Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Haven't heard many rumors about him since the new GM took over in Ottawa, but what do you guys think about Mike Hoffman? He's an RFA, and if they can't get a deal done they could be looking to trade him. Thats a guy I'd love on Eichels wing. Not sure if he's been brought up on here before.

Haven't heard many rumors about him since the new GM took over in Ottawa, but what do you guys think about Mike Hoffman? He's an RFA, and if they can't get a deal done they could be looking to trade him. Thats a guy I'd love on Eichels wing. Not sure if he's been brought up on here before.

If we're adding a top-6 forward, he may be my preferred option. Really depends what we end up doing to address the blue line, since I don't think we have the ammo to pull off two major trades.

^

That's a name I recognize from these parts, but nowhere else.

FWIW, his #fancystats appear to be top-notch. Like, top-20 in the league last year.

March and April he was a hot name, but like I said, since the new GM its been quiet. The old regime didn't like him much (which I suppose could extend to GMTM), but no word from the new guy yet.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-ottawa-senators-edition-mike-hoffman/2016/04/13/

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/5/4/11518064/mike-hoffman-would-be-an-ideal-trade-target-for-the-devils

Thats a guy I consider sending my #8 for. He's young, not overly expensive, and a great fit. 30 goals with those Senators teams are no joke, with Eichhart he could get 35 or 40. 

Kinda sounds like Boucher likes him, though, so he might be off the market: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-hoffman-s-history-with-boucher-a--bonus--in-contract-talks-184314022.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If we're adding a top-6 forward, he may be my preferred option. Really depends what we end up doing to address the blue line, since I don't think we have the ammo to pull off two major trades.

Yeah, he's top of my list if he's available.

No way sending #8 for Hoffman.  He scores, which is important, but may be the leagues' worst defensive forward.  He could be had for less than #8, I would think

Got something to back that up? Not being critical, its just something I hadn't heard about him. His advanced stats look decent to me, but I'm an untrained eye.

No way sending #8 for Hoffman. He scores, which is important, but may be the leagues' worst defensive forward. He could be had for less than #8, I would think

He's not good defensively, but he's not that bad. His offense and possession more than make up for it though.

@JSB_FOX

Bob Murray said now he can get to business on players contracts - looking at Pens, it's about speed.

I don't know if that's her opinion, or he actually said that. If he did, I wonder what that means for his back end

It was Murray who said it. Which is funny, since he traded away Hagelin...

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Jeremy Rutherford from the St Louis Post Dispatch was on GR today and was talking about trade scenarios involving Kevin Shattenkirk. He mentioned one involving the Sabres that would have Buffalo trading 8th Overall to St Louis for Shattenkirk and 28th Overall. 

Jeremy Rutherford from the St Louis Post Dispatch was on GR today and was talking about trade scenarios involving Kevin Shattenkirk. He mentioned one involving the Sabres that would have Buffalo trading 8th Overall to St Louis for Shattenkirk and 28th Overall.

Sign me up

Unsure what I'd do with that, its very tempting and seems safe enough to pull off since we'd still have a 1st and enough other assets to move back up if we so wished too. But Shattenkirk would be a 3rd 5mil + RHD  It does give us a puck moving Dman however. 

If we make that trade though I'd be concerned about Bogosian's future since I can't see us tying up 18 mil + in cap on just RHDs with Risto around 6mil, Bogo at 5.25 and Shattenkirk likely making something similar.

Granted, Bogo was mentioned as being liked by Edmonton but aside Hall I'm really underwhelmed by our options aside from him and the 4th Overall. And value wise Bogo + 28 =s 4?? I guess it would be in theory possible based on contract status of Shattenkirk vs Bogosian but that still leaves us lacking a LHD. 

Unsure what I'd do with that, its very tempting and seems safe enough to pull off since we'd still have a 1st and enough other assets to move back up if we so wished too. But Shattenkirk would be a 3rd 5mil + RHD  It does give us a puck moving Dman however. 

That's only for next season. I believe he's FA after that and will be looking at six, seven million or more.

If we make that trade though I'd be concerned about Bogosian's future since I can't see us tying up 18 mil + in cap on just RHDs with Risto around 6mil, Bogo at 5.25 and Shattenkirk likely making something similar.

Granted, Bogo was mentioned as being liked by Edmonton but aside Hall I'm really underwhelmed by our options aside from him and the 4th Overall. And value wise Bogo + 28 =s 4?? I guess it would be in theory possible based on contract status of Shattenkirk vs Bogosian but that still leaves us lacking a LHD. 

In my mind, acquiring any of the big RHDs available necessitates trading Bogosian. Even for those who like him, you simply can't have that much cap space tied up in one side of your blue line.

In my mind, acquiring any of the big RHDs available necessitates trading Bogosian. Even for those who like him, you simply can't have that much cap space tied up in one side of your blue line.

This is truth.

Tell me, if we added Shattenkirk, would anyone entertain the idea of keeping Bogo and instead trading Risto for a similar level lefty, ie Lindholm?

I'm pretty firmly against trading Bogo, but if we could land Shattenkirk and 28 for 8 I would do that deal without question (just as well as I would do 8 for Anaheim's first and any of Fowler, Lindholm or Vatanen).

If we acquire a top-four righty then I would open up the talks on Bogosian. Maybe St. Louis would be interested as there would be controlled cost there but if not I'm sure there are plenty of teams interested.

I do wonder if there's a deal to be had centered around Bogo and pieces for Jordan Eberle. If we were to land 28 and Shattenkirk I would absolutely move Bogo, a 2nd and a prospect not named Bailey, Guhle or Petersen (any of them) for Eberle.

Whether we would have to give more depends largely on how much Edmonton likes Bogo. Or maybe we call Colorado and see if they're interested in Bogo+ for one of their forwards (Landeskog preferred but I have no idea how likely his move would be and we'd have to add a lot).

I would prefer just to get a lefty dman and keep Bogo for the second pairing, but I would prioritize a Shattenkirk over Bogo.

I'm pretty firmly against trading Bogo, but if we could land Shattenkirk and 28 for 8 I would do that deal without question (just as well as I would do 8 for Anaheim's first and any of Fowler, Lindholm or Vatanen).

If we acquire a top-four righty then I would open up the talks on Bogosian. Maybe St. Louis would be interested as there would be controlled cost there but if not I'm sure there are plenty of teams interested.

I do wonder if there's a deal to be had centered around Bogo and pieces for Jordan Eberle. If we were to land 28 and Shattenkirk I would absolutely move Bogo, a 2nd and a prospect not named Bailey, Guhle or Petersen (any of them) for Eberle.

Whether we would have to give more depends largely on how much Edmonton likes Bogo. Or maybe we call Colorado and see if they're interested in Bogo+ for one of their forwards (Landeskog preferred but I have no idea how likely his move would be and we'd have to add a lot).

I would prefer just to get a lefty dman and keep Bogo for the second pairing, but I would prioritize a Shattenkirk over Bogo.

I like and want to keep Bog but this argument sure as hell makes sense. Hoss sense if you will.

This is truth.

Tell me, if we added Shattenkirk, would anyone entertain the idea of keeping Bogo and instead trading Risto for a similar level lefty, ie Lindholm?

I think it's definitely an interesting scenario. I think the big question is what do people think of Risto compared to Lindolm? To me, a Lindolm-Shattenkirk top pair looks better than a Fowler/Goligoski/Yandle-Risto top pair. But how much better I'm not sure. I expect Lindolm to get paid more than Risto and Shattenkirk to get paid more than whoever we got to fill the LHD hole. Is the improvement worth the cost? Not sure I feel strongly one way or the other.

Shattenkirk is a great talent, but it's a little worrisome as he only has one year left on his deal. How much will he command? Murray would have to sign him to an an extension this summer.

As others have said, it would necessitate a deal for Bogosian, which would probably already be in place. But we still have a dearth at LHD. So we could trade Bogo for a forward, and sign a UFA LHD. Or trade Bogo for the LHD, and sign a UFA forward.

The board is set....the pieces are moving.

I think it's definitely an interesting scenario. I think the big question is what do people think of Risto compared to Lindolm? To me, a Lindolm-Shattenkirk top pair looks better than a Fowler/Goligoski/Yandle-Risto top pair. But how much better I'm not sure. I expect Lindolm to get paid more than Risto and Shattenkirk to get paid more than whoever we got to fill the LHD hole. Is the improvement worth the cost? Not sure I feel strongly one way or the other.

I think Risto's value is probably the highest of all of them though, due to being significantly younger than Shattenkirk. And I think he's a better talent than Lindholm.

Shattenkirk is a great talent, but it's a little worrisome as he only has one year left on his deal. How much will he command? Murray would have to sign him to an an extension this summer.

As others have said, it would necessitate a deal for Bogosian, which would probably already be in place. But we still have a dearth at LHD. So we could trade Bogo for a forward, and sign a UFA LHD. Or trade Bogo for the LHD, and sign a UFA forward.

The board is set....the pieces are moving.

Rutherford stated he is looking for around 6-6.5 Million. 

Also mentioned the Blues would not be able to take any large salaries back as they have 14 Million to sign seven players for next season and that re-signing Jaden Schwartz is the Blues number one priority. 

And the problem for trading Bogosian over to Colorado is we've already fleeced them, I don't think they're eager to come back. I was shocked when I heard Winnipeg was the first team Colorado was targeting to unload Barrie and Duchene. Wouldn't be surprised if St.Louis and them work out a deal either

It's only a problem if they feel fleeced. If they are still happy with Grigorenko, Zadorov and the promise of Compher then they'll gladly pick up the phone. I'm not saying they SHOULD feel happy with that but presumably they were pleased to get it in the first place and they can't possibly hate all of them in only a year.

Very true. Plus,they're still dumb enough to o unload Duchene and Barrie, so they've not learned their lesson

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.