The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Eichel just seems like a winner.  McDavid will win because of his talent, like Crosby.  Eichel will win because of his skill, yes, but also his leadership abilities and desire--like Messier.

If Murray puts the right pieces around Eichel, and if Risto, Bogo, Reinhart and company keep developing, I really think the Sabres will be a contender.  It's going to take a few years and the additions of some experienced playoff vets with game left in their tanks, but it's attainable. 

Eichel just seems like a winner.  McDavid will win because of his talent, like Crosby.  Eichel will win because of his skill, yes, but also his leadership abilities and desire--like Messier.

If Murray puts the right pieces around Eichel, and if Risto, Bogo, Reinhart and company keep developing, I really think the Sabres will be a contender.  It's going to take a few years and the additions of some experienced playoff vets with game left in their tanks, but it's attainable.

Attainable and sustainable.

GO SABRES!!!

Eichel makes the players around him better.  There is no better example than his linemate this year, Evan Rodrigues.  Take a look at his stats with and without Eichel.  60 points in three years without him, 61 points in the one year with him.  There were similar increases from all the top scorers on that team.  He took a horrible team with some good young talent and turned it into the highest scoring offense in the nation.  That's the Eichel-effect.  Now he just needs to do it again.  That description of BU feels awfully similar to the Sabres, a horrible team with some good young talent.  The only difference is that instead of just spending one year, he gets to bloom along with these players for a long time.  Let's hope he's able to do it again.

Eichel makes the players around him better.  There is no better example than his linemate this year, Evan Rodrigues.  Take a look at his stats with and without Eichel.  60 points in three years without him, 61 points in the one year with him.  There were similar increases from all the top scorers on that team.  He took a horrible team with some good young talent and turned it into the highest scoring offense in the nation.  That's the Eichel-effect.  Now he just needs to do it again.  That description of BU feels awfully similar to the Sabres, a horrible team with some good young talent.  The only difference is that instead of just spending one year, he gets to bloom along with these players for a long time.  Let's hope he's able to do it again.

Perhaps the single-most important aspect of him as a hockey player. I think the ability to make those around you better is where the definition of greatness begins.

GO SABRES!!!

I meant Parker (the retired BU coach who apparently recruited Eichel). I also heard the Quinn interview.

My bad.  I thought you meant the one today.  I'll have to listen to the Parker audio as I haven't had a chance to yet.

Edited by Derrico

My bad.  I thought you meant the one today.  I'll have to listen to the Parker audio as I haven't had a chance to yet.

Good stuff.

Parker was a bit of a trip. He clearly had a cold or something. Simon was in the process of letting him go, and then Parker volunteered that it amuses him when people want to compare McDavid to Eichel because they're such different players. He then made a reference to 99 and 66 -- very different players ("but they both played centeh!"). 

I've now heard from multiple people (pundit types -- although maybe it all started with Parker?) that Eichel's ability to protect the puck is reminiscent of Lemieux. Not for nothing: Both players are right-handed (which, IMO, cuts against the bias that "the great ones are all lefties").

I'm just becoming more and more geeked that Eichel is our guy. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

Good stuff.

Parker was a bit of a trip. He clearly had a cold or something. Simon was in the process of letting him go, and then Parker volunteered that it amuses him when people want to compare McDavid to Eichel because they're such different players. He then made a reference to 99 and 66 -- very different players ("but they both played centeh!"). 

I've now heard from multiple people (pundit types -- although maybe it all started with Parker?) that Eichel's ability to protect the puck is reminiscent of Lemieux. Not for nothing: Both players are right-handed (which, IMO, cuts against the bias that "the great ones are all lefties").

I think the Lemieux reminder is apt. From the longer stick to his longer skating stride and ability to hit top speed in two strides, he is similar in that regard. And he's fast as well.

GO SABRES!!!

I think the Lemieux reminder is apt. From the longer stick to his longer skating stride and ability to hit top speed in two strides, he is similar in that regard. And he's fast as well.

GO SABRES!!!

I need help remembering Lemieux accurately. Is Eichel's top-end speed better than his? I reckon it is. I also take it as a given that Eichel may not quite have the hands or vision of one of the 3 greatest players to put on skates.

I need help remembering Lemieux accurately. Is Eichel's top-end speed better than his? I reckon it is. I also take it as a given that Eichel may not quite have the hands or vision of one of the 3 greatest players to put on skates.

I can't say definitively who is faster, only that both are very fast and super strong on the puck. And it's safe to say Eichel does not possess the same hands or vision.

Yet.

GO SABRES!!!

Good stuff.

Old people like to ramble on and on.  Just picture Parker as Grampa Simpson and you'll get a more clear picture. :lol:

And when it comes time to announce the Sabres first round pick, a new player who's never even laced them up for practice with the Sabres will announce Eichel, and afterward Evan Rodrigues will declare, "Welcome home, Jack."  

Wouldn't that make for some great theater?

And when it comes time to announce the Sabres first round pick, a new player who's never even laced them up for practice with the Sabres will announce Eichel, and afterward Evan Rodrigues will declare, "Welcome home, Jack."  

no... Evan didn't suffer the tank, he hasn't earned the right to make this pick. Tim Murray has. I have. You have.  but Evan Rodriguez has not. 

I don't hate this idea.  I think it'd be cool if Perrault did it too.

We didn't do it for any of our other firsts, why do it for Eichel? Because he's a high rated prospect? We just had a huge thread about TM disrespecting Eichel, and now we wanna go and make up for that by disrespecting all of our other prospects. 

Not that it's being highly advocated on here, but it worries me that Eichel will get such a better treatment than Reinhart, and Reinhart will just be swept aside and maybe resent the organization. Treat them the same, only difference is their lines and how much they earn.

I don't think that would make for great theatre in any way. Nobody but BU fans and us would even know who Rodrigues is without them announcing it... And it would, as Wildcard pointed out, be an insult to so many others.

It would also make us look like an amateur organization.

WyldnWoody brought it up in the Playoff thread: he asked who Johnny hockey was so when I was looking up a link to give him I noticed he spent last season in the NCAA playing for BC. It was his third season playing for BC, and he put up 36-44-80 in 40 games. He then went on to put up 24-40-64 in 80 gp in the NHL his rookie year (this year).

So, I think that sets a decent precedent for Eichel. Granted Gaudreau gets to have Monahan center him, I still think Eichel is capable of putting up better numbers than Gaudreua did, especially with Kane and Ennis as line-mates. 

Thoughts?

Hey IKP, if you're willing I'm really interested in what Gaudreau's NHLe was for his most recent BC season. 

Hey IKP, if you're willing I'm really interested in what Gaudreau's NHLe was for his most recent BC season. 

Johnny Gaudreau posted 80 points in his 40 game junior season with BC.  His NHLe based on that season was 67 points.  He scored 64 points in his 80 game rookie year for Calgary (82 game equivalent would have been 65.6 points).

If you don't feel like watching this whole video target these three highlights:

0:13 -- Double assist by passing it to himself and then a beauty no-look out front.

1:37 -- Awesome fight for the puck and then an incredible move without hesitation for the goal.

2:48 -- The flash. He's not just a strong player but an amazing skater with quick hands. Tight space but still creates a great scoring chance.

3:23 feathers the pass over the Dmans stick creating perfect set-up of teammate in stride .

Edited by calti

WyldnWoody brought it up in the Playoff thread: he asked who Johnny hockey was so when I was looking up a link to give him I noticed he spent last season in the NCAA playing for BC. It was his third season playing for BC, and he put up 36-44-80 in 40 games. He then went on to put up 24-40-64 in 80 gp in the NHL his rookie year (this year).

So, I think that sets a decent precedent for Eichel. Granted Gaudreau gets to have Monahan center him, I still think Eichel is capable of putting up better numbers than Gaudreua did, especially with Kane and Ennis as line-mates. 

Thoughts?

Gaudreau entered the NHL as a 21 year old rookie.  Eichel will be an 18/19 year old rookie (too lazy to look up exactly where his DOB falls).

Johnny Gaudreau posted 80 points in his 40 game junior season with BC.  His NHLe based on that season was 67 points.  He scored 64 points in his 80 game rookie year for Calgary (82 game equivalent would have been 65.6 points).

I'm impressed with how accurate that is. Thanks for doing that

Gaudreau entered the NHL as a 21 year old rookie.  Eichel will be an 18/19 year old rookie (too lazy to look up exactly where his DOB falls).

Very true. But Eichel is also 6'2" and 194 lbs to Gaudreau's 5'9" 150lbs. 

I mean, the kid can't even fit in his jersey. He looks like he was violently pulled from NeverLand 

Gaudreau_John.JPG

Edited by WildCard

I'm impressed with how accurate that is. Thanks for doing that

Very true. But Eichel is also 6'2" and 194 lbs to Gaudreau's 5'9" 150lbs. 

I mean, the kid can't even fit in his jersey. He looks like he was violently pulled from NeverLand 

You're welcome.

That's the fun part about analytics: it doesn't care about any of this.  Player X scores Y PPG then goes to the NHL and scores (Y PPG x 82 x NHLe factor).  Ain't no Z age.  Ain't no W height.  Ain't no R fatass.  It's predictive, and there are limits, but the player could be scoring two points per game in juniors while shitting his diaper, and the math wouldn't care.

Edited by IKnowPhysics