Chicken wings

JJFIVEOH

Wait a gotdamm minute. I can take an outlier decrying blue cheese as the perfect companion to wings, but three people? You guys are out of line. Way out of line.

Blue cheese is a wonderful, delightful complement to the wing. Maybe not everyone wants it or enjoys it or whatever, and that's fine. That leaves more for me.

In any case: Having blue cheese with your wings is a definitively Buffalo thing to do. I won't debate that point.

And you ask the server to give you a plain hard roll with your roast beef sandwich. And you skip the horseradish.

Frankly, I was worried I'd be banned for taking a stand against blue cheese. I stand by my statement: the only reason to put blue cheese on wings is if you don't like how wings taste alone. I can't fathom why someone wouldn't like wings alone though. Many years ago I worked with a guy that went to college in Buffalo and he was giving me about not eating BC on wings. I had to pull the "I've been eating wings since I was 5 years old" line on him. :)

Also, I don't put horseradish on beef for the same reason. The beef and roll are so damn good on their own, why would I add something that completely overwhelms that?

Fixed it for ya. ;)

(Though I agree w/ the original sentiment.)

Celery is for wiping up the bits of sauce in the bottom of the basket. Can't let it go to waste.

Frankly, I was worried I'd be banned for taking a stand against blue cheese. I stand by my statement: the only reason to put blue cheese on wings is if you don't like how wings taste alone. I can't fathom why someone wouldn't like wings alone though. Many years ago I worked with a guy that went to college in Buffalo and he was giving me ###### about not eating BC on wings. I had to pull the "I've been eating wings since I was 5 years old" line on him. :)

Also, I don't put horseradish on beef for the same reason. The beef and roll are so damn good on their own, why would I add something that completely overwhelms that?

Celery is for wiping up the bits of sauce in the bottom of the basket. Can't let it go to waste.

I think my larger issue is that you're saying that there's no reason to put BC on your wings.

There's a perfectly good reason: Because it tastes awesome. That is, it tastes awesome to me. And to 10s of 1000s of other people with the good sense to agree with me, including, IIRC, Theresa Bellisimo, who was the one who used to make the stuff from scratch when she decided she wanted to complement her spicy bar food with something cool, creamy and savory.

We're alking about complementary flavors, textures, etc. And the same mos def goes for horseradish on my BoW.

It's fine if you're palate [sic] is of a kind that wants things on a more one-note basis -- but just because someone wants to make some food harmony doesn't mean they're doing something that should not, or need not be done.

Vive la difference!

Edited by That Aud Smell

Wait a gotdamm minute. I can take an outlier decrying blue cheese as the perfect companion to wings, but three people? You guys are out of line. Way out of line.

Blue cheese is a wonderful, delightful complement to the wing. Maybe not everyone wants it or enjoys it or whatever, and that's fine. That leaves more for me.

In any case: Having blue cheese with your wings is a definitively Buffalo thing to do. I won't debate that point.

And you ask the server to give you a plain hard roll with your roast beef sandwich. And you skip the horseradish.

The combination of a large pizza, double order of wings, extra blue cheese containers, and a pitcher of Blue/Canadian is about as close to heaven as I can get.

I prefer to spread some of the blue onto the surface of my slice.

Ugh. I want to be at Bob & John's with pizza/wings/fries/BC and a pitcher of Blue/Canadian and have them bring over a beef on weck with horseradish from the Pub right now. Damn you!

Frankly, I was worried I'd be banned for taking a stand against blue cheese. I stand by my statement: the only reason to put blue cheese on wings is if you don't like how wings taste alone. I can't fathom why someone wouldn't like wings alone though. Many years ago I worked with a guy that went to college in Buffalo and he was giving me ###### about not eating BC on wings. I had to pull the "I've been eating wings since I was 5 years old" line on him. :)

You are NOT from Buffalo. No horseradish? And you use the celery for the WING SAUCE? Gross!

giphy.gif

Don't post here much but lurk everyday.

The best wings I've ever had are without a doubt Bar Bill in East Aurora. I usually only eat my wings medium, but they have unbelievable honey BBQ wings.

I live in South Florida. Anyone who lives here and yearns for something resembling a wing from Buffalo, check out Wings and Things in Pompano Beach.

Don't post here much but lurk everyday.

The best wings I've ever had are without a doubt Bar Bill in East Aurora. I usually only eat my wings medium, but they have unbelievable honey BBQ wings.

I live in South Florida. Anyone who lives here and yearns for something resembling a wing from Buffalo, check out Wings and Things in Pompano Beach.

I'm sure they do, but I can't imagine ordering anything other than traditional wings if I'm at Bar Bill. Honey BBQ is for when I'm at Buffalo Wild Wings or something (not in Buffalo).

The combination of a large pizza, double order of wings, extra blue cheese containers, and a pitcher of Blue/Canadian is about as close to heaven as I can get.

I prefer to spread some of the blue onto the surface of my slice.

Whoa there Aud, I think you missed my point. I think dipping wings in blue cheese just takes too much time/effort away from eating said wings. That's why I don't do it. It still tastes awesome.

Blue cheese on top of the pizza, however, is where it's at.

Dont try to take my Buffalo-card away from me that easily.

Also - F### ranch dressing. Don't give me that crap. :thumbsup:

Whoa there Aud, I think you missed my point. I think dipping wings in blue cheese just takes too much time/effort away from eating said wings. That's why I don't do it. It still tastes awesome.

Also - F### ranch dressing. Don't give me that crap. :thumbsup:

F### Ranch dressing with a jackhammer!

Wow, who da guessed a chicken wing thread could turn pointed amongst past and present Buffalonians.  Never saw that coming, really I didn't.

Then, no horseradish evil talk was brought in to the mix. Blasphemy  some say!

But at least we have the consensus that ranch dressing is for people from Texas or there abouts, especially if they wear funny hats.

Okay, okay -- my bad. Sorry that I wrongly lumped you in with others who were more clearly anti-BC.

And, yes: Fridge-chilled blue cheese atop a fresh out the oven greasy Buffalo slice is among the most perfect things I can put in my mouth. Perfection. Proof that God loves me, and all that.

F### Ranch dressing with a jackhammer!

I can't even stay at a table or a spot at the bar when that sh!t happens.

Blue cheese is terrible. On anything. For any reason.

You may now proceed to stone me.

100% agreed... I hate that sh!t.  It smells like feet, dammit!  :sick:

And now I want wings, too.  Curse you all!

100% agreed... I hate that sh!t.  It smells like feet, dammit!   :sick:

And now I want wings, too.  Curse you all!

No kidding. I wonder if there's a good place in Lancaster (PA); I'll meet you half way.

Edited by MattPie

Okay, okay -- my bad. Sorry that I wrongly lumped you in with others who were more clearly anti-BC.

And, yes: Fridge-chilled blue cheese atop a fresh out the oven greasy Buffalo slice is among the most perfect things I can put in my mouth. Perfection. Proof that God loves me, and all that.

I can't even stay at a table or a spot at the bar when that sh!t happens.

Blue cheese is terrible. On anything. For any reason.

You may now proceed to stone me.

stone.... rock.... Stone.... rock

Seriously, not only is chunky blue awesome, I need a slice of the most ripe version with a good steak for contast...

Ground horseradish with weck is awesome especially on a cold evening. Hot Wings and Horseradish help kill what ails you and makes your sinuses soupy.

Edited by North Buffalo

No kidding. I wonder if there's a good place in Lancaster (PA); I'll meet you half way.

Wish I knew!  I'm new to the wing game; I avoided them for years because I don't like spicy food.  I've realized that I really love the flavor of a good vinegar based sauce, but I don't like the wing itself very much, lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.