Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

No to FA, IIRC Murray said last FA he doesn't like going that way. And yes, there's hope for Fasching, Bailey, and Baptiste, but I'd rather have established talent. If the ROR trade taught me anything, it's established talent of luring potential. Only Fasching out of that trio has even close to the skill set Simmonds has, and that's all potential. Larsson is what he is, a very solid 3rd line player. Girgensons too, a great complimentary winger on the 1-2 lines and a great 3rd line center.

But none of them are Simmonds, and none of them come close IMO. Simmonds is the absolute perfect player in a playoffs series, and given Evander's health issues, having 2 of them wouldn't hurt. Even two healthy Kanes/Simmonds would just be a relentless combination

I get why Simmonds is a great fit now. I dont get being able to pay the price to get him.

I'm also not big on trading entry-level guys for 27-year-olds when the heart of our team is so young.

The big move comes in couple years, not now.

I hope Tim can be patient.

Does anybody really Schenn is an upgrade on Gorges?

We already made a trade for Simmonds at 24. His name is Evander. We don't have the pieces left to outbid others for Simmonds, assuming he was available.

Can we just be patient with the guys we got and see what they grow into?

Pretty sure our top four is Kane Ennis O'Reilly Eichel. Looking at ice time, the next two are Gionta and GIrgensons.

Girgs should improve, Eichel will improve. Reinhart is waiting in line to replace Gionta.

Not seeing the top six as a problem.

No to FA, IIRC Murray said last FA he doesn't like going that way. And yes, there's hope for Fasching, Bailey, and Baptiste, but I'd rather have established talent. If the ROR trade taught me anything, it's established talent of luring potential. Only Fasching out of that trio has even close to the skill set Simmonds has, and that's all potential. Larsson is what he is, a very solid 3rd line player. Girgensons too, a great complimentary winger on the 1-2 lines and a great 3rd line center.

But none of them are Simmonds, and none of them come close IMO. Simmonds is the absolute perfect player in a playoffs series, and given Evander's health issues, having 2 of them wouldn't hurt. Even two healthy Kanes/Simmonds would just be a relentless combination

No thanks on Schenn.

As for Simmonds -- he would be a great addition, and at a position of need to boot.

I think smart teams/GMs get in the mix when really good players pop loose, which just might be the case here.

However, I don't think Philly will be dumb enough to panic and trade Simmonds -- he's a really good player on a good contract.  If they do, there will be plenty of bidders.  I don't think I'd want to pay what it would cost to win that auction (despite Liger's unbridled optimism).

No thanks on Schenn.

As for Simmonds -- he would be a great addition, and at a position of need to boot.

I think smart teams/GMs get in the mix when really good players pop loose, which just might be the case here.

However, I don't think Philly will be dumb enough to panic and trade Simmonds -- he's a really good player on a good contract.  If they do, there will be plenty of bidders.  I don't think I'd want to pay what it would cost to win that auction (despite Liger's unbridled optimism).

Can we just go back in time and draft Teravainen instead of Grigorenko? :D  Or Saad for that matter lmao.

Edited by TheCerebral1

Agreed nfreeman, great GMs take advantage of situations like the one Philadelphia is in. 

Also, I don't get he deal with Simmonds being 27. If he was 2 years younger people would be on board, does 2 years really make that big of a difference? He'll still be in his prime. Not everyone on the team needs to be so young. 

A realistic price for Simmonds, IMO, would be something like

Simmonds, mid-level player/prospect <=> Girgensons, 2017 1st, high-level prospect, mid-level prospect/pick <=> Girgensons, McCabe, 3rd/2nd round pick

FWIW

(Oct 18th) Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe: Despite moving between the Flyers second and third lines, and playing under nine minutes in a game against the Panthers last week,Wayne Simmonds and his under $4 million cap hit through 2019 is not someone GM Ron Hextall would be quick to move even though they’d like to shed some salary.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/tag/wayne-simmonds/

Edited by WildCard

we literally have no LHD so trading one for a 27yr old winger is just not an idea I want to see ever see happen.

Okay, replace him with Pysyk then

The talk on Duchene to Ottawa seems hot this morning. I don't see anybody saying it's done or close, but it's being discussed.

I have to think Colorado would want one of Stone/Hoffman plus a dman (Ceci, Cowen or Methot) and a prospect.

Lazar untouchable? 

I wouldn't do it for Zemgus and McCabe -- that's too expensive.

I also don't think Philly will be interested in a 2017 1st-rounder -- that's a player who's a solid 4 years from playing in the NHL.

Frankly I'm not sure there's a deal that Philly would accept that I could live with.  Zemgus has been disappointing this year but I'd still be reluctant to trade him for Simmonds.  I'd guess Philly will want a good defenseman, but I'm only trading McCabe or Risto for a no-BS star player -- i.e. someone one or 2 notches better than Simmonds.

EDIT:  I'd send them Pysyk plus something else, but probably not Pysyk plus Zemgus.

Does anybody really Schenn is an upgrade on Gorges?

We already made a trade for Simmonds at 24. His name is Evander. We don't have the pieces left to outbid others for Simmonds, assuming he was available.

Can we just be patient with the guys we got and see what they grow into?

Pretty sure our top four is Kane Ennis O'Reilly Eichel. Looking at ice time, the next two are Gionta and GIrgensons.

Girgs should improve, Eichel will improve. Reinhart is waiting in line to replace Gionta.

Not seeing the top six as a problem.

Even after that is all I'm saying.  I just haven't been impressed with Moulson at all this season.  He's playing up to his ability and the chances have been there.  I'm being greedy.  :D

The prospect pool at defense is paper thin... there is Ghule and Martin.  Outside of that I don't see anyone with the possibility of making the team.

Making this tricky Liger. The Flyers need defense, and young defense. I doubt Guhle is going to get them going

We need defense and young defense.  There is no depth on defense if one of the young guys goes down.

I love Simmonds, I want to fill the hole at RW...but I'm no longer willing to trade from the back end to do it. I think our forwards as assembled are enough to go on a deep run once Eichel and Reinhart have a year or two under their belts. And no, I don't think Simmonds moves that timeline up. I can't say the same for the blue line, which despite playing above my expectations, is still an issue. Not willing to weaken it with a trade.

If we're to target Simmonds, it has to come from the forward ranks. Ennis. Similar contracts, similar production, close in age, just play different games.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I wouldn't do it for Zemgus and McCabe -- that's too expensive.

I also don't think Philly will be interested in a 2017 1st-rounder -- that's a player who's a solid 4 years from playing in the NHL.

Frankly I'm not sure there's a deal that Philly would accept that I could live with.  Zemgus has been disappointing this year but I'd still be reluctant to trade him for Simmonds.  I'd guess Philly will want a good defenseman, but I'm only trading McCabe or Risto for a no-BS star player -- i.e. someone one or 2 notches better than Simmonds.

EDIT:  I'd send them Pysyk plus something else, but probably not Pysyk plus Zemgus.

Zemgus is moving if this trade happens, and I'm completely ok with that swap. 

I'm not sure why Philadelphia wouldn't be interested in draft picks, they seem to be teetering on the edge of rebuilding. Grioux, Voracek, and Simmonds are all young and can compete, but they're still a bad team that can't score even with all that talent. Something's gotta change there, and they either go for it now while Grioux is young, or cash out while they still can. Honestly, I'm not sure which way they go, but if I'm them I cash out.

I love Simmonds, I want to fill the hole at RW...but I'm no longer willing to trade from the back end to do it. I think our forwards as assembled are enough to go on a deep run once Eichel and Reinhart have a year or two under their belts. And no, I don't think Simmonds moves that timeline up. I can't say the same for the blue line, which despite playing above my expectations, is still an issue. Not willing to weaken it with a trade.

If we're to target Simmonds, it has to come from the forward ranks. Ennis. Similar contracts, similar production, close in age, just play different games.

Care to address the state of the Flyers I posted above? Do you think they're in rebuild or do you think they want to go for it?

The prospect pool at defense is paper thin... there is Ghule and Martin.  Outside of that I don't see anyone with the possibility of making the team.

We need defense and young defense.  There is no depth on defense if one of the young guys goes down.

I just don't see anything else to give them besides more picks to supplant a defenseman. 

Zemgus is moving if this trade happens, and I'm completely ok with that swap.

I'm not sure why Philadelphia wouldn't be interested in draft picks, they seem to be teetering on the edge of rebuilding. Grioux, Voracek, and Simmonds are all young and can compete, but they're still a bad team that can't score even with all that talent. Something's gotta change there, and they either go for it now while Grioux is young, or cash out while they still can. Honestly, I'm not sure which way they go, but if I'm them I cash out.

Care to address the state of the Flyers I posted above? Do you think they're in rebuild or do you think they want to go for it?

I just don't see anything else to give them besides more picks to supplant a defenseman.

I don't think any team with a couple of core stars in their 20s, even if upper 20s, will ever have the stones to blow it up. I also don't think Snider would allow it. They're going to continue to re-tool on the fly and hope they can hit on the right combo.

I don't think any team with a couple of core stars in their 20s, even if upper 20s, will ever have the stones to blow it up. I also don't think Snider would allow it. They're going to continue to re-tool on the fly and hope they can hit on the right combo.

*Looks over at the Avalanche*

*Looks over at the Avalanche*

Touche! :lol:

The difference, of course, is it appears Hextall may know what he's doing, whereas Sakic and Roy are clueless.

That team is such a mess. Let's say they trade Duchene...how can any management team, over the course of three consecutive seasons, let Stastny walk in UFA, trade O'Reilly for spare parts, and trade Duchene. Those are three top-6 centers in a league that doesn't have enough centers! If that doesn't get them all fired, nothing will.

Totally agree regarding the Flyers not blowing it up.

Touche! :lol:

The difference, of course, is it appears Hextall may know what he's doing, whereas Sakic and Roy are clueless.

That team is such a mess. Let's say they trade Duchene...how can any management team, over the course of three consecutive seasons, let Stastny walk in UFA, trade O'Reilly for spare parts, and trade Duchene. Those are three top-6 centers in a league that doesn't have enough centers! If that doesn't get them all fired, nothing will.

Something, something, Darcy, something

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.