Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

Excellent stuff, Chz....

This linked from there ........

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=456031

I love this little blog .......ACTM's home plate:

By defending these five areas....you can limit grade A scoring chances. 

ice_circles.jpg

HOME PLATE

That focus on defense that Murray has spoken at length about was evident not only in the players performance, but on the ice…literally. Murray and staff have painted five circles in the shape of home plate on the practice ice. 

“We focused on the defensive end, what I call home plate” Murray said of the five black spots in front of the goalmouth. “That is the mindset of what the players have to have. Taking care of home plate and eliminating some of those grade one scoring chances is a priority and that was focus today. 

“The dots are a reference point. When the puck is coming into your defensive zone, it is what I call home plate positioning. The prime scoring area is right there in front of the net below the hash marks, that is where we have to be defending.”

I like it! Legit defensive zone strategy and practicing.

I love though if you scroll through the full article, it talks about the new rookie in prospect camp, Drew Doughty 

Yes, it's his board. One I'm thankful to be a part of. Opinion I posted last night, deleted this morning, mainly spoke of how action reflects leadership. To keep things as orderly as possible the people in charge of things should try to lead by example. And majority of the time that is practiced. There is no reason to get in a 7th grade level argument w/ any member on this board. That really goes for everyone. Let me add this board is leap years ahead, once again an opinion I have, of countless others. People here on Sabrespace tend to understand respect. Simply learn it. Earn it. Show It. Have to lead by example. 

Shouldn't we wait to see if PA was even offended by the post (I really doubt it) before we start a culture change. I thought it was light hearted and funny and didn't really mean anything. People need to lighten up.

Nfreeman, I welcome any and all digs thrown my way. They usually lead to good discussion.

Shouldn't we wait to see if PA was even offended by the post (I really doubt it) before we start a culture change. I thought it was light hearted and funny and didn't really mean anything. People need to lighten up.

Nfreeman, I welcome any and all digs thrown my way. They usually lead to good discussion.

I wasn't citing that particular post. It's just been a here and there type of thing. Posts can easily be misinterpreted. One of the disadvantages of talking/debating on a message board is just that. Not seeing facial expressions or hearing tone of voice can have a person thinking the complete opposite of what a post truly said. My concern is that fact there have been posts equivalent to a playground argument. Again, when compared to other message boards Sabrespace feels very comfortable and mature. It is a great place to talk/debate all kinds of topics. 

Angry Beerme1 isn't as fun to read as Angry Eleven.

Wasn't angry or childish. Just pointed out something that rubbed me the wrong way. That's all.

Back on topic though, the home plate thing, does that seem like a D just collapsing in front of the net?

Wasn't angry or childish. Just pointed out something that rubbed me the wrong way. That's all.

Back on topic though, the home plate thing, does that seem like a D just collapsing in front of the net?

That can't be what Murray means, having five players occupy those five spots on the ice.  That would be insanely ineffective, and maybe dangerous.  I think he just means that the dots describe an area where he wants extra care.

See this quote from the link:  “The dots are a reference point. When the puck is coming into your defensive zone, it is what I call home plate positioning. The prime scoring area is right there in front of the net below the hash marks, that is where we have to be defending.”

That can't be what Murray means, having five players occupy those five spots on the ice.  That would be insanely ineffective, and maybe dangerous.  I think he just means that the dots describe an area where he wants extra care.

See this quote from the link:  “The dots are a reference point. When the puck is coming into your defensive zone, it is what I call home plate positioning. The prime scoring area is right there in front of the net below the hash marks, that is where we have to be defending.”

Basically preventing your opponent from gaining position and denying shots in those areas.

Likewise, LAs teams worked like mad to win position and take shots in those areas on offense.

Basically preventing your opponent from gaining position and denying shots in those areas.

Likewise, LAs teams worked like mad to win position and take shots in those areas on offense.

This is why expanding the ice surface is not going to increase scoring.

This is why expanding the ice surface is not going to increase scoring.

Yep. Adding more junk ice does the opposite of what most people expect. That's exactly where you want the other team - skating around the perimeter.

Yep. Adding more junk ice does the opposite of what most people expect. That's exactly where you want the other team - skating around the perimeter.

Good point. This is what CBS Sports had to say about it. Widening the ice probably would not increase scoring. 

"The misnomer is that since there is more ice to play on, there is more room to create and space to make passes. The flip side, though, is that play along the boards is that much further from the net and keeping teams to the outside results in sharper-angle shots from longer distances."

Edited by Thanes16

Or just call interference.

True. Given Bettman's end of the year address on the state of the league, saying how our play has never been better and we can see that in the parity of the league, and the Cup's rating being so high, I doubt they change much. There was one game in the Cup Finals where they called 3 penalties on one team alone in the first period, but after that it just went out the window. 

No. It's not.

There almost is no other solution. Widening the rinks will do jack for scoring. Plus, if the rinks were widened the NHL would have to increase prices for the remain seats. That would include the upper level seats. Simple fix is to call the penalties in the rule book. 

Edited by Thanes16

That's bs and you know it.

We have approximately one and a half years of the NHL calling the rules properly since the lockout, and 8 years of them ignoring their own rules. Thinking the league is even remotely interested in calling the penalties again is just living in a fairytale.

There almost is no other solution. Widening the rinks will do jack for scoring. Plus, if the rinks were widened the NHL would have to increase prices for the remain seats. That would include the upper level seats. Simple fix is to call the penalties in the rule book.

We all agree calling the penalties again would work. But it doesn't matter because it's not going to happen.

We have approximately one and a half years of the NHL calling the rules properly since the lockout, and 8 years of them ignoring their own rules. Thinking the league is even remotely interested in calling the penalties again is just living in a fairytale.

We all agree calling the penalties again would work. But it doesn't matter because it's not going to happen.

Then stop asking for more scoring. Because you're not going to get it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.