Roster review: #35 Anders Lindback

dudacek

Roster review: Anders Lindback  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be done about Anders Lindback?

• He should be re-signed and allowed to compete for the starter’s job. He’s earned it.
    • I’d be OK with giving him a back-up’s contract, so long as we bring in somebody else to be number one.
    • Let him go. There are better options out there.

I think a lot of the success that this year's Sabres goalie crop showed was a direct result of being outshot 2-1 every game. When you face that many shots it helps keep you focused and certainly some of them were not prime scoring chances since we played an inside-out defensive strategy.

This.  I believe that it has been shown that, all else equal, higher shot against rates tend to lead to higher save percentages.  With the bend, but don't break defense that allowed a ridiculous number of shots against from the outside, everyone came here and looked good.

This.  I believe that it has been shown that, all else equal, higher shot against rates tend to lead to higher save percentages.  With the bend, but don't break defense that allowed a ridiculous number of shots against from the outside, everyone came here and looked good.

Yeh, and that is true, but Sabres didn't get blown out very often despite that fact and having a crappy team.  D and goalies stood up pretty well despite not having guys to help them break out and stretch the opposing team's D.  So, saying SOG is the the only indicator leading tho high save percentage is devaluing the eye test.  These guys seemed to play more than decent, much better than previous places they were at  With the possibility of continued improvment under Irbe's tutelage, I think at least one or two may be starter worthy and Lindback is one imo.

Yeh, and that is true, but Sabres didn't get blown out very often despite that fact and having a crappy team.  D and goalies stood up pretty well despite not having guys to help them break out and stretch the opposing team's D.  So, saying SOG is the the only indicator leading tho high save percentage is devaluing the eye test.  These guys seemed to play more than decent, much better than previous places they were at  With the possibility of continued improvment under Irbe's tutelage, I think at least one or two may be starter worthy and Lindback is one imo.

It's also the style of play the Sabres employed. Unlike Lindy Ruff teams of the past, where the defense liberally pinched and the forwards were encouraged to breakout quickly for the stretch pass, Nolan's system was more of a "all 5 guys behind the puck" type strategy. That prevented our goalies being subjected to high % breakaways and 2-on-1s when the defense would get caught in a pinch.

Basically, you had 40 shots to beat our goalie on a clean shot or deflected point shot. Those are lower percentage scoring chances than odd man rushes and slot chances.

To answer the poll: two months of looking OK isn't enough to choose the first option (and he hasn't "earned" anything), but I'm not sure I'm down with bringing a big-time UFA goalie when Lindback might be "good" either. I'm trying to think of the last time a team had a ton of success bringing in a UFA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For those who may have missed it, Lindback's brief career with the Sabres ended with him signing a one-year contract with Arizona on the first day of free agency:

http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2015/7/1/8879201/arizona-coyotes-sign-anders-lindback-to-one-year-deal

Cue the tanking comments now.

$875k on a team known to be pursuing Matthews. Signed on July 1 (meaning Lindback didn't have any hopes of landing a better deal).

Why, oh, why in the world didn't the Sabres make a play? :angry:

:w00t:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.