Chicken wings

JJFIVEOH

I guess it depends how big the wings are. I prefer them the Buffalo way, thin and lots of skin. A lot of the chain restaurant garbage serve up monster wings with sauce that don't even resemble BFLO wings. I can see being full eating 10-15 of those. 

Then again, I wouldn't eat those if you forced me. Just cant do it. 

My wife is not a big wing eater. Where I'm from, we serve wings by the pound(8 to 11 wings/pound). Where we live now, they serve them in 10's (and they suck, so I make them myself). So we go back to my hometown and I have my wife call the pizza place from the car. I tell her to get the special. They (the pizza place) tell her that the special is a large pie and 4.5 lbs of wings. I hear my wife gasp and say "4.5 pounds!!??...." I immediately cut her off and told her "yes, that's what we're getting."

I then proceeded to eat 2 slices of pizza and 3.5 pounds of wings in 1 sitting. And according to my calculations, it was about 4000 calories and it was sooooooo worth it.

My wife is not a big wing eater. Where I'm from, we serve wings by the pound(8 to 11 wings/pound). Where we live now, they serve them in 10's (and they suck, so I make them myself). So we go back to my hometown and I have my wife call the pizza place from the car. I tell her to get the special. They (the pizza place) tell her that the special is a large pie and 4.5 lbs of wings. I hear my wife gasp and say "4.5 pounds!!??...." I immediately cut her off and told her "yes, that's what we're getting."

I then proceeded to eat 2 slices of pizza and 3.5 pounds of wings in 1 sitting. And according to my calculations, it was about 4000 calories and it was sooooooo worth it.

That sounds fine to me. Figure half the weight of the wing is bone, that doesn't work out too bad. I can eat a 2lb steak no problem, so figure 1.75lbs of actual chicken? Cake walk.

That sounds fine to me. Figure half the weight of the wing is bone, that doesn't work out too bad. I can eat a 2lb steak no problem, so figure 1.75lbs of actual chicken? Cake walk.

Yeah, but I'm 31 now and in the last year I gained like 15 pounds and nothing in my life has changed. I actually drink less and I probably eat better. The metabolism just disappeared this past year. So I stepped on the scale about 3 weeks ago and it read 195 (@5'9") and I had a conniption. So now I'm eating 2060 calories/day and working in a bunch of cardio and calisthenics. Gotta get back to the 175/180 range. So my 4000 calorie meal put a bit of a dent in that. But I'd been eating like a bird for 3 weeks leading up to that. I earned it!

You guys are killing me. I miss wings. I mean, good wings. I'll be making the colder of my semi-annual treks to the Great White North (Tonawanda. Not North Tonowanda, though) next week. Will have to hit Gabriel's Gate, or at the very least Duff's while in town.

Literally the best we can hope for down here is BW3. Which, technically can be called wings. Anatomically speaking.

Need to learn to make your own.

Mmmmm............. from Casa de JJ. 

O1V4gzql.jpg

As I was saying nice JJ

Yeah, but I'm 31 now and in the last year I gained like 15 pounds and nothing in my life has changed. I actually drink less and I probably eat better. The metabolism just ###### disappeared this past year. So I stepped on the scale about 3 weeks ago and it read 195 (@5'9") and I had a conniption. So now I'm eating 2060 calories/day and working in a bunch of cardio and calisthenics. Gotta get back to the 175/180 range. So my 4000 calorie meal put a bit of a dent in that. But I'd been eating like a ###### bird for 3 weeks leading up to that. I earned it!

I really need to start playing more hockey so I have an excuse to take in all those extra calories. Gotta do it now before my metabolism falls apart!  

Yeah, but I'm 31 now and in the last year I gained like 15 pounds and nothing in my life has changed. I actually drink less and I probably eat better. The metabolism just ###### disappeared this past year. So I stepped on the scale about 3 weeks ago and it read 195 (@5'9") and I had a conniption. So now I'm eating 2060 calories/day and working in a bunch of cardio and calisthenics. Gotta get back to the 175/180 range. So my 4000 calorie meal put a bit of a dent in that. But I'd been eating like a ###### bird for 3 weeks leading up to that. I earned it!

Sounds quite familiar.

I'm 31, had a very sedentary 6 months due to my shoulder...and lost almost 10 pounds. Go ahead, hate me.

I'm 31, had a very sedentary 6 months due to my shoulder...and lost almost 10 pounds. Go ahead, hate me.

I'm 47, have changed nothing in my activity level, and lost 40+ pounds in the last year by not eating 30 wings at a sitting.

FTR, when I was 29, I could eat that many and did with no consequence.

I really want wings right now.

I have no idea how you guys can fluctuate so much. I go to the gym 4 days a week @ 2-2.5 hours a pop. Couple of 5k's a week, couple of 10k's a month. I don't gorge myself on food, but if I make a big dinner, I make sure it gets eaten. If I make specialties like a grilled ribeye, wings, pan fried skrod, pork tenderloin...... I don't hold back.

I was recently on the road for a month. Didn't hit the gym once (ran a few times), I only had a full kitchen at my disposal for about a week, and even then it wasn't stocked so I could make any large dinners. So basically my caloric intake was down for a month.

When I left I weighed 203. The day I got back, I was 203.

I have no idea how you guys can fluctuate so much. I go to the gym 4 days a week @ 2-2.5 hours a pop. Couple of 5k's a week, couple of 10k's a month. I don't gorge myself on food, but if I make a big dinner, I make sure it gets eaten. If I make specialties like a grilled ribeye, wings, pan fried skrod, pork tenderloin...... I don't hold back.

I was recently on the road for a month. Didn't hit the gym once (ran a few times), I only had a full kitchen at my disposal for about a week, and even then it wasn't stocked so I could make any large dinners. So basically my caloric intake was down for a month.

When I left I weighed 203. The day I got back, I was 203.

Oddly enough, if you take in the same # of calories you burn, your weight stays the same. ;)

So, for your trip, the amount of calories you didn't burn ended up ~= to the calories you didn't eat by having no large meals. (Yeah, yeah, No schlitz, Sherlock. ;))

But for my own experience, until that was fully appreciated, maintaining weight was difficult after 30. Metabolism totally crashed ~30. Have never been obese, but did put on ~30 lbs around then due to injuring a knee & being totally sedentary for about 2-3 months. After that came off, yo-yoed a few times, never being able to lose until the "this is friggin' fat & you feel like crud" moment hit. Will power would then show up and the 30 pounds were gone in about 3 months. Could keep it off for over 2 years even, but after a trip to the inlaws (or whatever trigger) once weight started coming on, it didn't stop until that mental threshold was crossed & weight came back off again quickly.

About 2 years ago, wife gave me a fitbit. It helped, but not entirely. But when the engineer started plotting net calories vs the next day's weight gain & the extremely strong correlation was observed, a light bulb went off. After only gaining 10 lbs, had figured out what my personal correlation of caloric net vs weight gain, and actually lost 20 from there (back to the ridiculously low weight that is recommended - NEVER thought that would be seen again) and only put 5 of it back on. And, it really is a direct (90%+) correlation if dehydration is accounted for.

Bottom line - totally get why/ how people yo-yo. But also realize there's enough support/knowledge out that that just about everybody should be able to maintain something reasonable for them.

And, seriously, good for you that you could be away from home for a month & not gain a pound. Something inate told you what you could take in given your routine change. Wouldn't have worked inately for this kid.

Oddly enough, if you take in the same # of calories you burn, your weight stays the same. ;)

So, for your trip, the amount of calories you didn't burn ended up ~= to the calories you didn't eat by having no large meals. (Yeah, yeah, No schlitz, Sherlock. ;))

But for my own experience, until that was fully appreciated, maintaining weight was difficult after 30. Metabolism totally crashed ~30. Have never been obese, but did put on ~30 lbs around then due to injuring a knee & being totally sedentary for about 2-3 months. After that came off, yo-yoed a few times, never being able to lose until the "this is friggin' fat & you feel like crud" moment hit. Will power would then show up and the 30 pounds were gone in about 3 months. Could keep it off for over 2 years even, but after a trip to the inlaws (or whatever trigger) once weight started coming on, it didn't stop until that mental threshold was crossed & weight came back off again quickly.

About 2 years ago, wife gave me a fitbit. It helped, but not entirely. But when the engineer started plotting net calories vs the next day's weight gain & the extremely strong correlation was observed, a light bulb went off. After only gaining 10 lbs, had figured out what my personal correlation of caloric net vs weight gain, and actually lost 20 from there (back to the ridiculously low weight that is recommended - NEVER thought that would be seen again) and only put 5 of it back on. And, it really is a direct (90%+) correlation if dehydration is accounted for.

Bottom line - totally get why/ how people yo-yo. But also realize there's enough support/knowledge out that that just about everybody should be able to maintain something reasonable for them.

And, seriously, good for you that you could be away from home for a month & not gain a pound. Something inate told you what you could take in given your routine change. Wouldn't have worked inately for this kid.

That's great you finally got down to where (I assume) you were aiming for. I give people a ton of credit who have the determination to eat the appropriate diet to get to a reasonable weight. I just enjoy food way too much to do that. I guess that's half the reason I spend so much time in the gym, I feel guilty if I take more than one day off in between. Maintaining weight through a proper diet, I give you props.

That's great you finally got down to where (I assume) you were aiming for. I give people a ton of credit who have the determination to eat the appropriate diet to get to a reasonable weight. I just enjoy food way too much to do that. I guess that's half the reason I spend so much time in the gym, I feel guilty if I take more than one day off in between. Maintaining weight through a proper diet, I give you props.

It's not strictly diet, but knowing there's about a 400 calorie zone that will be burned in a day (depending on activities) kind of sets a window to target. And knowing that window will be exceeded on holidays & weekends puts forth a requirement to have weekdays below that window to maintain where the weight should be.

But prior to seeing the #'s, I'd believed the correlation was more like 65-70%. It's not. That makes it much easier (in my case at least) to stay on plan. If there's an event planned, can be good before or after 'cause the event behavior WILL be "bad", but it's easy to calculate what "good" needs to be. And if you know what it is, it isn't that hard to do it.

This thread is blowing me away. I lump 10 wings in the same category as a salad. 

I remember eating 25 wings the last time we went out with my wife and her friend and they all looked at me like I was Adam from Man vs. Food. Once a month me and my teammates head to Bar Bill and down 100+ between 4 or 5 guys, along with two orders of waffle fries and a few beef on wecks.

Yes I'm 28 and have the metabolism of a pre-teen, so I know it will eventually not be the case. But for now, give me those gluttonous wings  :beer:

I remember eating 25 wings the last time we went out with my wife and her friend and they all looked at me like I was Adam from Man vs. Food. Once a month me and my teammates head to Bar Bill and down 100+ between 4 or 5 guys, along with two orders of waffle fries and a few beef on wecks.

Yes I'm 28 and have the metabolism of a pre-teen, so I know it will eventually not be the case. But for now, give me those gluttonous wings  :beer:

Yo, let's hang out.  :beer:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.