Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I remember a lot of folks on here were saying they'd never want a player like that on their team. I sure wish we could have traded for him when that suspension was going down.

I think yzerman kept the price to high for a trade. He knew what he had in Drouin.

Why not, as long as he comes cheaply. A 3rd or 2 3rds would be fine. His contract ends in 2 years anyway so his money won't be a problem in the future.

Agreed. This seems like the right kind of acquisition. High reward with little risk. He's off the books in two years and the cost in the trade should be low. I have a hard time understanding why this is a bad idea. 

What would be the point?  He's not going to put them over the top this year or next.  He's not known for leadership skills, and, even if he were, the Sabres have enough with Gionta and Gorges bringing the younger guys along. 

Yes, but I think it hinders efforts to improve other areas of the team to the point of nearly erasing my interest.

But the Sabres have something like $23MM in cap space, innit? It seems like the Rangers retaining $2.5MM for the next 2 years wouldn't be necessary to make the deal work -- esp because the Rangers would only trade Nash to create cap space.

But the Sabres have something like $23MM in cap space, innit? It seems like the Rangers retaining $2.5MM for the next 2 years wouldn't be necessary to make the deal work -- esp because the Rangers would only trade Nash to create cap space.

Yea, about $23 million once we bury Cal O'Reilly in Rochester. But we also only have 10 NHL forwards, 4 defensemen, and 1 goalie under contract. Just re-signing the RFAs is likely to eat about half of that. Then we still need 2 forwards, 1 Dman, and a backup goalie. Sure each one won't cost a ton, but could still be around $4 million or more between them. Add Nash's full $7.8 and things are tight. It's doable, I'm just not crazy about it, especially since Nash isn't exactly a risk-free addition.

As to the Rags' perspective, I guess I have a hard time seeing them able to offload the full contract. $5.8M is still a significant cap savings for them.

Did we know that the Edmonton Journal is reporting Bogosian ranks 55th in defenceman scoring in the NHL from 14-16?

Better than Ellis, Campbell, Niskanen, Ristolainen, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Matta, Reilly, Kronwall, Ekholm, Enstrom, Jones, Sekera and Fowler among others?

Are we sure he's not good enough to play on our second pair? Do we really want trade him just to move up four spots?

Edited by dudacek

Prob is if you keep him you have to protect him next year and end up losing mccabe. He can certainly play in our top 4 though

Why wouldn't you protect a 25-year-old second pairing defenceman?

You can protect Bogo, McCabe and Risto on D, more if you're OK with exposing Foligno and Larsson

Edited by dudacek

You can protect Bogo, McCabe and Risto on D, more if your OK with exposing Foligno and Larsson

I would be ok with this but Larsson will be a FA anyways wont he?

Did we know that the Edmonton Journal is reporting Bogosian ranks 55th in defenceman scoring in the NHL from 14-16?

Better than Ellis, Campbell, Niskanen, Ristolainen, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Matta, Reilly, Kronwall, Ekholm, Enstrom, Jones, Sekera and Fowler among others?

Are we sure he's not good enough to play on our second pair? Do we really want trade him just to move up four spots?

No and no, respectively. Though I am positive Bogo and McCabe are not a good enough 2nd pair for a Cup contender :)

Edit: My issue with Bogosian is that he's a mediocre-at-best 2nd pair defenseman who is paid to be a high end 2nd pair defenseman, or good running mate on the top pair, all while missing 20 games without fail. He's the 36th highest paid defenseman by cap hit. His offensive scoring metrics are in the 2nd pair range, but his defensive metrics are 3rd pair, as are his possession numbers (his even strength possession numbers have been worse than his teammates every single year of his career, so this isn't some sort of Buffalo phenomenon).

He brings some offense, but I don't think he brings enough of it to compensate for how bad he is defensively (he was 123rd in the league in GF% last season)...which is at least mildly amusing, since I'm pretty sure his reputation is the opposite of that (and I know for certain I've ripped his offense on numerous occasions). And for a team that is still brutally bad at 5v5 possession (which I am declaring victory on as a stat widely accepted to be hugely important), I think it's a really poor allocation of resources. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

You can protect Bogo, McCabe and Risto on D, more if your OK with exposing Foligno and Larsson

I like Bogo, and I am looking forward to seeing how he does this year with (presumably) good health to start the season following a full training camp with Bylsma and his defensive partner.

It will be interesting, though, to see whether GMTM takes a swing at Lindholm, Fowler, or another quality young defenseman in a sizeable trade. If so, that probably means he's not sold on either Bogo or McCabe or both ( since as noted above one of them would need to be exposed the following summer) .

I agree we won't win a cup with Bogo as our number two, and that he is paid about $1 million a year more than he should be.

What I have trouble with is the people who want to trade him in a deal that doesn't make our defence better.

We all agree our defence isn't good enough, or deep enough, so why the hell would we trade our second-best defenceman without bringing a better defenceman back? People fail to realize how few good NHL defenceman there are.

If we sign Risto for $6 and get Fowler or Brodin in a trade, then we will have $15 million invested in our top three, which should jump to $17 million when Fowler re-signs. That's not bad at all if Risto plays like a one.

If McCabe grows into a 3, that's when we move Fowler or Bogo.

Edited by dudacek

I agree we won't win a cup with Bogo as our number two, and that he is paid about $1 million a year more than he should be.

What I have trouble with is the people who want to trade him in a deal that doesn't make our defence better.

We all agree our defence isn't good enough, or deep enough, so why the hell would we trade our second-best defenceman without bringing a better defenceman back? People fail to realize how few good NHL defenceman there are.

If we sign Risto for $6 and get Fowler or Brodin in a trade, then we will have $15 million invested in our top three, which should jump to $17 million when Fowler re-signs. That's not bad at all if Risto plays like a one.

Well we wouldn't want to move Fowler, or Bogosian is our number two again :lol:

But I do look at a defence consisting of Ristolainen, Fowler, Bogosian, and McCabe and see it, with growth, as being a capable cup contending defence. The key is the add of a guy like Fowler, and obviously the growth of Risto and McCabe.

I see GMTM bringing in 1 LHD and 1-3 F in trade or free agency this off season. I really think he loves the wow factor so atleast one of the acquisitions will supply that. I can't wait personally.

I certainly hope so. I'm on record (Santa is NOT real! :P) as saying that I don't think we do anything between now and the draft besides pick at 8. And then some minor upgrades in FA.

I am, however, often wrong, so it'll probably be the opposite.

From Jim Matheson from the Edmonton Journal

• The Oilers have been on the Sabres for a long while to see if they can acquire defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen from them for a winger (Eberle has probably been pitched) but it’s a non-starter. Buffalo needs wingers, for sure, but Ristolainen is untouchable. Probably even for Hall because the Sabres already have a similar player in Evander Kane.

If the sabres do the 7 forward 3 dmen 1 goalie route, they would have to protect risto, Bogo (his NMC forces you to protect him) and whatever LHD we get via trade - Fowler etc. If we go the 8 skaters, 1 goalie (route) we can protect all 4 dmen, O'Reilly, Kane, a UFA (say stamkos for fun) and say Ennis or foligno.

If the sabres do the 7 forward 3 dmen 1 goalie route, they would have to protect risto, Bogo (his NMC forces you to protect him) and whatever LHD we get via trade - Fowler etc. If we go the 8 skaters, 1 goalie (route) we can protect all 4 dmen, O'Reilly, Kane, a UFA (say stamkos for fun) and say Ennis or foligno.

There's certain people around here you need to pay attention to, and Chz is pretty much the only one left.

Chz posted the other day that there is a clause in the CBA that states, traded players lose their NMC. You can read it yourself, off the  top of my head it's 11b, but find Chz's post to get the real number

Nice avatar

Edited by rakish

No and no, respectively. Though I am positive Bogo and McCabe are not a good enough 2nd pair for a Cup contender :)

Edit: My issue with Bogosian is that he's a mediocre-at-best 2nd pair defenseman

My disagreement with these statements is that by my eye test, he/they played really well the 2nd half of the season when Bogosian was healthy. To me also, many defensive mistakes are not done by the D but are team mistakes. Having so many young forwards (yes Eichel and Samson included) did not help the Dmen much despite the occasional wow play, and Bogosian in particular and Gorges to an extent get ZERO credit for playing with a partner that is still very young or in McCabe's case was playing in his first year in the NHL. Do these guys not have growing pains and development time still to come without blowing up their partners while doing so???

I do agree with dudacek in that getting rid of any of these guys without upgrading the positions is not very bright. This team still needs to grow because of its youth and why I struggle with signing Stamkos. Not that he wouldn't really help the team but are we at the stage yet that his skill set will help us or hinder us as he gets older. When this team is ready to fly, will he be too old to help lead the way.

• The Oilers have been on the Sabres for a long while to see if they can acquire defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen from them for a winger (Eberle has probably been pitched) but it’s a non-starter. Buffalo needs wingers, for sure, but Ristolainen is untouchable. Probably even for Hall because the Sabres already have a similar player in Evander Kane.

Only player I'd swap for is Hall. Even if that went down, I feel Edmonton is getting the better end of the deal. Risto is Buffalo's true number one defenseman. Plus, the Sabres defense is rather weak. Why make it worse? 

There's certain people around here you need to pay attention to, and Chz is pretty much the only one left.

Chz posted the other day that there is a clause in the CBA that states, traded players lose their NMC. You can read it yourself, off the top of my head it's 11b, but find Chz's post to get the real number

Nice avatar

While I agree Chz is one to listen to, I'd say there are a few others. However, according to what I've heard, the NHLPA has verified that Bogo does have a valid NMC.

Remember that time Edmonton drafted Darnell Nurse over Rasmus? Sucks to be them.

The only way I trade Rasmus to Edmonton is for a deal involving McDavid, otherwise we're losing out.

Remember that time Edmonton drafted Darnell Nurse over Rasmus? Sucks to be them.

The only way I trade Rasmus to Edmonton is for a deal involving McDavid, otherwise we're losing out.

^This. Risto is far more valuable to us than Hall is to Edmonton. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.