All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

Sabres-related notes from the Babcock presser:

-He praised the Pegulas multiple times

-He reassured the media that he and Tim Murray are good friends

-The Sabres offered more according to him

-Shanahan took multiple shots at Buffalo, saying that if he chose Buffalo they wouldn't attack Babcock's character

-He said that he couldn't make it worth with his family in Buffalo which makes me think he was settled on coming to Buffalo but his family wasn't

What a shocker!  His family was a significant factor, despite the FNG confidently assuring us to the contrary.

(And PA -- that is not a shot at an FNG due to his being an FNG or to his expression of contrary views.)

Aren't NHL coaching contracts guaranteed? i.e. Ted Nolan is getting paid his 3 year deal. 

If so, I don't think that Babcock would give a ######

I think he would care quite a great deal. Sure he gets paid, but he would suddenly go from superstar hotshot to yet another big name coach who failed in Toronto.

It isn't like the Laughs haven't tried this route before (big name HC)

I think he would care quite a great deal. Sure he gets paid, but he would suddenly go from superstar hotshot to yet another big name coach who failed in Toronto.

It isn't like the Laughs haven't tried this route before (big name HC)

Do you think his potential failing in Toronto (if that happens) would take away from his reputation? for example, would he be replaced as Team Canada's national team coach? I think not.

Seriously, it's comical but also maddening that every new poster who doesn't tow the party line or shows any kind of personality or spunk has to be pounced upon. It's almost reflexive. It always brings out a moderator or even SDS. It's bizarre. We want new posters, right? eman has strong opinions, which is great. There's no trolling going on.

Is this a message board or eighth grade homeroom when the new kid walks in mid-year?

Spot on. It's difficult entering this forum. Not that there isn't a learning curve in understanding how to debate and post, but it does seem people jump on you if you have 1k posts or less. Let's not pretend you(everyone) don't look at a new poster's post count when you read their posts

Edited by WildCard

But would the Toronto press if it had played out the same way? That's the question.

Shanahan's comment was likely aimed at the reports that somebody within the Sabres organization is livid with how Babs handled this.

Do you think his potential failing in Toronto (if that happens) would take away from his reputation? for example, would he be replaced as Team Canada's national team coach? I think not.

Maybe not but right now he's the man. After a few years of medicore teams and the fans getting restless, things can change. Babcock wasn't always the man and there are always up and coming coaches ready to take your place. It happens all the time in sports, especially since he has 1 cup. He isn't someone like Phil Jackson or Bill Belichick with a handful of league titles to fall back on.

Look at Mike Shanahan, who has two Super Bowl rings. He WAS a legendary NFL coach just 5 years ago, and the Bills were offering him the moon and stars, maybe even a % of the team to take the HC gig. Other NFL teams were falling over themselves offering him anything he wanted. Money, power, control.

He chose Washington because he wanted to "solidify his place in the Hall of Fame." It was the best chance to win big in a big market. Plus, he even mentioned that his family wouldn't want to come to Buffalo. Washington gave him ENORMOUS money and all the power he wanted. In short, he was a big f-ing deal in America's biggest sport.

Fast forward 5 years to today. He is out of work, and no NFL team seriously considered taking him on. The Bills brought him in after Marrone quit, heard him out, and said "thanks for your time but no thanks." He had a few other interviews but nobody really was that interested in him. In short, he's pretty much finished.

Keep in mind that Shanahan actually made the playoffs with Washington during his time there. But he didn't seal the deal, or even get that close. That's all anyone remembers now.

The stench of failure on a big stage is a LOT to overcome.

I hope Babcock fails as spectacularly in the NHL as Shanahan did in the NFL and ends up 5 years from now getting passed over by the Florida Panthers and Arizona Coyotes for HC gigs.

He will still have his tens of millions to count and can probably live on his past glories and coach Team Canada every 4 years.

Spot on. It's difficult entering this forum. Not that there isn't a learning curve in understanding how to debate and post, but it does seem people jump on you if you have 1k posts or less. Let's not pretend you don't look at a new poster's post count when you read their posts

I don't look. Especially with the name changes this season.

In this case, Mr. eman takes the Phil Spector-esque "wall of text" posting format that, which automatically discounts the post. I know that's petty but I'm a lazy reader and this is supposed to be fun. Then, there's factual errors: something about Eichel re-entering the draft next year and being angry at math (20% chance at McDavid) to start. And last, when these things are pointed out, the poster gets cranky that we're picking on him. We're not up to "FIRE LINDY RUFF NOW" levels, but it's on the spectrum.

Let's face it, new posters come in blazing all the time. The fall into three categories: when you point out "culture" issues, they roll with it and become "members"; they take the Tank4GM path and stay cranky for awhile but show real promise and become (grudgingly :)) respected members; or they flame out and disappear. I'm hoping eman takes one of the former two paths, new voices are good.

Honestly this is a great first step in the bringing us all together again process.

Hiring a solid HC will be #2.

Drafting Eichel will be step #3

This season is going to be a LOT of fun! No more constant fights between the pro and anti tank crowds.

Can you imagine an eventual playoff series between Toronto and Buffalo in the next few seasons? Incredible!

What a shocker!  His family was a significant factor, despite the FNG confidently assuring us to the contrary.

#Ancillary

Shanahan wouldn't have attacked Babcock's character if Babcock chose Buffalo.

Because ... because Babcock hadn't said things to Shanahan that gave Shanahan a warm fuzzy feeling in his tum-tum and made him clap his hands together very excited like and say "Zoowee, Mama - Coach Mike is going to coach our team!"

Sabres-related notes from the Babcock presser:

-He praised the Pegulas multiple times

-He reassured the media that he and Tim Murray are good friends

-The Sabres offered more according to him

-Shanahan took multiple shots at Buffalo, saying that if he chose Buffalo they wouldn't attack Babcock's character

-He said that he couldn't make it worth with his family in Buffalo which makes me think he was settled on coming to Buffalo but his family wasn't

My take is that after a lot things balanced out between Toronto and Buffalo two factors became foremost in Babcock's mind:

1) the challenge of the new gig

2) where he and Mrs. Babcock were going to live their empty nest years

Making Toronto relevant again while Mrs. Babcock enjoyed life in a downtown Toronto condo won out.

No insult or shadiness there. Just free agency at work.

Reading between the lines, I think he was leaning slightly to Buffalo and probably gave Murray and the Pegulas that impression.

But during their last heart-to-heart his wife preferred Toronto and that was why he circled back to the Leafs.

Edited by dudacek

Spot on. It's difficult entering this forum. Not that there isn't a learning curve in understanding how to debate and post, but it does seem people jump on you if you have 1k posts or less. Let's not pretend you(everyone) don't look at a new poster's post count when you read their posts

FWIW, I look at the content of a post, then I look at who posted it.  If it's a run-on paragraph or epic essay even with proper formatting; if the point is uninformed or poorly reasoned; if the thinking is just stupid right off the bat; if the insults, ego, elitism, and/or superiority complex manifest within the first couple of sentences; if there is a lack of respect for the forum and its culture; then I feel the person needs to be responded to personally and regardless of their point the post is tainted and the point is lost.

This forum is one of the best on the internet for anything in terms of its culture and is worth policing and protecting by its members.  We don't need, or shouldn't allow, someone to come in here thinking they can be the new sheriff of a one-horse town, and that all of the locals are yokels who need some teachin'.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

#Ancillary

Because ... because Babcock hadn't said things to Shanahan that gave Shanahan a warm fuzzy feeling in his tum-tum and made him clap his hands together very excited like and say "Zoowee, Mama - Coach Mike is going to coach our team!"

The warm fuzzy feeling in his tum-tum turned out to be the Fiery Habañero Doritos Battista got him.

The "family" angle is PR 101 and most of the time holds little-to-no weight in my experience.

Whenever anyone in my profession makes a move it is because of "family"... whenever they turn down an offer it is because of "family"... whenever anyone retires it is to spend more time with "family."

Politically, "family" is a universally accepted out for just about any uncomfortable situation.  The truth is often something very different.

The "family" angle is PR 101 and most of the time holds little-to-no weight in my experience.

Whenever anyone in my profession makes a move it is because of "family"... whenever they turn down an offer it is because of "family"... whenever anyone retires it is to spend more time with "family."

Politically, "family" is a universally accepted out for just about any uncomfortable situation.  The truth is often something very different.

Nice bulge.

Toronto never would have attacked his character because they were never the front runner in the chase.  If he had gone to Buffalo like he may or may not originally indicated he would, no one would have thought that Toronto was a serious option.

So, as I start looking for a new source of income, I shouldn't really involve my family in the decision-making process?  Because, say, if I want to move to Nashville, and my wife doesn't, then, I guess we're not moving to Nashville.  That's how it works here, at least.  Maybe I'm whipped.  As it turns out, after going to Nashville with my wife recently, all of sudden she is okay with moving there.  That doesn't apply to other relationships? 

I thought people were made fun of for being so dominant in relationships these days.  I am so confused about 2015.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.