Roster review: #35 Anders Lindback

dudacek

Roster review: Anders Lindback  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done about Anders Lindback?

• He should be re-signed and allowed to compete for the starter’s job. He’s earned it.
    • I’d be OK with giving him a back-up’s contract, so long as we bring in somebody else to be number one.
    • Let him go. There are better options out there.

Somebody made a great suggestion a while back about doing a series of individual player discussion threads to keep the hockey talk moving through the offseason. I figured if I want to read them, I may as well create them too.

I'm will start a new thread about another Sabres player every couple of days running through the next few months. We can have at it about what we like about this player, what we don't, and how we see him fitting in to this team in the future. It might be a great opportunity to see what the forum consensus is about our roster.

I'll start with our free agents, move on to the veterans under contract and finish up with prospects and new acquisitions as we get closer to next season. To kick things off:

post-2708-0-16505800-1429540596_thumb.jpg

#35 Anders Lindback G (26-year-old UFA)

Dallas          2/8/0  3.37  .875

Buffalo        4/8/2  2.76  .924

Lindback arrived in the NHL as part of an emerging trend for goalies: the big Scandinavian picked outside the early rounds. He spent his first two years shining as Pekka Rinne's backup in Nashville, making scouts around the league wonder if he could duplicate Rinne's success.

Tampa believed, shipping two seconds and a third to the Preds for his services with the idea of making him their number one keeper. Instead, they got two years of disappointing performances. He lost his job to Ben Bishop and the Bolts did not offer him a contract last summer.

He found work as a backup in Dallas, but his play there was so spotty that when Buffalo acquired him in a deal for Jhonas Enroth, many dismissed him as a contract dump at best. Others, pointing to his league-worst stats, said his real role was to ensure the success of the Sabres' tank.

But Ted Nolan rode him hard and he responded very well, posting far superior numbers to his two predecessors in the Buffalo crease and adding an element of puckhandling, as he kept the Sabres in a number of games.

The question is which version is the real Lindback. Did his post-deadline play has earned him another NHL shot? And will that shot be in Buffalo? 

Edited by dudacek

Somebody made a great suggestion a while back about doing a series of individual player discussion threads to keep the hockey talk moving through the offseason. I figured if I want to read them, I may as well create them too.

I'm will start a new thread about another Sabres player every couple of days running through the next few months. We can have at it about what we like about this player, what we don't, and how we see him fitting in to this team in the future. It might be a great opportunity to see what the forum consensus is about our roster.

I'll start with our free agents, move on to the veterans under contract and finish up with prospects and new acquisitions as we get closer to next season. To kick things off:

#35 Anders Lindback G (26-year-old UFA)

Dallas          2/8/0  3.37  .875

Buffalo        4/8/2  2.76  .924

Lindback arrived in the NHL as part of an emerging trend for goalies: the big Scandinavian picked outside the early rounds. He spent his first two years shining as Pekka Rinne's backup in Nashville, making scouts around the league wonder if he could duplicate Rinne's success.

Tampa believed, shipping two seconds and a third to the Preds for his services with the idea of making him their number one keeper. Instead, they got two years of disappointing performances. He lost his job to Ben Bishop and the Bolts did not offer him a contract last summer.

He found work as a backup in Dallas, but his play there was so spotty that when Buffalo acquired him in a deal for Jhonas Enroth, many dismissed him as a contract dump at best. Others, pointing to his league-worst stats, said his real role was to ensure the success of the Sabres' tank.

But Ted Nolan rode him hard and he responded very well, posting far superior numbers to his two predecessors in the Buffalo crease and adding an element of puckhandling, as he kept the Sabres in a number of games.

The question is which version is the real Lindback. Did his post-deadline play has earned him another NHL shot? And will that shot be in Buffalo? 

Depends if that was due to Nolan or Irbe?

I'm will start a new thread about another Sabres player every couple of days running through the next few months.

I like your style. ZFG to the did this need it's own thread crowd!

I have virtually no opinion on goaltending.  It seemed like just about any goalie the Sabres had put up great save percentage numbers but still lost; as was mentioned already, who knows if that was TN's "circle the wagons" defense or Irbe's coaching, and whether it will carry over to this season.  I kind of feel that if Murray can obtain a great goalie in the off-season he will, but if he doesn't, oh well, and let the team develop.  If they're looking good but need better goaltending that's something he can address during the season.

lol

I would sign Anders to a short 2 year deal but not for a ton of money by any means. 

I think a lot of the success that this year's Sabres goalie crop showed was a direct result of being outshot 2-1 every game. When you face that many shots it helps keep you focused and certainly some of them were not prime scoring chances since we played an inside-out defensive strategy. 

I don't really want to bring any of the goalies from this year back, but of the choices, I think Lindback has the best size and former hot prospect label that GMTM would like. He has already expressed his preference for large goalies in the past.

I have virtually no opinion on goaltending.  It seemed like just about any goalie the Sabres had put up great save percentage numbers but still lost;.

I thought this too, but Neuvirth's was .918 with Buffalo and Enroth's was just .903 with the Sabres.

I would think: Niemi, Hammond, Ramo, Neuvirth, Enroth, at least come before Lindback.  If you want to move Chad Johnson and resign him on a two year 750K contract for two years as the back-up sure.  The team should sign O'Connor if they have the leg up regardless.  Ullmark having double hip surgery should be a major concern.  Dump: Hackett, and Lieuwen. 

I would think: Niemi, Hammond, Ramo, Neuvirth, Enroth, at least come before Lindback.  If you want to move Chad Johnson and resign him on a two year 750K contract for two years as the back-up sure.  The team should sign O'Connor if they have the leg up regardless.  Ullmark having double hip surgery should be a major concern.  Dump: Hackett, and Lieuwen. 

Especially since it looks like we will be drafting Eichel, O'Connor seems to have a good shot at coming to Buffalo given he was already interested. Him as a backup behind Niemi or Hammond would be alright for next year.

I don't think we bring back any of the 2014-15 goalies.

They already have Chad Johnson under contract for one more year.  Let him be the backup for next year, and find a starter via F/A or trade.

Lindback was arguably one of the worst goalies in the NHL last year prior to being traded.  Do not be fooled by his play as a Sabre.

They already have Chad Johnson under contract for one more year.  Let him be the backup for next year, and find a starter via F/A or trade.

Lindback was arguably one of the worst goalies in the NHL last year prior to being traded.  Do not be fooled by his play as a Sabre.

I don't trust his glove and wasn't impressed with his movement.

Pluses: Can't teach size, and he does handle the puck well.  Problem w/ puck handling skills is, he can't use 'em if the puck is in his net.

Pluses: Can't teach size, and he does handle the puck well.  Problem w/ puck handling skills is, he can't use 'em if the puck is in his net.

Plus the stupid trapezoid rule has made puck handling goalies not nearly as valuable. Brodeur used to be a force by playing the puck and starting the rush, but the trapezoid limited that.

This is exactly what I saw when watching him. If a team could pass well enough to get him moving side to side, any save he made put me into a state of shock.

I simply think we can get much better in free agency or a trade.

I thought he was lucky the first week or two here, but he played surprisingly well the rest of the way.

Still, I put far more weight on the two terrible years in Tampa. We can't afford that next year. 

Pass.

Edited by dudacek

After how well he played he absolutely needs to be in the mix. I'm kind of starting to think goalies are a dime a dozen. But I'm not 100% on that but it seems that way sometimes.

Oh, and I love this idea about the players! Thanks for doing it

I do think the league is somewhat trending in this direction. There are the superstar, MVP type goalies that will always be very valuable, Price and Rinne being examples. But there are lots of examples of lesser known guys stepping up and getting the job done, like Hammond and Darling (Albeit, with a small sample size). It seems like if you don't have one of those very top of the line netminders, you just have to find someone reasonably solid or ride the hot hand. Some teams are even employing more of a goalie by committee style. 

In some ways, goalies are becoming the running backs of the NHL.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.