Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I get that it's his weakness, I'm just saying his weakness isn't exactly terrible

Exactly, it is like saying the 2nd best shot on the Sabres has a terrible shot compared to Eichel... well yea, Jack has an elite shot. McDavid doesn't have as good of a shot but his shot is still fantastic.

Edited by LGR4GM

And the counter to that is Laine's skating and defensive game are weaker than Puljujarvi's.  Puljujarvi has top end/elite speed and agility, Laine has above average of those two. Puljujarvi has an above average shot, Laine has an elite. It depends on what you value more.

I like the speed and brains over just the shot

Do you want speed and better 2way play or shot?

ps. this is an extreme oversimplification but basically the difference. 

I think developing a shot may be easier than both speed and a defensively aware brain. This sounds like Ovie we're talkin about.

I think developing a shot may be easier than both speed and a defensively aware brain. This sounds like Ovie we're talkin about.

No, Laine is much more defensively responsible than Ovie. He actually works pretty good in his own end if you watch any videos on him. I think Puljujarvi is better defensively but part of that comes from Jesse's ability to outskate Laine.  Really we couldn't go wrong if we were lucky enough to get either player.

Exactly, it is like saying the 2nd best shot on the Sabres has a terrible shot compared to Eichel... well yea, Jack has an elite shot. McDavid doesn't have as good of a shot but his shot is still fantastic.

Going to use this as an opportunity to bring up and salivate over O'Reilly's goal in New Jersey, what a rocket that was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as my preference of Laine with regards to Laine vs. Puljujarvi, I think the edge in "brains" people are giving to Puljujarvi is overstated. The gap between Laine's shot and Puljujarvi's is bigger than the gap between their skating, when you take into account that Puljujarvi has trouble handling the puck at that speed when put under pressure, and is much bigger than the gap between their hockey smarts, IMO. I don't think there's a player that's clearly smarter between the two. Puljujarvi occasionally reminds me of Afinogenov in that he skates faster than everyone else and can't adjust to his teammates not being able to keep up, or has trouble slowing his game down/deciding when to slow his game down. That's a stylistic comparison only, not meant to infer that Puljujarvi is just another Max. 

I haven't seen a shot come into the NHL like Laine's since at least Stamkos. His skating isn't elite but it's good and will not hinder his ability to play in the NHL at a high level, especially considering the growth in skating ability for Patrik from this time last year to now. Puljujarvi still has to show me that he can put pucks in the back of the net more consistently before I take him over Laine. The consensus among scouts that Laine is the only player in this draft with even a tiny chance of usurping Matthews (he won't) and that he is above Puljujarvi (the scouts McKenzie and other guys talk to at least) makes me more comfortable with these observations as well.

Again, this is just how I feel between these two guys. I still take Jesse over any other player for spot 3. 

And this is just for WC: 

Regular Season Liiga stats:

Puljujarvi:

• 2.221 p/60
  • 1.745 Primary p/60 (22 Primary points)

Laine:

• 2.491 p/60
  • 2.116 Primary p/60 (28 Primary points)

Stole this from a Puljujarvi prospect thread on hfboards, I know of your disdain for secondary assists :P 

Lastly, overall, I hope we take Cam Fowler with our pick :angel:

Agreed. I take him over Laine any day. Puljujarvi has the brains, and his scoring touch isn't exactly miles behind Laine's. Laine may have the shot, but I like Puljujarvi more

Eichel and Reinhart have a good shot themselves, they don't need laine (wouldn't dismiss him if pulju is gone though :p ), but someone with the same Hockey IQ as them and who can shoot it as well in Pulju.

Agree completely.

Edited by Huckleberry

Going to use this as an opportunity to bring up and salivate over O'Reilly's goal in New Jersey, what a rocket that was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as my preference of Laine with regards to Laine vs. Puljujarvi, I think the edge in "brains" people are giving to Puljujarvi is overstated. The gap between Laine's shot and Puljujarvi's is bigger than the gap between their skating, when you take into account that Puljujarvi has trouble handling the puck at that speed when put under pressure, and is much bigger than the gap between their hockey smarts, IMO. I don't think there's a player that's clearly smarter between the two. Puljujarvi occasionally reminds me of Afinogenov in that he skates faster than everyone else and can't adjust to his teammates not being able to keep up, or has trouble slowing his game down/deciding when to slow his game down. That's a stylistic comparison only, not meant to infer that Puljujarvi is just another Max.

I haven't seen a shot come into the NHL like Laine's since at least Stamkos. His skating isn't elite but it's good and will not hinder his ability to play in the NHL at a high level, especially considering the growth in skating ability for Patrik from this time last year to now. Puljujarvi still has to show me that he can put pucks in the back of the net more consistently before I take him over Laine. The consensus among scouts that Laine is the only player in this draft with even a tiny chance of usurping Matthews (he won't) and that he is above Puljujarvi (the scouts McKenzie and other guys talk to at least) makes me more comfortable with these observations as well.

Again, this is just how I feel between these two guys. I still take Jesse over any other player for spot 3.

And this is just for WC:

Regular Season Liiga stats:

Puljujarvi:

• 2.221 p/60
  • 1.745 Primary p/60 (22 Primary points)
Laine:
  • 2.491 p/60
  • 2.116 Primary p/60 (28 Primary points)

Stole this from a Puljujarvi prospect thread on hfboards, I know of your disdain for secondary assists :P

I hope you get paid to care this much about guys that have about a 5% chance on being a Sabre.

Am I wrong to see Puj top out as a 30/30 extremely responsible all-around winger?

A first-liner, but not an elite offensive guy?

Kinda like Hossa in terms of stature and role, but not quite the hands?

I see Laine as being a guy who will challenge for the Rocket Richard every year.

Downside Vanek, upside Mike Bossy.

Not just you dudacek, but people tend to confused how Hossa currently is to how he played for the first half of his career

I was going with the 50-70 point Hawk, not the 90-point Thrasher.

I like both Finns and usually prefer an honest, smart Puj type.

But I just get a sense that Laine has offence that the other guy doesn't have - an it factor that will manifest it self in big moments.

Edited by dudacek

Nice job there. Fine I'll flip and say Laine with the second pick. But I must agree with you I will take Cam Fowler with our pick lol. 

Which of Laine and Pujiwhatsit is the more durable? If you're debating fractional differences, then perhaps durability should tilt the scales.

I'm kind of tired of seeing important players going down due to random injury. I like that Eichel seems uncommonly durable (due in part to his ability to avoid hits) and would like more of that. Larrson seems pretty durable as well.

Picks and Prospects. What would the Sabres need to give up. Risto, 16 or 17 1st and what else?

Reinhart, easily. Montreal will be looking for young, franchise centers.

Reinhart + 2017 1st + 2016 2nd + some prospect

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.