Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Not bad a-tall.  Turning Zemgus or Larsson, both of whom I think share the same ceiling -- i.e. solid #3C -- and are thus somewhat redundant, into a legit 26-year-old 2nd-pairing defenseman would be a pretty solid move.

I'll second that.

We are 3rd/4th line center rich and 2nd pairing d short. Minni is the opposite. 

Not bad a-tall.  Turning Zemgus or Larsson, both of whom I think share the same ceiling -- i.e. solid #3C -- and are thus somewhat redundant, into a legit 26-year-old 2nd-pairing defenseman would be a pretty solid move.

Particularly with Asplund being slotted into that role in the next two seasons

With all of the scouts at last nights game and Kane playing the way he did I can see teams jockeying for added impact scoring from a power forward sitting up and taking notice.

His contract, age and under the radar off ice since last summer all have added to his stock. If he'd take 5/5.5 mil at 4 or 5 years I keep him. I suspect however, he'll be looking for around 6 mil, even if only for 4 or 5 seasons. Every penny is going to count following next season with jack and Sam's new deals. While 500k to a mil per season doesn't seem that off setting, I suspect it will become critical down the road, in 4 to 5 years from now.

My final assessment on Kane:

Trading him for "the right" return (high caliber LHD for a Risto partner, or, subsequently an RHD OFD for McCabe's partner with an LW B+ near ready [20-22 yrs of age]) would be the ideal scenario.

Keeping him is a larger risk at this time in my opinion, especially given his climbing stock.

Either way this goes, one thing is absolutely a certainty at this point......this coming bye week is where it is all going to happen, if it does happen. Personally I see Franson, Kulikov and Gorges as possibly gone. Also looking at Girgensons and Ennis as possibly moved.

With all of the scouts at last nights game and Kane playing the way he did I can see teams jockeying for added impact scoring from a power forward sitting up and taking notice.

His contract, age and under the radar off ice since last summer all have added to his stock. If he'd take 5/5.5 mil at 4 or 5 years I keep him. I suspect however, he'll be looking for around 6 mil, even if only for 4 or 5 seasons. Every penny is going to count following next season with jack and Sam's new deals. While 500k to a mil per season doesn't seem that off setting, I suspect it will become critical down the road, in 4 to 5 years from now.

My final assessment on Kane:

Trading him for "the right" return (high caliber LHD for a Risto partner, or, subsequently an RHD OFD for McCabe's partner with an LW B+ near ready [20-22 yrs of age]) would be the ideal scenario.

Keeping him is a larger risk at this time in my opinion, especially given his climbing stock.

Either way this goes, one thing is absolutely a certainty at this point......this coming bye week is where it is all going to happen, if it does happen. Personally I see Franson, Kulikov and Gorges as possibly gone. Also looking at Girgensons and Ennis as possibly moved.

No one is going to trade for Ennis!

I think they are,” said NHL Insider Elliotte Friedman when asked the question Friday morning on Toronto’s Sportsnet 590. “I had a chance to speak to Jim Rutherford last week and he said, ‘Look, I’m willing to do whatever it takes to win, and I’ll deal with the fallout after the season is over.’

Friedman wonders about potential of Duchene deal with Avalanche

“So yes, I think they are in it to win again and really in it to win again. They do have some cap issues, although some guys come off their cap in the next couple of years – Kunitz comes off, Daley comes off, Hornqvist comes off – depending on what they want to do with these guys. So they have some flexibility to do some stuff.

“But yes, I do think you have to worry about the Penguins going out and adding big.”

http://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-see-penguins-adding-big-trade-deadline/

McKenzie on Galchenyuk, and how the Canadiens might move him because he's an RFA this summer and they may not want to commit to him the money he's going to want

http://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/mckenzie-explores-dynamics-galchenyuks-future-canadiens/

Edited by WildCard

I think Gio is gone at the deadline.  Not a GMTM type (big and fast) and could get us a good return for playoff team looking for leadership and heady play.  Since I don't think GMTM plans to re-sign him anyway, might as well get something for him.

I think Gus may go as well.  Larsson and ERod make him expendable.  Should bring us a 3-4 rounder.

Ennis and Moulson will be exposed in the Vegas draft.

Kane goes only for a top 4 defenseman AND a top prospect.   Otherwise, no deal.

I think Gio is gone at the deadline.  Not a GMTM type (big and fast) and could get us a good return for playoff team looking for leadership and heady play.  Since I don't think GMTM plans to re-sign him anyway, might as well get something for him.

I think Gus may go as well.  Larsson and ERod make him expendable.  Should bring us a 3-4 rounder.

Ennis and Moulson will be exposed in the Vegas draft.

Kane goes only for a top 4 defenseman AND a top prospect.   Otherwise, no deal.

Agree. Except wasn't it recently reported Gio is staying......

Agree. Except wasn't it recently reported Gio is staying......

Said he wants to stay.  I don't think GMTM is sentimental enough to keep him.  Baptiste takes his spot.  Give the C to ROR, A to Kyle and Risto. 

No way we're trading Gus for a 3rd or 4th rounder. We have enough draft picks, 3rd rounders become significant NHL players 10% of the time/4th rounders 5% and Gus was a 1st Rd pick. He might be traded forms prospect or a young dman, but for a 4th is ridiculous

Not ridiculous at all.  Ty Rattie was waived today and was the 32nd pick in 2011.  It happens.  Here's Z's stat line in a contract year:

Games Goals Assists Points +/-

53        6          7       13     -2 

How is that worth more that a 3-4 rounder?  I like Z, but he's played 255 NHL games.  He is what he is and there are others to take his place (Larrson, ERod).  We need to get something for him, and it's not going to be a 1-2 rounder, so a 3-4 rounder is realistic.

Edited by Tondas

Rumour out of MTL that Habs have interest in Kane. Would you trade him in a deal that landed Sergachev?

I know it's short term pain but for the long term.........

My knee jerk reaction was no, until I saw the name Sergachev.  Now I'm mulling.

No interest in trading Kane for a prospect unless we know he won't re-sign.

We are we trading Girgensons at all? At worst he's a solid fourth liner with upside.

And we've seen him play better than that. And he's not expensive.

If GMTM isn't a seller, maybe he gets included in a deal for a defenseman but that's all I can imagine. Edited by inkman

Rumour out of MTL that Habs have interest in Kane. Would you trade him in a deal that landed Sergachev?

I know it's short term pain but for the long term.........

I have no interest in Sergachev. Montour, Theodore, Juolevi, or Ghost for me Edited by WildCard

Putting these in here because they fit better than in the trade Kane thread.

Depends on your definition of top four, which I find that for most people means a top-50 defenceman or a prospect that could project to reach that level.

If that's what you mean, then I'd look for something like the Dougie Hamilton trade.

Flames got him for picks 15, 45 and 52. As it stands right now, we have picks 12, 42 and 59.

If you're OK with a semi-competent or competent veteran, they are often available at the draft for a 2nd-round pick or two, or equivalent prospect: Kulikov, Sekera, Regehr and Gorges are a few such deals the Sabres have been involved in.

Others to move recently in similar deals: Gudbranson, Kris Russell, Justin Schultz, Kevin Bieksa, Jeff Petry, Johnny Boychuk and Nick Leddy. Some of those deals obviously more successful than others, but they were all 2nd pairing or potential second pairing when traded.

Given a flat cap and expansion, there will be players available.

People always talk about Anaheim and Minnesota having too many defenceman going into expansion.

The Islanders have to protect Boychuk and they also have Leddy, Hamonic, Pulock, Dehaan and Hickey.

That's a team I would talk to.

Here is a list of defencemen, that could conceivably become available due to expansion/contract concerns:

Myers/Trouba, Orpik, Sbisa/Gudbranson/Edler, Koekkoek, Garrison, Coburn, Martin, Schlemko, Mueller, Daley, Schultz/Maatta/Doumoulin, Pouliot, Methot/Ceci, Klein, Holden, Hickey, Dehaan, Pulock, Ellis/Ekholm, Dumba, Scandella/Spurgeon/Brodin, McNabb/Forbort, Petrovic, Pysyk, Reinhart, Davidson, Hamhuis/Oleksiak, Jack Johnson, Tyutin, Weircoch, Wideman, Jokipakka, McQuaid, Morrow, Despres, Fowler/Vatanen, Manson.

Doesn't mean they will be available for trade, just that most will be exposed in the expansion draft and the others might be worth targeting because of cap and forward protection concerns.

I think there will be some creative deals made and it is definitely a buyers market.

What do you guys think of targeting Josh Manson from Anaheim?

As their fifth defenceman (because of Bieksa's NMC) they aren't going to be able to protect him in the expansion draft, even if they move one of the big guys.

And he would have to be very attractive to Vegas

With Theodore etc. on the way, he is replaceable for them.

And we can protect him instead of Bogosian.

If we offered an expansion-exempt winger like Baptiste/Bailey, is that a win/win?

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.