All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

Maybe not but right now he's the man. After a few years of medicore teams and the fans getting restless, things can change. Babcock wasn't always the man and there are always up and coming coaches ready to take your place. It happens all the time in sports, especially since he has 1 cup. He isn't someone like Phil Jackson or Bill Belichick with a handful of league titles to fall back on.

Look at Mike Shanahan, who has two Super Bowl rings. He WAS a legendary NFL coach just 5 years ago, and the Bills were offering him the moon and stars, maybe even a % of the team to take the HC gig. Other NFL teams were falling over themselves offering him anything he wanted. Money, power, control.

He chose Washington because he wanted to "solidify his place in the Hall of Fame." It was the best chance to win big in a big market. Plus, he even mentioned that his family wouldn't want to come to Buffalo. Washington gave him ENORMOUS money and all the power he wanted. In short, he was a big f-ing deal in America's biggest sport.

Fast forward 5 years to today. He is out of work, and no NFL team seriously considered taking him on. The Bills brought him in after Marrone quit, heard him out, and said "thanks for your time but no thanks." He had a few other interviews but nobody really was that interested in him. In short, he's pretty much finished.

Keep in mind that Shanahan actually made the playoffs with Washington during his time there. But he didn't seal the deal, or even get that close. That's all anyone remembers now.

The stench of failure on a big stage is a LOT to overcome.

I hope Babcock fails as spectacularly in the NHL as Shanahan did in the NFL and ends up 5 years from now getting passed over by the Florida Panthers and Arizona Coyotes for HC gigs.

He will still have his tens of millions to count and can probably live on his past glories and coach Team Canada every 4 years.

This is a good post.

That well and good, but it doesn't really answer the question. I've certainly thought "well, if <whomever> can get close I'd rather go with them even if the money isn't exactly the same".

I'm just the messenger. I had three different people tell me that he wasn't very professional, two of those people didn't know who he was so they weren't biased comments. 

I'm just the messenger. I had three different people tell me that he wasn't very professional, two of those people didn't know who he was so they weren't biased comments.

Benigni was the one who suggested Babcock lied. Maybe they got the two confused.

It'll be interesting to see how Schopp and the Bulldog fill the next three hours when everything they speculated about the past 72 hours didn't happen, per GMTM.

"After the break, is GMTM covering for Babcock? And, what if it *were* all true!"

Here's a good one. Did Murray give Nolan a huge shot when he said he expects the coaching candidates to come in prepared, with sophisticated plans, and not just be old school and say, "We're going to dur work hard and forecheck dur." ?

Here's a good one. Did Murray give Nolan a huge shot when he said he expects the coaching candidates to come in prepared, with sophisticated plans, and not just be old school and say, "We're going to dur work hard and forecheck dur." ?

Don't know how it could be taken any other way.

I love how Schopp and BD rip a guy for saying "Hockey Gods" (just like here when people were ripping that and "Karma") and then they went on for twenty minutes on things that could put the Sabres in a negative light.

Just because one side is using religious terms and the other side is speaking scientifically, doesn't mean they aren't talking about the same thing. If you keep peeing on your shoes, eventually no one will want to dance with you.

Thank you. I know corporate culture can require a certain degree of douchbaggery, but it doesn't have to be universal.

Career and money are important considerations, but they aren't necessarily first on everyone's list, even successful people.

Harrington was fine. He asked a pointed question about Buffalo.

He was doing his job, no badgering involved.

We're talking about two different things.  I'm talking about the subtle art of PR for those in a high profile profession.  You guys are talking about whether or not family is important.  No doubt it is to everyone, myself included.  I'm simply saying that for those in professions where there is media involved whenever anyone switches jobs (as is the case in my profession), you pretty much have two things you can say publicly as to why you switched jobs: (1) the ultra-generic "it was time for a change" or the equally generic "my family and I needed a change", or (2) "I made this decision based on family considerations" (often times followed by a "to be closer to _____" statement).  It is how the game is played.  Whether or not it was a family decision doesn't matter.  You'll say the same thing either way. 

BTW - On May 8th or so Babcock's statement was something to the effect of "my wife and kids love Detroit and don't want to leave."   ;)

I was hoping he would sign with the Sabres.

I am disappointed he did not.  It does look like he played us.  It is what it is.  There is nothing we can do about it other than  enjoy beating the Leafs even more.

He is now the HC of the Leafs so I feel about him the same way I feel about the Leafs.

Go Sabres!

Don't know how it could be taken any other way.

Absolutely.

A friend of mine had, in a past life (so to speak), a regular working relationship with an individual who'd been involved with (physically present during some of) the hiring process for Nolan in the mid-90s. The story goes that, when Nolan was asked (not by one of the principals (was Quinn there at the time?) -- like a scouting director maybe) about on-ice concepts, strategies -- the left wing lock was specifically mentioned, I've heard -- Nolan gave this amused smile and then looked around at others in the room with a "is this guy serious?" sort of look, before saying he wasn't really clear on what the concept was and then he went back to one of his well-worn (and fairly generalized) talking points about how the game is played.

If'n that's what GM TM said, then I think he absolutely took a "subtweet" shot at the team's former coach.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I just hope GMTM doesn't turn out to be somebody that can't work with anybody. 

If he wasn't Babcock wouldn't have even talked to the Sabres in the first place.

I'm sure he'd be refreshing. I'd rather work with someone who tells it like it is.

Did Babcock say 'pain'? That sounds an awful lot like 'suffering'....... Can he say that?

If he wasn't Babcock wouldn't have even talked to the Sabres in the first place.

I'm sure he'd be refreshing. I'd rather work with someone who tells it like it is.

I like people that speak their mind. But to me he comes off as an ass. It wouldn't bother me in that situation, it might bug others. Not saying I'm concerned, I just hope there isn't more to it. 

Did Babcock say 'pain'? That sounds an awful lot like 'suffering'....... Can he say that?

I like people that speak their mind. But to me he comes off as an ass. It wouldn't bother me in that situation, it might bug others. Not saying I'm concerned, I just hope there isn't more to it. 

I can understand why it might rub some people the wrong way, and he's never going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd take his communication style over Darcy's any day.

A friend of mine had, in a past life (so to speak), a regular working relationship with an individual who'd been involved with (physically present during some of) the hiring process for Nolan in the mid-90s. The story goes that, when Nolan was asked (not by one of the principals (was Quinn there at the time?) -- like a scouting director maybe) about on-ice concepts, strategies -- the left wing lock was specifically mentioned, I've heard -- Nolan gave this amused smile and then looked around at others in the room with a "is this guy serious?" sort of look, before saying he wasn't really clear on what the concept was and then he went back to one of his well-worn (and fairly generalized) talking points about how the game is played.

If'n that's what GM TM said, then I think he absolutely took a "subtweet" shot at the team's former coach.

And yet.....I'd show up to every game he coached at the time.....with 10% my income from the 2000's......

Funny how some people value different things.......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.