Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

@SWhyno: Hextall says Terry Murray wanted to finish coaching career in NHL. Once Flyers/Hakstol decided status quo, #Sabres got permission, hired him

With the LA Bloggers heaping praise on him, I am glad they did not promote him

I really mean what I said by calling him "A Rock" in poker.  He was calculated, unemotional, and somewhat conservative. But his teams were really good at what they did. I loved how he used developed his defense and the defensive game in general. He got a lot of mileage out of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks that LA developed internally:

Simmonds, Martinez, Clifford. etc. 

Besides....as much as the recent press about Tampa being the model.  GMTM's model is LA. He's said it more than once. LA. 

I'm still waiting for someone to show me an example of something PA has said to have been actually proven to not be true. I guess it's just easier to throw barbs.

Although I find it in bad taste to talk about a member without him present.

Are we left to prove to you Mr. Swamp that unicorns don't exist? :)  :P

I don't think it's hate at all. I just think people tend to get tired of the exact same axe being ground in different ways in numerous threads. It's the message board equivalent of the boy who cried wolf.

We all do it though.  Every one of us.  Look at your rep as a guy constantly beating the analytics drum.  It shows up in a ton of your hockey related posts.  I'm sure I have a rep for what I constantly bring up.  There are lots of other examples if we were to start calling folks out.  His posts focus mostly on the negative.  Some folks are inclined to not speak much of what they think is right, so they talk mostly about what they think is wrong.  Doesn't make their outlook overly negative, although it may come across that way.

We all do it though.  Every one of us.  Look at your rep as a guy constantly beating the analytics drum.  It shows up in a ton of your hockey related posts.  I'm sure I have a rep for what I constantly bring up.  There are lots of other examples if we were to start calling folks out.  His posts focus mostly on the negative.  Some folks are inclined to not speak much of what they think is right, so they talk mostly about what they think is wrong.  Doesn't make their outlook overly negative, although it may come across that way.

And therein lies the problem--he comes off as Eeyore, especially for newer posters. 

And therein lies the problem--he comes off as Eeyore, especially for newer posters. 

Sure.  But the problem isn't his.  It's yours.  (not you specifically, you globally.  It's your perception afterall)  ((OK, that second your would be specific  :P ))

One more thing about PA's call on T Pegula being meddlesome: I just read something (at RotoWorld, I think) this morning indicating that it's hardly even a secret at OBD that Pegula intervened to save F-Jax's roster spot this spring. That is a level of owner-involvement that I would not have contemplated when we were first debating the issue in the "Trial of Terry ..." thread.

I really mean what I said by calling him "A Rock" in poker.  He was calculated, unemotional, and somewhat conservative. But his teams were really good at what they did. I loved how he used developed his defense and the defensive game in general. He got a lot of mileage out of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks that LA developed internally:

Simmonds, Martinez, Clifford. etc. 

Besides....as much as the recent press about Tampa being the model.  GMTM's model is LA. He's said it more than once. LA. 

that is some good sh!t right there. /excited

Where the hell are PA and GoDD anyways?

Lurking, I should think -- whether visibly or not.

Personally I can't stand PA. That's me and I'm entitled to my opinion. But I think as a mod, blatantly trolling someone is kinda whack.

Even if I cant stand him and his endless conspiracy crap and find it annoying drivel. I'm sure he sees me in the same light and that's alright. We cant all get along.

In other words it would be fine for me to do it, but a mod? Not cool in my book. That's all I'm sayin.

Whoa there. 

First, I don't think it's OK to say "I don't like [Poster X]."  In addition to being fairly juvenile, it's also pretty hostile and unfriendly.  We're trying to have a respectful and pleasant atmosphere around here.

Second, my intention was not to troll PA.  Although my last sentence certainly made a joke at his expense, I intended it as more of a bit of teasing than trolling.  In fact I was giving him credit, as I was pointing out that I have some concerns about what seems like an unusual situation and that it could fit in with PA's often-expressed view of TP and the Sabres' hierarchy.

Excellent stuff, Chz....

This linked from there ........

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=456031

I love this little blog .......ACTM's home plate:

By defending these five areas....you can limit grade A scoring chances. 

ice_circles.jpg

HOME PLATE

That focus on defense that Murray has spoken at length about was evident not only in the players performance, but on the ice…literally. Murray and staff have painted five circles in the shape of home plate on the practice ice. 

“We focused on the defensive end, what I call home plate” Murray said of the five black spots in front of the goalmouth. “That is the mindset of what the players have to have. Taking care of home plate and eliminating some of those grade one scoring chances is a priority and that was focus today. 

“The dots are a reference point. When the puck is coming into your defensive zone, it is what I call home plate positioning. The prime scoring area is right there in front of the net below the hash marks, that is where we have to be defending.”

Whoa there. 

First, I don't think it's OK to say "I don't like [Poster X]."  In addition to being fairly juvenile, it's also pretty hostile and unfriendly.  We're trying to have a respectful and pleasant atmosphere around here.

Second, my intention was not to troll PA.  Although my last sentence certainly made a joke at his expense, I intended it as more of a bit of teasing than trolling.  In fact I was giving him credit, as I was pointing out that I have some concerns about what seems like an unusual situation and that it could fit in with PA's often-expressed view of TP and the Sabres' hierarchy.

OK if it's juvenile, it's juvenile but my cards are on the table so as to avoid any confusion. Scott can say I'm wrong and you can too. As a poster though, I didn't like what I perceived to be trolling as necessary. We're all big boys here though and by my comments you can tell I wouldn't go out of my way to stick up for him. But as a poster, coming from a mod, I found it unnecessary.

Moving on now.

Thank you

Excellent stuff, Chz....

ice_circles.jpg

HOME PLATE

That focus on defense that Murray has spoken at length about was evident not only in the players performance, but on the ice…literally. Murray and staff have painted five circles in the shape of home plate on the practice ice. 

“We focused on the defensive end, what I call home plate” Murray said of the five black spots in front of the goalmouth. “That is the mindset of what the players have to have. Taking care of home plate and eliminating some of those grade one scoring chances is a priority and that was focus today. 

“The dots are a reference point. When the puck is coming into your defensive zone, it is what I call home plate positioning. The prime scoring area is right there in front of the net below the hash marks, that is where we have to be defending.”

This made me think happy thoughts.

as a very new poster, (but long time lurker), i disagree. although i almost universally disagree with his opinion ,(and in fact, he often gets my dander up), his voice is one of the reasons i keep coming back here. without posters like him the discourse here would be far more diluted... I feel the same way about many of you....regardless if i agree with you or not

Why are we telling SDS how to run his board?

Good freaking question.

Good questions and I feel somewhat responsible and apologize and as I previously said, moving on.

So what about this Barr guy? I am solid with Terry Murray but do not have the same knowledge of Barr.

Somebody speak up and account for him. On blind faith based on all that is right that is happening for us I will have to assume this is great hire. But I don't know that. I do know the Murray brothers are both great hires.

Barr was a good journeyman Mike Grier type of hockey player.

Had good success as a junior head coach in Guelph 10 years ago.

Joined the NHL as part of Granato's staff in Colorado, then went to Todd Richards team in Minnesota and Pete DeBoer's staff in NJ, getting fired each time along with his bosses and quickly finding work elsewhere.

Special teams guy.

NJ's PK led the league in 2013. PP in the top 10 the past two years.

Edited by dudacek

Excellent dudacek! One of us speaking up for him. That plus stats provided by you encourages me to start making Sabres zubas!

We are about to embark on a wild journey.

Everyone here on board?

Excellent stuff, Chz....

ice_circles.jpg

HOME PLATE

Going to be nice to see a defense actually coached to play defense, instead of hearing....."we have to work harder" after every loss.

Why are we telling SDS how to run his board?

Yes, it's his board. One I'm thankful to be a part of. Opinion I posted last night, deleted this morning, mainly spoke of how action reflects leadership. To keep things as orderly as possible the people in charge of things should try to lead by example. And majority of the time that is practiced. There is no reason to get in a 7th grade level argument w/ any member on this board. That really goes for everyone. Let me add this board is light years ahead, once again an opinion I have, of countless others. People here on Sabrespace tend to understand respect. Simply learn it. Earn it. Show It. Have to lead by example. 

Edited by Thanes16

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.