Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Or Risto can be Keith and they can be Seabrook. However we get there.

I'm not comfortable with that timeline--it took Risto 3 years to become a top pairing Dman, and we have to hope he continues to improve. Waiting 3-4 years for Sergachev or Juolevi to get there is not appealing to me, and I like both of them a lot.

I'm not comfortable with that timeline--it took Risto 3 years to become a top pairing Dman, and we have to hope he continues to improve. Waiting 3-4 years for Sergachev or Juolevi to get there is not appealing to me, and I like both of them a lot.

Can they be Haljamarrssson? And we can trade and get Barrie or Fowler?

Edited by LGR4GM

Sure, all possible. But it's going to take time for them to get there...granted, having our Hjalmarsson be subpar as he develops is better than our Seabrook being there. My point was simply I don't think we should be planning to get our #2 from this draft, even if whoever we pick develops into it four years down the road.

With where our pick likely is without winning a lottery, I will be really sad if we take a player with it.

Eh, everything I've read puts 4/5-10 this year as pretty equivalent talent-wise. Personally I'm hoping we can get the immediate help we need without trading this pick, although I'm certainly willing to move it.

Why?

Because I want something like this:

Say we pick at 9. Our first for Jonas Brodin.

Could sweeten it by flipping some contracts, or throwing them a cheap d-man for a lesser pick, but the core assets make sense for both teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure, all possible. But it's going to take time for them to get there...granted, having our Hjalmarsson be subpar as he develops is better than our Seabrook being there. My point was simply I don't think we should be planning to get our #2 from this draft, even if whoever we pick develops into it four years down the road.

Eh, everything I've read puts 4/5-10 this year as pretty equivalent talent-wise. Personally I'm hoping we can get the immediate help we need without trading this pick, although I'm certainly willing to move it.

I've read that too, but I only want to take the pick if it's top 3, and even then I'm looking to move it first before taking a player.

Because I want something like this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read that too, but I only want to take the pick if it's top 3, and even then I'm looking to move it first before taking a player.

Ah, gotcha. I'm not there yet, but could get there if other options are exhausted without result.

Say we pick at 9. Our first for Jonas Brodin.

Could sweeten it by flipping some contracts, or throwing them a cheap d-man for a lesser pick, but the core assets make sense for both teams.

I have such mixed feelings on Brodin. He looked like a stud in the making his rookie year, then really stagnated. While I think a smooth stay-at-home style could work with Risto, my first choice is somebody with more offensive pop than Brodin offers, especially if we're moving our 1st this year. 

I've also read that although he's a lefty, he prefers to play the right side...obviously the deal is dead in the water if he's really set on playing the right. His most common partners are Dumba ® and Scandella (L), so who knows how key this is for him.

I'm not totally against Brodin or anything, but I have questions/concerns. 

I'd be very surprised that barring the Sabres winning the lottery that a player of that caliber doesn't get traded for. And would not be at all surprised to see that sort of trade even if they do get lucky.

Ah, gotcha. I'm not there yet, but could get there if other options are exhausted without result.

I have such mixed feelings on Brodin. He looked like a stud in the making his rookie year, then really stagnated. While I think a smooth stay-at-home style could work with Risto, my first choice is somebody with more offensive pop than Brodin offers, especially if we're moving our 1st this year. 

I've also read that although he's a lefty, he prefers to play the right side...obviously the deal is dead in the water if he's really set on playing the right. His most common partners are Dumba ® and Scandella (L), so who knows how key this is for him.

I'm not totally against Brodin or anything, but I have questions/concerns.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to laugh at "Dumba" being a registered trademark. :lol:

Lowest value, lowest value, broken, middling, broken.

In my mind none of this or even all of it gets you a lot

Probably true. Zemgus and Ennis are at their lowest values right now. The only piece of actual value I'd move is our pick

I'd be very surprised that barring the Sabres winning the lottery that a player of that caliber doesn't get traded for. And would not be at all surprised to see that sort of trade even if they do get lucky.

Please tell me I'm not the only one to laugh at "Dumba" being a registered trademark. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUMBA

This is hard to say definitively though IMHO.  We sure didn't see much effect from Gionta last year.

If I am recalling correctly there was a period of time last year when Gionta was out of the lineup and the Sabres were that much worse.  So I think there was impact last year as well.  Not as much as this year because they were playing him in the wrong role.

Agreed. I take him over Laine any day. Puljujarvi has the brains, and his scoring touch isn't exactly miles behind Laine's. Laine may have the shot, but I like Puljujarvi more

Puljujarvi's weakness is actually his finishing ability, so yeah, his scoring touch lags behind the guy with the best shot as a prospect since Stamkos (IMO). Laine seems to be a consensus number two pick, and is with me, but I do like Jesse too. Top three pick and I don't care if we take it or trade it, but after that I want it traded.

Puljujarvi's weakness is actually his finishing ability, so yeah, his scoring touch lags behind the guy with the best shot as a prospect since Stamkos (IMO). Laine seems to be a consensus number two pick, and is with me, but I do like Jesse too. Top three pick and I don't care if we take it or trade it, but after that I want it traded.

And the counter to that is Laine's skating and defensive game are weaker than Puljujarvi's.  Puljujarvi has top end/elite speed and agility, Laine has above average of those two. Puljujarvi has an above average shot, Laine has an elite. It depends on what you value more.

I get that it's his weakness, I'm just saying his weakness isn't exactly terrible

"Puljujarvi is a smart and elusive player who possesses some very good hands. There is no stopping this kid once he gets moving; a big, powerful skater possesses the speed and puck skills that will make NHL teams drool. Playmaking and finishing ability is elite – he knows when to pass it off with a hard pass on the tape and he knows when he has the time and space to drive the net or take a shot."

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Jesse-Puljujarvi

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.