Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

No frickn way would I do this deal. Malkin hasn't scored more than 28 goals since 2011-12 and he'll be 29 when the season starts which means he may have only a few years left.  And you want to give up Reinhart, Zadorov, 21st and another prospect for a guy who avg 53 games & 20 goals the last 3 seasons???

anyone that wants that deal is on serious crack.

One of those seasons was a lockout shortened year.

Didn't someone a while back do a stats breakdown that shows forwards actually reach their peak in point production much earlier than generally assumed? From what I remember they often peaked around 22-24 and then plateau for 4-5 years before declining. I can't remember who it was but it was a really good break down.

I'd love to get a guy like Malkin but his age and injury history along with what he'd cost in assets to acquire concerns me. He's nearing the end of his plateau and even if he's not this team won't be in serious contention until his decline begins in all liklihood.

No way I'd give up any of Eichel, Reinhart, or Ristolainen to acquire him. We suffered through 2 complete garbage seasons two acquire Eichel and Reinhart and seemed to have lucked out with the run on forwards to acquire Ristolainen at #8 in his draft year. Those 3 players are our future core I would think and they would absolutely be off the table in any trade negotiations. Zadorov isn't up there with those other 3 but he has the potential to be and I hope within a year or two he winds up there.

This is beyond speculation, simply for fun, but if the Bolts have as bad a riff between Cooper and Drouin as some are saying, how much would the Sabres have to give up to get him? Our #21, Zadarov and Compher? Throw in next year's first as well? 

Edited by sabres1970

It seems like every player 27/28+ is thrown in a category of nearing the end of their runs... When was the last time a truly great player didn't continue their success deep into their 30s?

(I get that guys at that age are riskier for us because it'll be 2-3 years before we'd be able to take full advantage of their skill, but "wrong side of 30" and saying Malkin has a few years left has been a theme here)

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but what I'm talking about is decline...I don't mean to imply an elite player will suddenly become completely ineffective. I don't want to pay a premium in both assets and cap space for a player's peak performance when we're unlikely to see it when we're ready to really compete.

Sticking with Malkin, if he's healthy, he's a PPG+ player, so you're looking at around 85 points per season. When he starts his skill decline I'd still expect him to be in the 60 point range, which is very good and worthy of 1st line status. My problem is paying for a huge trade package worthy of an 85 point player and $9.5 million per for a 65 point player.

That's all I'm saying. "Past their prime" doesn't mean dead, but I think it changes the value involved and alters what ultimately makes sense for where the Sabres are currently at.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

All this talk about Arizona needing centers and Carolina thinking about trading it's top 5 pick to Toronto. What does Murray have planned with Grigrenko, Hodgson and the 21st pick. To me these 3  have more upside then Kessel does who seems like is a locker room cancer and Kadri has to mature. Lets face it Hodgson had the worst season in his hockey career and Grigrenko should be better this year and the 21st pick gives them a player to build with. Why not try to move all three to Arizona who Darcy knows well or even Carolina and swing a deal for Marner.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I may be slightly late on this (or missed it).... but if we were to trade for Eddie Lack, would that be under the condition that we sign him to extension?  He is a UFA next year.

I think that GMTM will certainly do his due diligence and see what's out there, but he's not breaking the bank on s 1- to 2-year stop gap.

(Just remembered there's another thread for this...)

Plenty of free agent goalie's to sign for the short term. I don't believe we should give up high picks for a goalie. Let Irbe continue to work with whoever we get next season. I just don't believe we should rush this whole process. The offense should be better in 2015-16 and as well as the defense. Lindback wasn't bad when he was number 1 and isn't the answer longterm but this team could use that time to develop one or two.

This is beyond speculation, simply for fun, but if the Bolts have as bad a riff between Cooper and Drouin as some are saying, how much would the Sabres have to give up to get him? Our #21, Zadarov and Compher? Throw in next year's first as well? 

I don't know what's going on with Drouin down there, but I have heard Stamkos and Cooper aren't exactly buddy-buddy. Though I bet Cooper would be gone before Stamkos ever is

That's a ridiculous amount to give up for somebody who had a decent season at best. Maybe two of the first three assets, but it wouldn't get a deal done.

Also: the point about players peaking in production around 22/23 is probably because a lot of the players in their late 20s have experienced more watered-down scoring as their 20s progressed. It doesn't mean they peaked at the earlier age.

That's a ridiculous amount to give up for somebody who had a decent season at best. Maybe two of the first three assets, but it wouldn't get a deal done.

Also: the point about players peaking in production around 22/23 is probably because a lot of the players in their late 20s have experienced more watered-down scoring as their 20s progressed. It doesn't mean they peaked at the earlier age.

Wouldn't you be trading for the kind of player you think he will become, though? You wouldn't base your trade on the kind of season he had as a rookie.

Wouldn't you be trading for the kind of player you think he will become, though? You wouldn't base your trade on the kind of season he had as a rookie.

This is true, but still --  two first round picks + a first round selection with a high ceiling + a 2nd round selection who was just named captain of his college team? That seems excessive for Drouin. 

This is true, but still -- two first round picks + a first round selection with a high ceiling + a 2nd round selection who was just named captain of his college team? That seems excessive for Drouin.

Would Arizona take Zadarov, 21, Compher, and next year's #1 for #3? IF both Tampa and Arizona took this deal ( even though Murray would never do it) who would you rather have - Drouin or #3?

Would Arizona take Zadarov, 21, Compher, and next year's #1 for #3? IF both Tampa and Arizona took this deal ( even though Murray would never do it) who would you rather have - Drouin or #3?

Well if I had to choose between those two options, I'd probably take Drouin as he's further along in development and has proven he can play in the NHL, albeit maybe not at its highest level yet.

But I wouldn't be particularly interested in either option for that price, and as you mentioned, I don't think Murray would be either. You could net an established top 6 forward for that kind of ransom, which is where my focus lays (even if it's not Kessel :P). 

No one uses Bro anymore so stop.

Malkin typically only plays with Crosby on the PP and in rare circumstances.  

I have no desire to acquire Malkin but the Hodgson point is, well the filter would block most of it so I will call it hyperbole.  

I use bro...that's all that matters...bro

No one uses Bro anymore so stop.

Malkin typically only plays with Crosby on the PP and in rare circumstances.  

I have no desire to acquire Malkin but the Hodgson point is, well the filter would block most of it so I will call it hyperbole.  

I use bro...that's all that matters...bro

Y'alls' GMTM avatars are too similar, I keep quickly reading and assuming dejeanerret is Liger.

If Arizona was going to trade the #3 pick it will obviously get them a hefty package in return. If you are a team like Arizona and in their position what would it take? I think we would have to give up #21, Grigs, Big Z and next years 3rd. If I was the GM in Arizona I would take that in a min. You have a top 4 Dman instantly, a potential top 6 forward, a great prospect at 21 in a deep draft and then a freebie next year. 

If Arizona was going to trade the #3 pick it will obviously get them a hefty package in return. If you are a team like Arizona and in their position what would it take? I think we would have to give up #21, Grigs, Big Z and next years 3rd. If I was the GM in Arizona I would take that in a min. You have a top 4 Dman instantly, a potential top 6 forward, a great prospect at 21 in a deep draft and then a freebie next year. 

Pencilling in Zadorov as a top-4 D is a little premature. He looks promising, but hasn't proven anything yet.

And a minute later you'd be fired.

Change Grigs to Girgs and next year's third to Reinhart and they might do it. Edited by Randall Flagg

Y'alls' GMTM avatars are too similar, I keep quickly reading and assuming dejeanerret is Liger.

Agreed.  I thought Liger was actually arguing and insulting himself until I looked closer.

I must thank Wildcard for absolutely ensuring nobody would have an avatar similar to mine. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.