Sabres only need 1 regulation loss in last 3 games to clinch last place now...

matter2003

And not one of those guys in the dressing room KNOWS he'll be back next year to skate w/ McEichel should they get that extra loss.

When Scott Arniel and Hawerchuk started hearing the rumors that Ducks would be traded for Housley, they were real happy because they were best friends (each the other's best man) and thought they'd finally be reunited.  Didn't exactly work out for them.  The only guarantees these guys have is who they're playing w/ & for today.  

This isn't the Bills mutinying against Bullough, this is a bunch of proud athletes that have too many 3/4 liners playing against other teams' top liners.  These guys (and the Desert Dogs as well) lose because they're not good enough, not because they aren't interested in winning.

Gionta will be back, and the others that are, let's call it "NHL Secure" ie: signed to a contract worth several million dollars, are the ones I'm looking to.  Kaleta too for that matter.  He's not going to earn a contract based on play in games 81 and 82.  Hopefully his friends that grew up Sabres fans are in his ear on this.  

You've gone too far back for me re: Housley years, but I hear ya on brotherhood.  Assuming that's the case "we play for eachother!"  for fs sake, someone snap out of it.  You all are buddies? Great!  Have a beer after the game and do us all a favor and mail the next one in.  

Last point, "they've turned on the coach".  We hear that all the time right?  Minnesota this year.  Lindy a couple years ago.  How does that match up to "these guys are pros, they don't know how to not compete 100% for the win".  It's crap. 

There is no possible way Gionta would ever consider even what you are suggesting.  And no way any player would listen if he did, which he won't, so it doesn't matter.  Of course, this is just my opinion.

Question for you and anyone else thinking along these lines ... do any of you think Shane Doan would ever consider such a meeting with his fellow Coyotes?

Maybe you are all being sarcastic and blowing of steam.

I think just the opposite. A vet like Gionta knows exactly what's at stake and what would happen if the Sabres screwed the pooch. Maybe not a team meeting but a nod and a wink to certain fellow veterans and goalie.  

Gionta is part of this team going forward. Why would he want to set the team back over one meaningless game in Columbus?

Edited by Promonov Robotnik

Arizona wins count as Buffalo losses.  We need one Buffalo regulation loss in our last two or one Arizona win in their last two or any combination of two OT/SO losses by either team in the final four.

Dude.

Gionta will be back, and the others that are, let's call it "NHL Secure" ie: signed to a contract worth several million dollars, are the ones I'm looking to.  Kaleta too for that matter.  He's not going to earn a contract based on play in games 81 and 82.  Hopefully his friends that grew up Sabres fans are in his ear on this.  

You've gone too far back for me re: Housley years, but I hear ya on brotherhood.  Assuming that's the case "we play for eachother!"  for fs sake, someone snap out of it.  You all are buddies? Great!  Have a beer after the game and do us all a favor and mail the next one in.  

Last point, "they've turned on the coach".  We hear that all the time right?  Minnesota this year.  Lindy a couple years ago.  How does that match up to "these guys are pros, they don't know how to not compete 100% for the win".  It's crap. 

There are likely a handful of NTC's on this team.  (Not sure who currently has one.)  Other than those, anybody on this team could be moved for the right offer (and GMTM's pretty much said as much).  But these guys are pretty good at losing, don't honestly believe they have to TRY to lose when it comes this naturally.

Minny turned on the coach?  Were that true, wouldn't they have lost to the Sabres and not gone on a tear after getting Dubnyk?  If this is turning on the coach, they could be scary good if they supported him. 

One thing I have not heard or seen discussed is Brian Gionta, Matt Moulson and Josh Gorges...CHOOSING to come to Buffalo.

Did they decide this, thinking that they could be the key ingredients to get Buffalo to the playoffs this year? Did they not realize how deep into a rebuild this team was? I cannot, for one second, think that they believe they are better off winning these last two games, and costing themselves (especially Gionta and Moulson - wingers) a generational center...who will help them greatly.

They were the captains of this team for the majority of the year, correct? Why would they not take control of that locker room and say something? Is it absurd to think this way?

It's just mind-boggling to me...and quite frankly, I have one foot on the ledge.

(If it has been discussed here, I apologize...but I have definitely never heard it discussed on WGR, at all.)

Lets just agree to disagree on this one.

Anyone that wants to believe that any player, yet alone the captain, on the Sabres will purposely lose (hi Ink) the next game, I say feel free.

I believe that it will never, ever, happen and no one will convince me that it will.

You will believe NS

giphy.gif

One thing I have not heard or seen discussed is Brian Gionta, Matt Moulson and Josh Gorges...CHOOSING to come to Buffalo.

Did they decide this, thinking that they could be the key ingredients to get Buffalo to the playoffs this year? Did they not realize how deep into a rebuild this team was? I cannot, for one second, think that they believe they are better off winning these last two games, and costing themselves (especially Gionta and Moulson - wingers) a generational center...who will help them greatly.

They were the captains of this team for the majority of the year, correct? Why would they not take control of that locker room and say something? Is it absurd to think this way?

It's just mind-boggling to me...and quite frankly, I have one foot on the ledge.

(If it has been discussed here, I apologize...but I have definitely never heard it discussed on WGR, at all.)

Great point re: choice and understanding of the situation.  I suppose one could argue their core principles (work ethic, respect for game) or whatever trump ours.  But meh.

Lets just agree to disagree on this one.

Anyone that wants to believe that any player, yet alone the captain, on the Sabres will purposely lose (hi Ink) the next game, I say feel free.

I believe that it will never, ever, happen and no one will convince me that it will.

Yup.  I can't wait for this to be over.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.