Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

The gorilla in the room that not too many people talk about is the goalie situation. As big and imposing as Lehner is, so far in his NHL career he has been weak. I think TM is rolling the dice with this most important of positions to commit to Lehner who has never proven that he is an NHL starter with all his injuries and inconsistencies. Maybe he'll get on the right track but to commit to someone who has never proven anything, especially when he has someone solid already in net is a chance the Sabres cannot take. 

I wouldn't say we are committed to Lehner but I think he'll get a fair shot this season.  

From Frank Servalli

Difficult to handicap Caggiula sweepstakes, but sense is it's down to VAN or EDM. Believe PHI, CHI, PIT, NYR and OTT are all out. We'll see.

Not even a Buffalo mention?  I thought we were in the running?  Would rather Vesey anyways I guess.

From Frank Servalli

Difficult to handicap Caggiula sweepstakes, but sense is it's down to VAN or EDM. Believe PHI, CHI, PIT, NYR and OTT are all out. We'll see.

So he wants to go to either a team that is literally crapping the bed or a team that has more wingers than you can shake a stick at... seems logical. 

So he wants to go to either a team that is literally crapping the bed or a team that has more wingers than you can shake a stick at... seems logical. 

Yeah, this makes no sense.  Who would want to play in Vancouver right now?  And Edmonton?  He'll be in Bakersfield.

Yeah, this makes no sense.  Who would want to play in Vancouver right now?  And Edmonton?  He'll be in Bakersfield.

Maybe Edmonton told him he could play with McJesus?

But Vancouver? "Hey kid, wanna come play with the geriatric twins? Just be gentle on them in practice they might break a hip"

August 15th?

That is when he becomes a UFA. I would offer the Preds a pick to talk with him earlier. Maybe a sixth that becomes a third if he signs. With all these draft picks and the 50 contract limit, the Sabres cannot sign everyone anyways.

It's certainly a fair point -- none of these guys is likely to develop into a full-blown star NHLer.  But it's possible, and more broadly, the Sabres getting him -- a coveted player with plenty of options -- would be a nice indicator of their rising league status.

This is what I was hoping for.

Not even a Buffalo mention?  I thought we were in the running?  Would rather Vesey anyways I guess.

And with this, I would think we shouldn't get our hopes up for Vesey. I know, the Eichel connection, but it's difficult to win the roulette spin and August 15 is a ways away, anyways.

The gorilla in the room that not too many people talk about is the goalie situation. As big and imposing as Lehner is, so far in his NHL career he has been weak. I think TM is rolling the dice with this most important of positions to commit to Lehner who has never proven that he is an NHL starter with all his injuries and inconsistencies. Maybe he'll get on the right track but to commit to someone who has never proven anything, especially when he has someone solid already in net is a chance the Sabres cannot take.

So Johnson is the proven solid guy compared to Lehner, right?

Interesting takes on Lehner and Johnson. Why do you say that?

Numbers show two pretty similar careers.

NHL G 101, GAA 2.39, SP .917

NHL G 107, GAA 2.80, SP .916

Sabres G 45 GAA 2.36, SP .920

Sabres G 21, GAA 2.47, SP .924

Unrelated but on Hockey Hotline on Monday's edition:  Bored at work.  Andrew Peters brings up trading for Nash again, am I the only one that thinks this is a terrible idea.  Nash is a sunken ship and his contract is supremely weighted. Even if for two seasons.  I don't want $12.8M between he and Moulson.  Nash is a fine player, but I just don't see him rebounding to the 42 goal plateau gain.  Craig Rivet, must be thinking about the 27 year old Rick Nash.  I wouldn't give up a strong asset for him.  Rolls eyes. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.