Sabres only need 1 regulation loss in last 3 games to clinch last place now...

matter2003

Coyote fans don't even know what's going on...they in no way shape or form deserve either of those players

Lol I forgot about Bogo

I'm not too sure about that first statement. I've interacted with plenty of highly knowledgable Coyotes fans and they very much know what's going on. If you think that because they are in Arizona they don't have smart fans, you're mistaken. I'd be willing to wager that the fans attending Coyotes games now are more knowledgable of hockey and their team than those attending Sabres games right now. 

It just hit me... the perfect next 2 weeks for the Sabres Fans would be:

Lose on Monday and clinch McEichel.

Win on Saturday when the arena will be supporting the Sabres for 60 minutes as loud as it has not been in the past 2 years while eliminating the Pens from the playoff race.

Win the NHL 2015 Draft Lottery...

I'm not too sure about that first statement. I've interacted with plenty of highly knowledgable Coyotes fans and they very much know what's going on. If you think that because they are in Arizona they don't have smart fans, you're mistaken. I'd be willing to wager that the fans attending Coyotes games now are more knowledgable of hockey and their team than those attending Sabres games right now.

They also get an atta'boy for showing up for games while the Dogs are also tanking. It's no Florida.

I would say that is an understatement...he dominated college hockey as a Freshman

For me it is McDavid all the way.  McDavid is not dominating college hockey.

In the end, either will be okay, but my preference is for McDavid.  

Last year there were 4-5 players at the top of the lottery that were nearly equal. This year there are two that are supposed to be "generational". Since 30th place will guarantee a team one of those two, then a proper tank job can make statistical sense. In a normal year a complete tank job to 30th place would gain a team a 20% chance of the first pick in the draft, which might not be all that much better than the next few picks. Hardly worth a complete tank job. 

Last year there were 4-5 players at the top of the lottery that were nearly equal. This year there are two that are supposed to be "generational". Since 30th place will guarantee a team one of those two, then a proper tank job can make statistical sense. In a normal year a complete tank job to 30th place would gain a team a 20% chance of the first pick in the draft, which might not be all that much better than the next few picks. Hardly worth a complete tank job. 

One "generational", one "elite".  Otherwise, yeah.

One "generational", one "elite".  Otherwise, yeah.

Regardless, they are both head and shoulders above the rest per consensus of all the top hockey minds. My contention is that if there weren't two players so far above the rest and it was only one, then tanking the season wouldn't be as important to teams. After all, the odds are very much against every lottery team of gaining the first pick.

If you have watched Jack Eichel you'd know that he is as generational as McDavid. The guy is unreal and he is playing against men relative to McDavid.

Maybe it's nitpicking differences about the term generational, but I haven't heard anyone that might be considered an expert in these things call Eichel "generational".  Everything I've heard is, there is one generational talent and another elite but not generational.

Maybe it's nitpicking differences about the term generational, but I haven't heard anyone that might be considered an expert in these things call Eichel "generational". Everything I've heard is, there is one generational talent and another elite but not generational.

Craig Button did. I don't care for him, but he said it. Then he followed it up with "Canada doesn't know how good Jack Eichel is."

Well, the good news is that, of the seven "kicks at the can" (3 Sabres games, 3 Coyotes games, draft lottery) for McEichel, last night was the one that I gave the longest odds against.  Unfortunately, tonight's game was second.

Edited by carpandean

So what needs to happen based on the outcome of the Carolina game?

The only thing that has changed is the number of chances to lock this up.  We needed one of the following three in the final six games to clinch: one regulation loss by the Sabres, one win by the Coyotes or a combination of any two OT/SO losses by either team.  Now, we need the same but in the final five games.  The odds are still well in the Sabres' favor, but they got a little worse last night.  For example, if you think that each game has a 1/3 chance of going the Sabres' way (and the same odds would be true in the draft lottery should they finish 29th), then their odds of drafting one of McDavid or Eichel went from (1/3)^7 = 94% to (1/3)^6 = 91%.

Edited by carpandean

The only thing that has changed is the number of chances to lock this up.  We needed one of the following three in the final six games to clinch: one regulation loss by the Sabres, one win by the Coyotes or a combination of any two OT/SO losses by either team.  Now, we need the same but in the final five games.  The odds are still well in the Sabres' favor, but they got a little worse last night.  For example, if you think that each game has a 1/3 chance of going the Sabres' way (and the same odds would be true in the draft lottery should they finish 29th), then their odds of drafting one of McDavid or Eichel went from (1/3)^7 = 94% to (1/3)^6 = 91%.

Which is pretty close to the sportsclubstats odds:  96% -> 93%.

My gut feel is that the Yotes pick up at least 1 vs the Nucks.  I'd also expect the BJ's to beat the Sabres.  IF those don't happen, there are serious butterflies in the Pens game, though the Pens SHOULD beat the Sabres.

What better way to get him (un)ready for NHL shooters than a game in the A? ;)

Maybe 'Ders gets the start Friday, and the nuclear option if needed is Makarov in net Saturday, after games in the AHL on both Thursday and Friday? Triple start for Makarov.. :w00t:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.