The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

I'm really interested to see what number he picks. It seems like he's taking his time for something.

WGR did this but only half-assed it because they don't put effort into what they do... But here's a breakdown of the possible numbers... Strike through for the definitely not (used/retired), regular for the doubtful but can't rule out, bold for the likely, italics for the interesting options...

1 - Doubtful as a forward

2 - Retired for Horton

3 - Mark Pysyk

4 - Josh Gorges

5 - Available but not normally a forward option

6 - Mike Weber

7 - Retired for Rico

8 - Cody McCormick

9 - Evander Kane

10 - Available and one up from his 9, fine number, birth month (October)

11 - Retired for Perrault but it's in his twitter handle. Favors this number. Maybe he is trying to work something out?

12 - Brian Gionta

13 - Available and an interesting option, not popular

14 - Retired for Robert

15 - The obvious choice as he wore this in international play and it's his draft year

16 - Retired for PLF

17 - Available and a solid forward number

18 - Retired for Gare

19 - Obvious transition for a former #9 but the number has a "curse"

20 - Fine number but seems unlikely since he has no connection to it

21 - See 20

22 - Johan Larsson

23 - Sam Reinhart

24 - It's a cool number and he could make it his own

25 - Grigorenko just left it open but it doesn't seem likely

26 - Matt Moulson

27 - Three 9s? Can't see a reason to go here

28 - Zemgus Girgensons

29 - Jake McCabe

30 - 32 - goalie numbers

33 - Seems to becoming more popular among forwards but I doubt it

34 - Same as 33

35 - Retired for Ryan Vinz slash why would he?

36 - Probably leave this one open for hometown favorite Pat Kaleta should he come back

37 - Matt Ellis (barf)

38 - I'm willing to bet he doesn't go for Paetsch's number

39 - Retired for the Dominator

40 - Likely Robin Lehner's number

41 - Meh it's not too attractive, unlikely

42 - I think this number should be more popular around the league, but I doubt it

43 - Not a good number

44 - Nic Deslauriers

45 - Yuck probably not going to happen, but 4 + 5 = 9?

46 - He wore this at one point in international play and he could make it his own

47 - Bogo

48 - Another number I think should be used more but there's no connection unless he loved Briere

49 - At least there's a 9 in it

50 - Goalie or Antoine Vermette

51 - Nikit... I mean :(

52 - 54 - Not happening

55 - Rasmus Ristolainen

56 - 62 - Not happening

63 - Tyler Ennis

64 - 80 - The only interesting option here is 77

81 - Possible? 8 + 1 = 9 and it's a solid forward number

82 - Marcus Foligno

83 - 89 - Not many attractive numbers there

90 - Ryan O'Reilly

91 - This is a popular one for dynamic forwards around the league

92 - 95 - 90s are more popular now but he has no connection to these

96 - I would be fine if he went with his birth year. It's a popular thing these days

97 - No way he just takes the McDavid number

98 - No connection but one up McDavid? Lame

99 - Retired for Gretzky

So the top options seem to be (in order based on my opinion):

15 - The obvious choice as he wore this in international play and it's his draft year

10 - Available and one up from his 9, fine number, birth month (October)

96 - I would be fine if he went with his birth year. It's a popular thing these days

11 - Retired for Perrault but it's in his twitter handle. Favors this number. Maybe he is trying to work something out?

19 - Obvious transition for a former #9 but the number has a "curse"

46 - He wore this at one point in international play and he could make it his own

I asked somebody from the organization when the presser will be and they said nobody has any clue at this point. Strange. When was Reinhart's?

Looked it up: June 30th (3 days after the first round)

Edited by Hoss

I asked somebody from the organization when the presser will be and they said nobody has any clue at this point. Strange. When was Reinhart's?

June 30th of that year, so 3 days after the draft.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2014/06/30/sam-reinhart-meets-the-buffalo-media-on-family-help-expectations-more/

Can't be the NCAA thing, can it? I'm sure if they haven't worked it out by then then the entire presser will be him and Murray getting bombarded with hypotheticals

Edited by WildCard

WGR did this but only half-assed it because they don't put effort into what they do... 

C'mon, man. Your mileage will vary; some of those cats are better than others. But, in any case, those guys deal in volume - a daily grind to generate talking points. Bit of a gratuitous potshot, innit ?

11 - Retired for Perreault but it's in his twitter handle. Favors this number. Maybe he is trying to work something out?

11 - Retired for Perreault but it's in his twitter handle. Favors this number. Maybe he is trying to work something out?

Um, no. There was a story about how the FO chuckled ("hahaha - no") when he asked during his interview whether the # 11 would be available.

15 wasn't that Gerry Meehan's?

'Twas. I was thinking Dixon Ward.

Looked it up: June 30th (3 days after the first round)

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2014/06/30/sam-reinhart-meets-the-buffalo-media-on-family-help-expectations-more/

Can't be the NCAA thing, can it? I'm sure if they haven't worked it out by then then the entire presser will be him and Murray getting bombarded with hypotheticals

I reckon they are waiting for him to announce his decision re: school.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Um, no. There was a story about how the FO chuckled ("hahaha - no") when he asked during his interview whether the # 11 would be available.

Kinda like when Detroit brought Lindstrom over and the equipment manager asked him what number he'd like he said; "I've always worn 9, is that available?"

To which he replied; "Son, that's just not going to happen."

C'mon, man. Your mileage will vary; some of those cats are better than others. But, in any case, those guys deal in volume - a daily grind to generate talking points. Bit of a gratuitous potshot, innit ?

'Twas. I was thinking Dixon Ward.

I reckon they are waiting for him to announce his decision re: school.

Schopp was the one that wrote the article. Meant him more than the whole group. Not a shot. It was a lazy article.

Also - I haven't seen anybody say that point about the front office interview. Have any links? I don't believe that for a second. I highly doubt it happens, but it's an interesting number to wonder about.

Schopp was the one that wrote the article. Meant him more than the whole group. Not a shot. It was a lazy article.

Mmm, K.

Also - I haven't seen anybody say that point about the front office interview. Have any links? I don't believe that for a second. I highly doubt it happens, but it's an interesting number to wonder about.

Don't believe what for a second?

And, hey, speaking of lazy -- apparently we got into this without reading Bill Hoppe (who's really the only mandatory Sabres reading in the MSM).

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/jack-eichel-thrilled-to-be-drafted-by-sabres-i-wanted-to-be-a-part-of-this/ 

What number will Eichel wear? He sported No. 9 in college, a digit winger Evander Kane grabbed in February. Eichel was given No. 15 for 2015 to wear on stage.

“Fifteen’s a good number,” Eichel said. “I’ve worn it before. It’s my dad’s lucky number. It’s my sister’s lucky number. It’s my dad’s number. It happened to be the year I was drafted. So there’s a lot of significance to the No. 15.”

I think it's absolutely the NCAA thing. He needs to keep his options open if, for whatever reason, he doesn't like the offer. I imagine there are a few contractual issues to iron out yet. Sammy didn't have that issue. 

GO SABRES!!!

Mmm, K.

Don't believe what for a second?

And, hey, speaking of lazy -- apparently we got into this without reading Bill Hoppe (who's really the only mandatory Sabres reading in the MSM).

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/jack-eichel-thrilled-to-be-drafted-by-sabres-i-wanted-to-be-a-part-of-this/

What number will Eichel wear? He sported No. 9 in college, a digit winger Evander Kane grabbed in February. Eichel was given No. 15 for 2015 to wear on stage.

“Fifteen’s a good number,” Eichel said. “I’ve worn it before. It’s my dad’s lucky number. It’s my sister’s lucky number. It’s my dad’s number. It happened to be the year I was drafted. So there’s a lot of significance to the No. 15.”

Well aware of him saying that, but when he was asked what number he would wear he said he hadn't decided yet. Likely won't decide until he commits to the NHL, either.

Well aware of him saying that, but when he was asked what number he would wear he said he hadn't decided yet. Likely won't decide until he commits to the NHL, either.

okey-dokey.

i looked and could find a link about the yarn re: eichel asking about #11. i must've heard it on the radio -- probably hamilton relating it? or maybe it came direct from black? anyone else recall hearing that? it was a funny story.

I think it's absolutely the NCAA thing. He needs to keep his options open if, for whatever reason, he doesn't like the offer. I imagine there are a few contractual issues to iron out yet. Sammy didn't have that issue. 

GO SABRES!!!

I thought the only thing holding his decision up was weather he'd spent the whole season with the team? From what I gather that's an unequivocal 'yes', so I don't get the hold up. Doesn't he get the standard rookie contract? FWIW I don't think McDavid has been introduced yet either