Sabres only need 1 regulation loss in last 3 games to clinch last place now...

matter2003

If this comes down to Pitt, it is going to be the most embarrassing scene in Buffalo sports history....and I will be there with kids. They better getting their ###### kicked Friday night in Columbus and I mean KICKED.

Still hoping Arizona comes through on Thursday night so we all can cheer for a 3-game winning streak. Although if losing to the Pitts pushes the Islanders out of the playoffs, I'll take the one-in-200 shot that Buffalo picks 1 (Isles pick wins lottery) and 2 (Buffalo Pick) instead of one more win.

Based on Buffalo sports history, I expect the Sabres to finish 29th after getting at least 3 points in the next two games. 

After the disaster, GM Tim Murray has a meeting with Ted Nolan in his office. Maybe it goes something like this:

TM: "Come on in Ted, but don't take a seat because this is going to be brief. Ted, do you understand what we are trying to do this season?

Ted Nolan: " What do you mean Tim?"

TM: Did you notice all the trades and moves I made were designed for us to finish last?

Ted Nolan: "No Tim, I had no idea what you were doing."

TM: "Well Ted get your dumb ass out of this office because you are fired you freaking idiot!!!"

Ted: "But I thought winning those last three games would help us evaluate our talent. It is about taking pride in finishing 29th. What don't you understand Tim?

Nolan leaves, door slams. Sabres history is made. 

Any chance Gionta has a players-only, closed-door meeting before the Jackets game?  Tank Friday and have a nice sendoff game Saturday. Win Friday and it gets ugly for everyone.

No chance of that happening, IMO.

Gionta has done a fantastic job of keeping this motley crew together.  That is the only reason why he is here.  He will never, ever, contemplate what you are suggesting.

Based on Buffalo sports history, I expect the Sabres to finish 29th after getting at least 3 points in the next two games. 

After the disaster, GM Tim Murray has a meeting with Ted Nolan in his office. Maybe it goes something like this:

TM: "Come on in Ted, but don't take a seat because this is going to be brief. Ted, do you understand what we are trying to do this season?

TM: Did you notice all the trades and moves I made were designed for us to finish last?

TM: "Well Ted get your dumb ass out of this office because you are fired you freaking idiot!!!"

Ted: "But I thought winning those last three games would help us evaluate our talent. It is about taking pride in finishing 29th. What don't you understand Tim?

Seriously, Nolan has the chance to go from one of the most beloved coaches in Sabres history in his first stint with the club to the most reviled in his second (and last).

Based on Buffalo sports history  an irrational belief that long past negative performance shapes future events in a negative fashion, I expect the Sabres to finish 29th after getting at least 3 points in the next two games. 

Fixed.  And the Shart will be ours.

Any chance Gionta has a players-only, closed-door meeting before the Jackets game?  Tank Friday and have a nice sendoff game Saturday. Win Friday and it gets ugly for everyone.

No, but I'm sure he has an inner circle - probably the veterans down to Ennis or maybe Foligno.  He may talk to a few of them and tell them the obvious - if they want a good fan appreciation night, that they'd better have 30th locked up before the game starts.

No, but I'm sure he has an inner circle - probably the veterans down to Ennis or maybe Foligno.  He may talk to a few of them and tell them the obvious - if they want a good fan appreciation night, that they'd better have 30th locked up before the game starts.

There is no possible way Gionta would ever consider even what you are suggesting.  And no way any player would listen if he did, which he won't, so it doesn't matter.  Of course, this is just my opinion.

Question for you and anyone else thinking along these lines ... do any of you think Shane Doan would ever consider such a meeting with his fellow Coyotes?

Maybe you are all being sarcastic and blowing of steam.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

As NS said, there's no way that Gionta or any other coach or player intentionally loses.  This team has earned its being locked into 30th through 80 games (and at minimum 81); here's to hoping they manage to maintain it legitimately through all 82.

If this comes down to Pitt, it is going to be the most embarrassing scene in Buffalo sports history....and I will be there with kids. They better getting their ###### kicked Friday night in Columbus and I mean KICKED.

I've no need or desire to see their butts handed to them Friday night.  Another 1-2 goal regulation loss will do just fine.  (Though I'd much prefer the lopsided loss to the 1 goal victory right about now. ;))

This team is playing at a better team on Friday and they are hosting a better team on Saturday.  They SHOULD be able to lock 30th on Friday (at the latest) but even if they don't, I expect to be able to legitimately cheer them on on Saturday but leave the building with the satisfaction of having 1/2 of McEichel locked up.

Let's hope so.  It's the right thing to do.  Not sure how these posters who don't know him personally can state "no possible way".  They are gonna tell us "well, they are pro athletes" blah blah blah.  That's the pedestal we like to put them on.  I'm not buying it.  They are regular guys just everyone here, just happen to be gifted athletes, etc.

I would say, without a doubt, that this won't happen.  Certainly not with the whole team.  Too many guys who might not be here next year to let that get out.  Even if it's just ...

I doubt it.  I would like it to and would like to believe that it could, but unfortunately, no.

Now, should it come down to a shootout on Saturday (or even Friday), I would hope that they would do as Rob Ray said and "shoot it into the boards." 

Edited by carpandean

Let's hope so.  It's the right thing to do.  Not sure how these posters who don't know him personally can state "no possible way".  They are gonna tell us "well, they are pro athletes" blah blah blah.  That's the pedestal we like to put them on.  I'm not buying it.  They are regular guys just everyone here, just happen to be gifted athletes, etc.

And not one of those guys in the dressing room KNOWS he'll be back next year to skate w/ McEichel should they get that extra loss.

When Scott Arniel and Hawerchuk started hearing the rumors that Ducks would be traded for Housley, they were real happy because they were best friends (each the other's best man) and thought they'd finally be reunited.  Didn't exactly work out for them.  The only guarantees these guys have is who they're playing w/ & for today.  

This isn't the Bills mutinying against Bullough, this is a bunch of proud athletes that have too many 3/4 liners playing against other teams' top liners.  These guys (and the Desert Dogs as well) lose because they're not good enough, not because they aren't interested in winning.

I can see him having a players-only meeting to tell them to play their hardest and finish the season with 2 wins.

It really will be ugly, if it happens.  I fully expect some jackwagon to send death threats to players if we win that game and miss out on 30th.  I think it will be the worst scene the NHL has witnessed since Vancouver fans rioted after losing the cup a few years ago. 

The boos would be cascading down on the players like never before.  Huge cheers for any positive Pens play.  Just an ugly scene. 

It really will be ugly, if it happens.  I fully expect some jackwagon to send death threats to players if we win that game and miss out on 30th.  I think it will be the worst scene the NHL has witnessed since Vancouver fans rioted after losing the cup a few years ago. 

The boos would be cascading down on the players like never before.  Huge cheers for any positive Pens play.  Just an ugly scene. 

:huh: :unsure:

The utter and total distain which fans hold for their fellow fans is truly amazing at times. 

So, last I checked we needed a loss in our last two games. Is that still true? Or what if Arizona loses one. Does that count to?

Arizona wins count as Buffalo losses.  We need one Buffalo regulation loss in our last two or one Arizona win in their last two or any combination of two OT/SO losses by either team in the final four.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.