The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Great piece by Hockey Buzz, basically saying it's down to the Sabres and Red Wings.  Seems they give the Sabres an edge, simply because of Pegula's deep pockets, relationship with Murray, and plethora of talent.

My 50-20 Red Wings/Sabres odds might be off, but I'll wait until I hear something more concrete before changing my mind.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Report-Sabres-Leafs-Will-Give-Up-3rd-Rounder-To8230/6/68690

Excerpt from article:

It's really a two horse race between Buffalo and Detroit.

The Pegula and Illitch families both want Babcock. Question is, what does Babcock want for himself and his family? I've watched the Darren Dreger TSN sit down interview with Babcock and Holland. I keep coming back to Babcock not knowing how to tell his great friend and boss, Holland, that he is in the midst of a mid-hockey-life-crisis and that he wants to pursue and new challenge in another NHL city. That new city is Buffalo, NY where he will work in lock step with his good friend Tim Murray. The Buffalo pipeline of talent is the best that the NHL has to offer with Jack Eichel set to join Samson Reinhart, Zemgus Girgensons, Zach Bogosian, Evander Kane, Rasmus Ristolainen, Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligno, Nikita Zadorov, Mark Pysyk, Jake McCabe, Nic Deslauriers, Connor Hurley, JT Compher, Nick Baptiste, Justin Bailey, Linus Ullmark and others. What's more, Murray has $38 million in salary cap space to invest in free agents. He will take a hard charge at Ryan O'Reilly and a scoring top six winger like Tyler Toffoli or Patrick Sharp.

The Sabres are on the warpath. The losing is over.

Mike Babcock can step right in place his indelible thumb print on this fine young collection of talent. The Pegulas will pay him north of $40 million, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting.

On the other hand.  The Toronto Star is reporting a source saying Babcock is leaning towards staying in Detroit.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/05/18/philadelphia-flyers-hire-north-dakotas-dave-hakstol-as-new-head-coach.html

Edited by dejeanneret

This is where I am as well.  I get that it's a huge decision for him to make, but the "there's not a better job, there's a different job" quote still bugs me.  I don't want a HC who feels "meh" on my team; I want a guy who comes out of his meeting with GMTM and the Pegulas like this:

http://youtu.be/VGBB929PFKc

Edit: huh -- not sure why that link won't embed.

I'm sure it can be read in a lot of ways, but a valid one is "I don't want to say anything bad about this job until I'm 100% certain I'm done."

http://buffalo.suntimes.com/buffalo-sabres/7/116/128444/report-sabres-filed-paperwork-hire-mike-babcock

Sabres have officially filed paperwork to hire Babcock, including the knowledge that they will be giving up a 3rd round pick.

I believe teams by now have an idea if they are still in the mix, which is why Oilers and Flyers have moved on.

I believe the Sabres, Leafs, and Red Wings are finalists.  I read that Babcock has meeting with Holland tomorrow.  I can't imagine the Sabres doing this if they thought they didn't have a chance.  Likewise, I'm sure they would have gone after McLellan had they known they were out of the Babcock sweepstakes.

So, for now, looks like are one of the few still alive for Babcock's services.

Having just caught up on this thread, this a great summary of the important parts other than the Popcorn Issue as the final shoe drop Babcock is waiting for.

Edited by MattPie

I'd say right now the odds of where Babcock is going is:

Red Wings 50%

Sabres    20%

Leafs    10%

Blues  10%

Sharks 10%

Yeah that seems right to me.

And while i do believe Babcock will decide to stay in Detroit, i think if he were to pick Buffalo (or anyone else) he would still have a meeting with Ken Holland the day before his announcement. He's been there 10 years and they are very close friends and the Red Wings have been great to Babcock throughout his tenure there. I don't think Babcock will allow them to find out the way LeBrun James made the Cavs find out that he decided to pack his bags for South beach during "the decision".

I'm sure it can be read in a lot of ways, but a valid one is "I don't want to say anything bad about this job until I'm 100% certain I'm done."

Having just caught up on this thread, this a great summary of the important parts other than the Popcorn Issue as the final shoe drop Babcock is waiting for.

Dude, the popcorn issue is real.

@DarrenDreger: About to depart Frankfurt en route to Toronto. I'm told not to expect anything out of Detroit and the ongoing Babcock watch today. #TSN

PA where did you hear this? I had heard 4 Million was the highest they would go. But if the Ssbres are approaching 5-6 Million how can he turn it down?

The Red Wings have offered Babcock a deal worth $3.25 million per season, according to MLive.com, a boost from his current salary of $2 million. The Sabres’ offer is believed to be much higher. Both deals would make him the highest-paid coach in the NHL.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/18/babcock-considers-next-move/

Edited by PASabreFan

Early reports coming out of Toronto are that Babcock is leaning towards taking a short-term deal with Detroit, which IMO would be dumb on his part as it seems there's no long term plan there as the talent is getting past it's prime and they need to reload. What I find interesting is that former Penguins coach, Dan Bylsma, has not signed on anywhere. I wonder if the Pegula's reached out to him, told him their plans with Babcock and if that didn't work out, they would bring him in and give him a hefty raise?

Does anyone know how Dylan Larkin looked for Team USA? Just wondering whether Babcock might've come away from Prague with a particularly positive (or negative) impression of him.

He looked good, imo. Fast, good on his skates, hustles. He fit right in from what I saw.

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

If Babcock stays what about Blashill from Grand Rapids?

I would've been on the phone with him yesterday. He has a track record of developing young talent. I may be wrong, but I just get a unsubstantiated feeling GMTM suffers from tunnel vision.

I would've been on the phone with him yesterday. He has a track record of developing young talent. I may be wrong, but I just get a unsubstantiated feeling GMTM suffers from tunnel vision.

No one can talk to Blashill unless Detroit allows it.  Obviously they're not going to do that as long as the Babcock situation is still up in the air.

Bob McKenzie on TSN690 a couple hours ago:

Signs pointing to Babcock staying in Detroit.  

Definitely not going to Toronto.

It sounds like he is going to stay put.

We'll need a coach.  I vote for Blashill.

No one can talk to Blashill unless Detroit allows it.  Obviously they're not going to do that as long as the Babcock situation is still up in the air.

This is true but that will change if/when Babcock re-signs with Detroit.

Holland won't get in the way of Blashill's upward movement around the league.

If that short-term contract for Babcock stuff is to be believed...

I'm going off McKenzie's report that Babock is staying put.

If he says that on the eve of Babcock's decision, it's probably accurate.