. Caggiula plans to take a least a month before making a decision.  He said he wants to take the time to enjoy the National Championship title. He’ll have the opportunity to sit back and pick the team he thinks is the best fit.

@FriedgeHNIC

OTT and VAN are among top contenders, but now that he can't "burn" a year, a few sources expect CHI (& others) to be a major pursuer too.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-sabres-pursuing-drake-caggiula/

@FriedgeHNIC

OTT and VAN are among top contenders, but now that he can't "burn" a year, a few sources expect CHI (& others) to be a major pursuer too.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-sabres-pursuing-drake-caggiula/

Caggiula could be another Tyler Johnson or.... Corey Conacher.    

He was in Buffalo's summer dev camp 2 years ago. 

from 2014:

"A few of the camp invites had a pretty good go against the Sabres prospects this week. Drake Caggiula was earning plenty of praise from folks today, and Hockey Hotline discussed the strong play from Patrick Russell. Caggiula, only 20-years-old, still has two years of eligibility left at North Dakota. He likely wouldn't sign right now to just be a Rochester guy, but I can certainly see him hooking on with a team when he graduates."

...and he's from the Toronto area so you would think Buffalo has to at least be in the mix, although I'm not that high on him.    

From Joe Haggerty

The Eichel Effect

If this is the case I wonder if GMTM trades a pick to be able to get him signed and in for Dev Camp

I know next to nothing about Vesey (maybe even less than that) ... but this sort of stuff gets me fired up.

I've been optimistic about landing Vesey for a few days now. Some good articles to check out:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey/

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15164386/nhl-top-prospect-jimmy-vesey-spurns-predators-test-nhl-free-agency-summer

I find this an odd way of essentially subtweeting others and attempting to buttress a position.

And, fwiw, I think the indication that Vesey is taking a hard look at the Sabres has much, much more to do with Eichel being here than the Pegulas being the owners. I'm sure having good, stable ownership helps the team's prospects in this kind of sweepstakes, but having an elite young talent at center (someone who trains with the player in question) is the key.

For my part, I continue to be interested in judiciously applying a critical and slightly cynical eye (although certainly not to any whack-a-doo-level) to the doings of any resident billionaires. I keep reading (browsing) long-read articles in heady publications (Economist, WSJ) about how being in the gas/oil/natural gas energy markets nowadays is a bad and worsening position and can only be sustained by the largest of concerns (such as the Dutch conglomerate that bought East Resources (?)), and I keep thinking that Pegula knew well enough to get out just in time.

I know this wasn't the main thrust of your post, and I do agree Eichel, not Kim and Terry, is the primary reason for any Vesey interest.

But I think it would be wrong to ignore the mandate that came from the top Is the reason we have an Eichel.

And it would be folly to suggest that the Pegulas, and their stated intention to create a player-friendly destination environment hasn't inspired Jack to sing the praises of he organization to others.

The Pegulas still have to prove they put a winning organization on the ice, but in the area of improve the appeal of Buffalo, they appear to have done very well.

And it would be folly to suggest that the Pegulas, and their stated intention to create a player-friendly destination environment hasn't inspired Jack to sing the praises of he organization to others.

I agree with this 100%. They have demonstrated, I think, a commitment to doing things the right way and treating their players well. Shoot. I would not doubt that the Pegulas had a hand in, or were at least consulted on, the idea of bringing back Moulson and asking him to billet the team's #1 selection in 2015.

This is the definition of shuffling deck chairs. Imagine if they had just paid O'Reilly, or alternatively, had gotten a real defenseman for him instead of Zadorov.

It makes no sense for either team. The Oilers need a stay at home, actual d-man. The Avs need a responsible, 2 way center, and, losing Barrie just puts them in a larger hole defensively. All the chatter out of Colorado is that attitude is the largest issue, and yet they want to trade for a core member of the embodiment of a losing culture in all of sports. Jesus Sakic is a moron if he does this

It makes no sense for either team. The Oilers need a stay at home, actual d-man. The Avs need a responsible, 2 way center, and, losing Barrie just puts them in a larger hole defensively. All the chatter out of Colorado is that attitude is the largest issue, and yet they want to trade for a core member of the embodiment of a losing culture in all of sports. Jesus Sakic is a moron if he does this

I actually think Edmonton needs all kinds of Dmen. They have Klefbom, Sekera, and all manner of dumpster fire. Replacing on of said dumpster fires with a legit top-4 in Barrie makes sense. Now, whether it makes sense to do it for RNH is another issue entirely.

I actually think Edmonton needs all kinds of Dmen. They have Klefbom, Sekera, and all manner of dumpster fire. Replacing on of said dumpster fires with a legit top-4 in Barrie makes sense. Now, whether it makes sense to do it for RNH is another issue entirely.

I think you could get much better d-help than Barrie for RNH. 

Why?

Subban would demand RNH+Edmonton's 1st

I don't see anyway a GM should trade PK. If they do I can't imagine how much you're giving up to get him. It would be more than Nug and the 1st I think. So I'm firing one for giving up that asset and the other one for giving up so much.

I don't see anyway a GM should trade PK. If they do I can't imagine how much you're giving up to get him. It would be more than Nug and the 1st I think. So I'm firing one for giving up that asset and the other one for giving up so much.

If I got RNH and a top 3 pick in this draft I might take it. I probably also ask for Nurse

Yeah, RNH plus the 1st plus a top prospect (Nurse) is about the price I think would need to be paid. And, as I think is suggested by beerme, it seems unwise to pay that, even if that's what he's worth. Somehow that makes sense to me.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.