Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

So the Sharks should tell him he's staying put.

They gave him a NMC for a reason (he earned it with his loyalty to them). He's not demanding a trade. The reports are that the Sharks are looking to shake it up and teams have been calling about Marleau.

He earned this power and is using it (if the report is true). Apparently the Rangers have been scouting them heavily, so maybe a deal is possible there.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/source-sharks-marleau-would-accept-trade-one-three-teams

Report: Marleau would only accept a trade to the Ducks, Kings or Rangers.

I like it. Doesn't directly affect us, and is a really exciting hockey trade. I hope they do it. Plus, everyone has seen the Sharks rebuild coming for at least a year now

I like it. Doesn't directly affect us, and is a really exciting hockey trade. I hope they do it. Plus, everyone has seen the Sharks rebuild coming for at least a year now

2 years late at this point. They should have sold off Marleu and Thornton already because they could have had Pavelski and Couture mentor the assets they got with those picks. Window closed and the Sharks are just chum in the water.

They gave him a NMC for a reason (he earned it with his loyalty to them). He's not demanding a trade. The reports are that the Sharks are looking to shake it up and teams have been calling about Marleau.

He earned this power and is using it (if the report is true). Apparently the Rangers have been scouting them heavily, so maybe a deal is possible there.

We are reading different reports.  What I'm reading suggests that it's coming from his agent.

We are reading different reports. What I'm reading suggests that it's coming from his agent.

I just re-read. Reports are saying they're not sure what's driving his market. I'm with you now. But I still stand by what I said. I'm fine with Marleau pushing for a deal if he wants it. A little foolish to demand a trade then restrict it to such a low number of teams (if that really is the case), but I understand it.

Could the Jackets start unloading talent in a month or two? I could see many teams interested, including Calgary for Bobrovsky

I don't see any reason for the Jackets to unload Bob, but I could see them considering some other players. Hartnell is a guy I could see teams trying to acquire, but he's under contract through 2019.

Lets say by march we are in a race for a playoff spot.  

San jose is out and marleau becomes available, just think he would be great addition on O'Reilly's LW.

Would cost us a bit though, but his relationship with Wilson has really soured.

From an off-season interview I recall Murray saying if we were contending for a playoff spot he wasn't going to trade assets for a veteran to push us over the edge to get there. He's planning long term and won't be giving up future stock for players in the twilight of their career.

Yeah I know murray wants to form a group in the same age range, still Marleau is an enticing asset if you want to make a cup in two years.

But that would make him a nice trade deadline deal in his last year with SJS.

wouldn't cost us 2017 1st + though.   but that would be his current price tag.

Edited by Huckleberry

Marleau is a good player but he was unable to lead a really good team to any playoff success.

Roenick threw him under the bus in the media. JR is a loudmouth but there could be some truth to his accusations.

Besides, Marleau is 36. Maybe put him on a line with Gio and Matty Mo. The Geezer Gang.

From an off-season interview I recall Murray saying if we were contending for a playoff spot he wasn't going to trade assets for a veteran to push us over the edge to get there. He's planning long term and won't be giving up future stock for players in the twilight of their career.

Yep.

He's put together a group that could be really coming into its own in a year or 2. No point to getting rid of some of that 1-2 year away future to get in this year.

If Claude Giroux, Wayne Simmonds or Sean Couturier are available I'm absolutely interested. Giroux would take a MONSTER deal, though (one I'd probably be willing to do).

Just taking a way-too-early at possible deadline deal candidates on expiring contracts... Some names I noticed that could be dealt if their teams slip by then or their team feels they won't re-sign:

Eric Staal (C/LW - CAR)

Brian Campbell (D - FLA)

Cam Ward (G - CAR)

Dustin Byfuglien (RHD - WPG)

Dan Hamhuis (LHD - VAN)

Shane Doan (RW - ARI)

Radim Vrbata (RW - VAN)

Jonas Hiller (G - CGY)

Teddy Purcell (LW - EDM)

Braydon Coburn (LHD - TBL)

Andrew Ladd (LW - WPG)

Loui Eriksson (RW - BOS)

Jiri Hudler (RW - CGY)

Mikkel Boedker (LW - ARI)

Luke Schenn (RHD - PHI)

Kyle Okposo (RW - NYI)

Frans Nielsen (LW - NYI)

There's a lot more. It's a pretty good list of guys on teams that either look bad or might need to make some tough decisions for cap reasons this year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/2016/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.